Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

mistwalkr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Post by mistwalkr »

I enjoyed both Divergent and Insurgent. I must admit, however, that I have not and probably will not read Allegiant. For no better reason than I was given a spoiler -- someone basically told me the entire story. I may check it out from the library one day, but for me reading a book someone has explained in excruciating detail is kind of like watching Titanic several times hoping for a different outcome.

I won't watch the movie(s). Not until several years have passed and I can safely think of it as separate from the books because, I'm sorry, the movie is never as good as the book. At least, not in my mind.
mccarty231
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mccarty231.html

Post by mccarty231 »

I enjoyed Divergent. I think I would probably give it 3-4 stars. It tackles some interesting issues and kept my attention engaged. However, I didn't feel that it engaged far past a rather superficial look at dystopia. Tris and Four were the only characters who really developed at all, and I think this greatly hindered the book. What keeps me interested in a series is usually a larger, quirky cast of characters, as opposed to a rather limited view of one or two, particularly when the two are romantically involved.
soccerstar95
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerstar95.html
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot

Post by soccerstar95 »

Divergent is a pretty good book. I couldn't put it down for the 1st half but lost interest after that. I finished the trilogy but I don't particularly like Tris. However, I thought it was a decent plotline which gave a somewhat plausible outcome of the future.
Latest Review: "Introducing The Helmholtz Resonators" by The Helmholtz Resonators, illustrated by James Lightfoot
jelena52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelena52.html

Post by jelena52 »

I liked Divergent and I agree that it should be stand alone. It was a great dystopia novel but I didn't like the other two, especially the ending of the third one. I understand that author wanted some BANG to end it but...
So I would recommended reading Divergent as stand alone novel and forget that sequels exist :)
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

After reading comments here, I looked up the author. I didn't know she was that young! It's still not going to make my top ten, but it does change my feelings about the book somewhat.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
brynabee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brynabee.html

Post by brynabee »

I liked Divergent. It had enough action and interesting ideas to keep my interest throughout. I could have done without the teenage love story but I understand why those elements are important to the story for lots of readers. It wasn't as good as a few of the books that it can be compared to, but I did like it a lot. The books that followed in the series I felt differently about. Those were a bit dull, focusing too much (for me) on the inter-governmental shenanigans. The divergent movie was really good! I thought that it show cased the book perfectly and it was clear that the author had a big part in developing the screenplay for the movie. Highly recommend both.
mackg2012

Post by mackg2012 »

I think that Divergent is one of those books that tons of people can love for different reasons. To me it was an entertaining and at times heart wrenching read. It was a book about sacrifice, loyalty, friendship, love, and deciding what is right and wrong when you're faced with new information. It was also, importantly to me, a self finding sort of series. Both of the main characters, as well as supporting characters, go through the different journeys and begin to discover who they really are, sometimes it concerns them and sometimes it helps them to understand themselves.
msinc1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msinc1.html

Post by msinc1 »

I think Divergent was the next Hunger Games. It gives another look into how the future came about after everyone killed each other. The idea of how factions depend on each other to live in a "peaceful" society was interesting on how the future was living. I think the most I liked about the book was how the leaders of the society created the factions to keep peace and order, but ended up controlling and taking away everyone's freedom. This resulted in history repeating itself. Control and power corrupting minds of society. The action and thrill of the book is exciting and keeps the story going by always wanting to know what's happening next. There is really never a dull moment in the book.
Eri Nikaido

Post by Eri Nikaido »

I know divergent is a movie title which many my friend recommended me to saw. I truly didn't know it made from book, before I entered this forum. Which made me curious about the book, at first I skeptic when the story told from the first person view as I don't like this type telling usually it bored me to the death. Surprise surprise instead made me sleep, I could not stop reading it. The world Veronica Roth build, I thought at one point it could be happen especially after great disaster it made with good intention but become corrupt at the end as I read it even from the very beginning I could guess the main story plot ( I suspect I not the only one ) but the way she build the story is so good, the pace is fast and have a little mix of everything there is romance, a little detective work and war. It also got the complexity of relationship beetwen character although the description of the character emotion not deep enough to made me felt it . Aside from that I would recomended this book to my friend and give 4 of 5 star.
amc212177

Post by amc212177 »

I have not had a chance to read as of yet but I heard that is a good book.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I'm a really huge fan of books with dystopian societies and strong heroines that try to overthrow the system. I thought Divergent was very interesting and fun to read and really made me think about my own traits and personality. It also made me think of the choices Tris made like leaving her family and going off to be with Dauntless and I got to thinking if leaving my family is something I would do in order to find myself and where I truly belong. Overall this was a very fun book that got me thinking and I would definitely recommend it to others.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

I really try to read all of the books of the month, and I love dystopian literature, but I'm going to pass on this one. I read the book of the month selections looking for something new that I wouldn't otherwise pick up, which is not Divergent. I also don't like starting series when my TBR list is so long. I will definitely read these books one day, but not this month. I'll let the fervor die down a bit from the movie first and wait until the holds list dies down at the library.
musiclover182013
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Bone Season
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musiclover182013.html
Latest Review: American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O'Connor
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by musiclover182013 »

I honestly loved this book. To begin with, I did not think I would like it all, but as soon as I started reading, I was hooked. It is a quick and easy read and contains a lot of action in my opinion. I have recommended this to all my friends and family that have not already read it.
ohmira
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Abhorsen
Currently Reading: Dune
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by ohmira »

I know many people seemed to love this book (and series), but I really didn't care too much for it. I would only give it 2.5 stars out of 5. For me, it can best be summed up by, "Meh."
I absolutely loved The Hunger Games, though, and I generally like dystopians, but this one seemed generic and just did not draw me in.
Marisolbaldera27

Post by Marisolbaldera27 »

I did not like Divergent. I'm not sure why . I think that since I usually discover books before it made into a movie , it's more appealing to me. But I heard of Divergent as a trailor so when I read if I wasn't so interested. I like the theme and the plot but the way it was written sound so boring to me.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”