Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

Athertle
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athertle.html

Icon Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Post by Athertle »

Divergent was an amazing book. It described a very original world with imaginative settings. I personally think that this book was one of the more descriptive and thoughtfully planned out books, similar to The Hunger Games and Ender's Game.

It has a bit too much romance for me, but overall, it had just the right amount of mystery, sadness, victory, and etc. packed into the book.

All-in-all, this book has more bang for your buck. It doesn't quite follow the "bandwagon" lead of most books, but instead leads an interesting setting. This was definitely a great read.
sammi8764
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammi8764.html

Post by sammi8764 »

It was okay, but definitely not worth all the hype. It's one of those YA novels that have basically the same storyline as all the others, the only difference is the story itself. It's an interesting topic, the factions and initiations give it a nice twist, but at the same time, like aweirdassbooknerd said, there was no world-building and it is just another cookie-cutter novel. I also did not like Tris. At all. She just really bugged me. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but her personality was just not likable. I felt like I'd already read the story while I was reading the story because it was so predictable. This one girl in particular is special, she falls in love with a guy who's rude and mean to her, oh no, something bad's happening, but it'll be okay because they'll save the day! I don't know, it just doesn't seem very original to me. I liked the first book well enough, but with all the hype it's getting, it kind of turned me against reading the next two novels. Everyone obsesses over Divergent and I just don't think it's worth that much praise. I tried reading Insurgent and I just couldn't. I couldn't get into the story, Tris was getting on my nerves again, and I already know pretty much everything that happens (thanks Internet...)

I gave this book a 3 out 4, because I mean it wasn't terrible, but at the same time it just wasn't that great. The book itself was good, which is why it's a 3 and not a 2, but the series and the predictable love story just doesn't do it for me. If I could I probably would have given this a 2.5. It just doesn't fit right with me.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

- C. S. Lewis
Hola2Cora
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hola2cora.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Hola2Cora »

This book is 4 out of 4 stars, because it was an easy read that had enough action in the book to keep the reader hooked. The world the characters lived in was creative enough to keep one's curiosity peaked and eager to learn more. The characters in the book were believable. Tris, the main character, is everyone's fantasy to be able to become better than that you aspire to be, which made it easy to like her. The morals of the book is appropriate for the age group that is targeted. The story was so greatly paced that I went on to read the rest of the series. I think this triology was better written than the Hunger Games triology.

If someone liked the first book of the Hunger Games and not so much the second and really not liked the third book, then this triology will be a treat. The second book had enough action in it to keep the story moving. The author changed her writing style in the third book. That was distracting, however, once you reach the end of the book, the reader understands why the author chose that route.

The ending of Divergent left the reader cheering for their heroes and interested to find out what happened to them. The ending of the triology was different than what was expected, because it did not follow the same type of endings from the previous two books.
Overall for the whole triology I give it a 3 out of 4 stars. The story was well written and had enough action to maintain a good pace throughout the story.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Sally Balboa
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-balboa.html
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf

Post by Sally Balboa »

I admit that I am caught up in the YA craze that everyone else is caught up in as well, so my review may seem biased but I sincerely enjoyed this book. At times things didn't make sense, the government, and the people mostly. But lets not forget this is a YA fiction novel and therefor the writers own version of reality, and taking that into consideration this is a very creative piece, with an original portrayal of society.

(Spoilers)
Divergent is about Tris and how she desperately feels confined by her group, the self-less Abnegation. At her test where she sees where she should be placed her results are inconclusive a very dangerous thing that she's warned not to share with anyone else. At her choosing she chooses what she's always longed for but never admitted, Dauntless, the dare-devil group that's all about Bravery. There she will learn about her true self and about something far greater then herself, can Tris remain strong long enough to watch everything she loves die?

As mentioned before there were some plotline holes in the government, such as why would they set it up so that it can collapse so easily, or why do we just assume that these people are what they say? Is the entire society an idiot? Probably.

I liked watching Tris grow as a character even if I don't agree with every decision she made, I enjoyed watching her become Divergent in the true sense of the word. Then watching her learn to love herself, to be selfish, and to be selfless. It was a beautiful sight.
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

I enjoyed Divergent so much that I read all three books without stopping! I tried to imagine which faction I would fit into and I think I would have been "divergent". I loved the Dauntless and I appreciated that the author allowed them to still be teens while taking on all of their various responsibilities. It was a surprise to find out that they were nothing more than an experiment to the government and that every aspect of their lives was displayed on monitors for all on the "outside" to see. The fight for power among the faction and factionless leaders was cut throat and the few who did make it out saved the day. I didn't like the ending of the last book because I am a romantic and wanted "Four" and Tres to live happily ever after in the new world they sacrificed so much for.
fitzthegreat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzthegreat.html

Post by fitzthegreat »

It's an interesting story and read, however, it quickly resembles the post apocalyptic genre of a female hero that has to overcome a society. The writing is mediocre but still an interesting read. If you loved the Hunger Games...you will obviously love Divergent.
toriborip
Favorite Author: Robin Jones Gunn
Currently Reading: The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toriborip.html
fav_author_id: 5926

Post by toriborip »

I read divergent earlier in the year because all my friends told me it was amaizing and I needed to read it before the movie came out in March... So I read it. I loved it. I couldnt put it down. It, like almost all my favorite books, became an escape for me. I enjoyed the movie. However, I still stick to my "Book was better than the movie" opinion.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I was pretty disappointed, and gave it two stars. Maybe my expectations were too high because of all the hype. I agree with most of the negative comments about it that people posted earlier. I didn't find it all that engaging, and didn't really care for the characters. I thought the whole Dauntless "bravery" thing was dumb, and not brave. I did not find it believable that most people would naturally fit into one of these super restrictive factions. You know that Four is Marcus' son the second that Tris meets him, and yet it takes her forever to figure it out -- ok, foreshadowing, I get it, but it's still annoying. Tris can't bear to shoot Peter, but doesn't hesitate to shoot Will in the head (shoulder? Leg? Hand? No, head), which I found artificial and formulaic. Overall, I thought it was a little weak. Sorry to all of you who loved it! I did enjoy it enough to read it, and would like to finish the series to know what happens, though I am having a really hard time making myself read book 2.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

My daughter was right when she said I would like Hunger Games, so when she recommended Divergent, I was all for giving it a try. I wasn't disappointed. It was interesting to see a take on society where everyone is put into a box, but it's a shame that you have to take a chance on being Factionless based on a decision made at the age of 16.

I didn't have the opportunity to read the book before seeing the movie. I am glad because I wouldn't have enjoyed the movie as much, if I had read the book first.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html

Post by AnaF »

I really enjoyed reading this book. I liked the world - the division into factions - and the characters - Tris and Four were fantastic. It showed great promise and I just hoped the rest of the trilogy was as good ...

As for the movie, I really loved the adaptation! I think they did a pretty great job and even though at first I questioned the casting by the end of the movie I had put aside all my doubts. Even though the actor who played Four was much older than the character, I think it was a great decision because he was able to convey the intensity and complexity that characterizes Four.
darkfairy[13]

Post by darkfairy[13] »

The Divergent series was one of the series I have read in a while. When I picked up the book it was hard to put down when u get to the best parts of the books. The last book of the divergent series was very interesting.
arnaleigh
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arnaleigh.html
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran

Post by arnaleigh »

I liked the idea of this book a lot and while it was an enjoyable read, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
Latest Review: "Risking Exposure" by Jeanne Moran
vsc_vet_tech
Favorite Author: I have a few.
Favorite Book: Hard to narrow to one
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsc-vet-tech.html
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Reading Device: B005890FN0

Post by vsc_vet_tech »

I enjoyed Divergent. It has been on my list to read for awhile,so when it came up on the book club list I was happy. I liked the story and all the tension that was created in the narritive. I, too, am leary of books that Have been made into movies...is it just the hype of the movie or is the book really good and worth my time. I was pleasently surprised. Tris is a character that I found myself rooting for. Highly recommend and cannot wait to read the other two books jnthe series!!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Wrena29

Post by Wrena29 »

Divergent is a solid first book in Veronica Roth's dystopian trilogy. I really enjoyed the concept of factions and how Roth went about establishing each faction's identity from external dress and behavior to internal values and principles. In my opinion, the main character is what makes the story, and I love Tris. She is highly relatable, full of the capacity to wonder, hate, hurt, love, and grow. She strives to find strength and clarity, which is a huge draw for me because I can't stand weak or muddled characters.
Overall, Divergent is a series worth picking up. It is an entertaining read that will keep your attention and surprise you with bits of thoughtful nuance about human nature.
GeonnaMarie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geonnamarie.html
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Post by GeonnaMarie »

I actually only read Divergent because my friend kept badgering me about it, but I ended up really enjoying it. At the time, I hadn't really read anything like it, so I found the whole plot really interesting. The novel is set in a post-apocalyptic Chicago in which everyone is divided into five factions based on their nature. Abnegation-Selfless, Amity- peaceful, Candor-honest, Dauntless - brave, and Erudite - intelligent. Every year, each sixteen-year-old takes an aptitude test that lets them know the faction they are best suited for. After receiving their results, they can decide either to remain with their family's faction or transfer to a new one. I thought that it was actually written well, and at no point did I find myself rolling my eyes and thinking what was happening was ridiculous. I enjoyed the personal growth that Tris goes through as well. I will say that the first book prompted me to read the rest of the series, and I was incredibly let down..
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost.
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”