Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Discuss the June 2014 book of the month Divergent by Veronica Roth. While only Divergent--the first book of the series--is the book of the month, feel free to use this subforum to discuss the rest of the series or to talk about the movies, but make sure not to post spoilers unless noted in the topic title.

How do you rate Divergent?

1 star - poor, recommend against reading it
5%
2 stars - fair, okay
11%
3 stars - good, recommend it
43%
4 stars - excellent, amazing
42%

Total votes: 194

allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Icon Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Divergent

Post by allesha »

I love dystopian books and really enjoyed Divergent. The whole series was a fast read!
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
DickDatchery
Favorite Author: Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Crime and Punishment [Dostoevsky]
Currently Reading: The Bleeding Edge [Pynchon]
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dickdatchery.html
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
fav_author_id: 9655

Post by DickDatchery »

Sounds like this book is along the lines of the Hunger Games. I like the genre, but after reading the reviews here, I think I should skip this one and keep looking.
Latest Review: "XIANNE" by Jayce Grayson
Tanafee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tanafee »

A great read that tells a lot about human nature. It really talks about how power can change people. Some people get more brave, of course people are supposed to get wiser, people get more friendly, and are supposed to be more selfless.
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

was about to read due to a friends suggestion - now I'm a little scared after these posts
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I enjoyed reading the book personally but it didn't do wonders for me so I can't really relate to people when they say it's one of the best books ever written.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

kasi33 wrote:I really liked "Divergent". I would say that you should expect them to have the base elements of a YA, so that being said, the plot was amazing! Dystopian novels are always a fun read, so it was nice to have one with this type of story line.
I would prefer to have more of a back story of the society they live in, such as; is this Earth that they live on? How long has their society been this way? What rises and falls have they had?
I think a short story prequel set on the main characters' parents, mainly Tris', would be an amazing addition to this series!
I agree, I would love to see more of a back story on the society, and Tris' parents.

Overall I enjoyed Divergent as well
addy

Post by addy »

i seriously loved this book. It deserves 10 stars and more. Everybody should read it.
AryanaMender
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aryanamender.html

Post by AryanaMender »

It took me awhile to finally pick up Divergent, but I'm happy that I did. I really enjoyed it. The characters were developed well, as was the entire plot. My only real issue was the ending. It seemed to move far too quickly for my liking (and led into a second book, which I can't get through). I would still recommend it to anyone interested in Dystopian fiction.
wanderingmuses
Favorite Author: Too many.
Favorite Book: Way too many.
Currently Reading: The Darkest Minds.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanderingmuses.html

Post by wanderingmuses »

I really enjoyed Divergent. It was my favorite out of the series and one of the first dystopian books that I got my hands on when I first got into the genre. It had a slow start but quickly made up for that and I remember having to put the book down at some point because I was starting to get way to anxiety about what's going to happen next. Definitely recommend it for everyone, it's a very good read.
toshilou
Favorite Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: The Night Circus
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshilou.html
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
fav_author_id: 5235

Post by toshilou »

When I first found the book it was one of out on my list of wanting to read. I was glad to discover that I enjoyed it much more than if initially hoped.
Latest Review: "Outcast" by Marc Saville
phases

Post by phases »

looks like I missed the poll but loved this series. Even with the ending that it has, I still loved it. I just remembered this is another book that made me cry. I have to go find that thread again. I would highly recommend this series. :lol:
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

I have to agree with aweirdassbooknerd's take on the book. I can see how some people might like it, but I did not find it compelling at all. I suppose there were moments which worked, but for the most part, I kept wanting to put it down and go clean my fridge instead. Which says a lot about how much I disliked it, since I really don't like cleaning the fridge.

-- 23 Jul 2014, 23:04 --
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
anahal

Post by anahal »

My overall rating of Divergent is 5 stars and I loved every single minute of the book. I cried at the ending which is always a good sign.
MamaBookAddict
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ashes by jeaniene Frost
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabookaddict.html

Post by MamaBookAddict »

I thought that Divergent was good although a little slow at times. The idea of a society divided into 4 or 5 groups is a scary one, especially since it could really happen. I am, however, intrigued enough to read book 2. Id really like to follow Tris and Tobias's story and see how and if they survive being 'divergent'
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill
sweetmyself

Post by sweetmyself »

I am at the third book, loved the idea of a society divided into groups because it could actually happen, would not be good tho. The characters are interesting and each have their own story's witch bring an extra to this book that I loved. It does get long sometimes especially in the second book I felt there were scenes repeating themselves, but overall it was a great book and I am looking forward to reading the third one.

Return to “"Divergent" by Veronica Roth”