Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read that b

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

did this book really get across the point that suicide isn't the answer?

yes it did
52%
a little, but not really
48%

Total votes: 102

Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Thirteen Reasons Why- Jay Asher...So anyone else read th

Post by Mannie913 »

It's been a little while since I read this book but I do remember how much I loved it. It was depressing but it really let you see what can influence a person's decision in reference to life and death. I think it really helps show kids that other teens are going through the same things. It helps bullies to understand that although they might not mean what they say, it can still have a meaningful impact on someone's life. The only downside I saw with the book but it did fantasize the idea of suicide. It showed that by committing suicide she was able to upset all the people who upset her while she was living. I am planning on rereading this book soon since Netflix is coming out with a TV show based off the book.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

I read this book a little while ago but it still is fresh in my mind. The story and the letters are very powerful to the reader. Suicide is not an easy topic to talk about or even write about but it does need to be discussed. This book takes a stance into what the person is thinking before committing suicide. The point of view in the book is really interesting because in many other books the point of view is of the people affected by the tragedy but this one is both in a way. While there are sections that are used to make a good story, the overall theme and topic is portrayed very well. Suicide is not the answer and this book helps to show that with all the pain and emotion inside the writing.
BookSavvy90
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksavvy90.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by BookSavvy90 »

This book is near and dear to my heart because I have actually contemplated suicide and even came close to actually ending my life so I know 100% how Hannah feels. It does a great job of showing how the little actions can have fatal consequences. It's raw and emotional and doesn't sugar coat things that the majority of people prefer not to speak about. It's cruel but it opens the readers eyes to the pain of someone that desperate. I gladly recommend this to everyone especially those who go on blindly thinking 'oh they're fine it's just a phase'. Because believe me when I say: it's not a phase.

:(
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
DShore
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dshore.html

Post by DShore »

I just picked up this book today and it seems like it is off to an interesting start. I hope I'll be able to like it.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It was a decent book but suprisingly the Netflix series was better.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I just finished watching the Netflix series and I think it should have been labeled as a trigger warning. Man, did it bum me out and bring up lots of old stuff I thought I had dealt with.

I haven't read the book so I would like to know how others who are familiar with both think the two compare?
MarvelGirl
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Currently Reading: Tender Is the Night
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by MarvelGirl »

Christina O Phillips wrote:I just finished watching the Netflix series and I think it should have been labeled as a trigger warning. Man, did it bum me out and bring up lots of old stuff I thought I had dealt with.

I haven't read the book so I would like to know how others who are familiar with both think the two compare?
I've read the book two or three times now, and just finished watching the show.

I have to say, I definitely prefer the book! The show really should have had better trigger warnings, and should not have shown the full scene of Hannah's suicide.

The book was better than the show on several levels, but perhaps the most important one was that in the book, Hannah is clearly a flawed character. While other characters throughout the novel are quite cruel to here, the book makes it clear that suicide was never Hannah's only option.

In the book, author Jay Asher brilliantly manages to show teen readers that suicide is a complex issue that will always negatively impact more than only the person attempting to kill themselves. My copy of the book also included interviews with him as well as information about teen helplines. It truly is a novel meant for teens that allows teens to learn more about how depression, assault, and other issues affect young adults.

The show, however, changes so much about the book. While I don't mind minor changes (adding in social media, for example, an element that was wholly missing from the 2007 novel), the tone changes in the show and does not manage to fully explore any character in the same way that the book did.

Overall, I would say to check out the book if you would like to experience the better of the two and for anyone reading this who has not watched the show yet, be wary and consider avoiding it if you are triggered by sexual assault, suicide, or physical fights.
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 159

Post by Lolly_Reader »

This is a relatively rare example of the television series being superior to the book. The changes made improved the plot lines and heightened the suspense.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I read this book when I was in my early teens and I loved it. I want to revisit it now as an adult and see if I feel the same.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I have to respectfully disagree with someone who said that the book had better characterization than the series. The book was missing a lot of things to me. Even though each character has their own chapter, none of the characters were developed. They were all spoken of in past tense and also the reasons that they did what they did was never explored.

The series brings them to life and also provides much needed background. We finally see what factors led to their decisions to hurt Hannah. We also finally find out how they felt about Hannah's death and rather or not they feel regret.

We learn so much about Clay more than we ever got from the novel. Also the book's ending was disappointing. There was no resolution and one has to question whether the characters truly learn a lesson or not. In the book, suicide isn't treated as seriously as it was in the series when we see Hannah's suicide scene.

The series basically answered the questions that the book failed to answer.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I just finished watching the Netflix series of 13 reasons why. I didn't even realize it was a book until I read this post. I thought that it was a good show to watch based just on drama and suspense, but I don't think it really drove in the message that suicide shouldn't be an option. I say this because one of the characters tried to commit suicide right after Hannah did. Also, there is a scene that shows Hannah killing herself. If you want people not to commit suicide then why would you show someone killing themselves?
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I strongly disliked the tv rendition of 13 Reasons Why. The show just didn't click with me and I empathized with none of the characters. And because of the bad taste the show left in my mouth I'm very cautious to read the book.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I recently watched the TV series ( I was up until 3am finishing it, it's gripping!) I wanted to see what changes were made from the book and I think the TV show sounds better in most aspects. I probably would not read the book now.
The most important is the message, which remained the same.
What a heavy show! Brought up a lot of stuff. I would make all teens watch it.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Rayne-alexandria
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rayne-alexandria »

Started to read the book, couldn't get into it... I gave up and got the audio book from the local library. It's honestly still not one of my favorites. It was well written. And suicide is an important topic. But the characters just seemed so boring to me.
Fuzee4
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 427

Post by Fuzee4 »

Yeah, this book might be depressing but I devoured it like a madwoman and it became one of my favourites. It still is.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”