Official Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With Ron and Bing Slaughter’s near expulsion and their somewhat evil teacher who bullies them, they really need to put all their efforts in studying for the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). Otherwise working at McDonald’s, like their parents, for the rest of their lives is extremely plausible. Due to not wanting this career path, the boys and their band mates, Meat and Kaitlyn, make plans to both rehearse and study together the night before the SAT.

However, what starts out as normal band practice and studying takes a quick and evil turn. The teenagers are thrown into a dangerous and life-threatening ride involving supernatural forces they never knew existed. Follow the twins and their friends as they battle evil in the young adult read, Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.

Right from the beginning, the author grabbed my attention. Both Ron and Bing were sweet and funny, and the relationship with their teacher, Mr. Brom, seemed almost comical. Then, the author quickly wove in the supernatural; at this point of the story, there was a strange combination of my heart rate picking up due to potential danger with bursts of giggles with what was being said. Though unfortunately, as the story continued, my excitement did dwindle some.

Written in the third-person omniscient point of view, this novel was more plot driven than character driven. Most characters didn’t have a clear background story, and there were points in the story where full names and/or specific titles of some characters were given toward the end instead of when they were introduced. In fact, a group of women that helped Ron and Bing were named Red, Blue, and Yellow, but nothing else was said about them. They happened to be the only women represented, aside from Kaitlyn, but were barely significant. Due to not knowing the characters very well, it became a challenge to care about their outcomes.

There were also some plot points that I questioned throughout. For one, I found some of the teenagers’ reactions to be unrealistic. If my life was threatened, I would have some fear, but it didn’t feel like they were afraid much, especially toward the end; it was almost as if there was a lack of emotion for many. For another, the main theme of good versus evil was poorly executed. It was explicitly stated, which was unnecessary, and explained in a monologue right before a big action sequence; this took away from the action scene as I was too distracted on how unrealistic it was that the theme was explicitly stated. Finally, the author used golfers as one of the antagonists here, but it wasn’t clear why they were used when their counterpart was the more sinister group, the Servants of Darkness. This also brought to mind the question - why did the golfers want to call upon a dark, evil force?

With the underdevelopment of the characters and the plot holes, I give Demon Freaks a 2 out of 4 stars. I should mention that “Jesus Christ” as an “oh my gosh” phrase is often used, perhaps too often, and a mention of God potentially being a “jerk” might affect the enjoyment of some. For those who are not bothered by this and enjoy more plot-driven, somewhat humorous, with some action of a tale might find this a fun read.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Thanks for a review, I enjoyed reading it. I liked the fact that there are some comical elements in some parts of the book, that makes it easier to read it if you are not such a fan of getting terrified even though you like this genre so much.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, walkingfreckle! I really enjoyed the comic relief in this book; it definitely helped when something a bit scarier is happening.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It almost seems like the author isn't quite sure what he wants this book to be. It almost seems to be religious, but then mentioning God as a jerk? Weird. Plus the lack of emotions on the characters part would be off putting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I enjoyed reading your review, but I'm going to have to pass on the book itself. It seems as though the concept hasn't been fully worked out.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Lack of character development and unrealistic reactions are two of my biggest pet peeves! It's too bad the author missed the mark with this one. I had originally considered reviewing this one, but I'm glad I skipped it. Great job critiquing this one!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote:It almost seems like the author isn't quite sure what he wants this book to be. It almost seems to be religious, but then mentioning God as a jerk? Weird. Plus the lack of emotions on the characters part would be off putting. Thanks for the review.
It's kind of centered about religion in a backdoor kind of way, if that makes sense. Questioning if God is a jerk kind of stung for me. And yeah, I think he had an idea that could have gone far, but there were so many aspects that weren't answered or clearly explained. Hopefully, the author can get a clearer view eventually.

-- 18 Sep 2017, 16:54 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:I enjoyed reading your review, but I'm going to have to pass on the book itself. It seems as though the concept hasn't been fully worked out.
Thank you, LivreAmour217! I agree, the main concept seems a bit jumbled. Hopefully, it'll get worked out soon enough.

-- 18 Sep 2017, 16:56 --
MarisaRose wrote:Lack of character development and unrealistic reactions are two of my biggest pet peeves! It's too bad the author missed the mark with this one. I had originally considered reviewing this one, but I'm glad I skipped it. Great job critiquing this one!
Lack of character development and unrealistic reactions are off-putting for me, too. It's too bad because it started off pretty well, but it didn't build as much as it could have. Thank you, MarisaRose, for your kind words and thoughts!
Heidi

geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Now, this is something I am totally into, teenage dealing with the supernatural. Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, geoffrey ngoima! If you get a chance to read it, hope you enjoy!
Heidi

MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Man, what a disappointment! I was immediately drawn to this book's title and cover, but apparently what's inside doesn't live up to what's outside.

I have to care about the characters if I'm going to enjoy a book, so the fact that they're not drawn as well as they could be is a downer. And I think reading that explanation just before the climax would frustrate me to no end.
kransom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kransom »

This book would not let me go it was that good
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MsTri wrote:Man, what a disappointment! I was immediately drawn to this book's title and cover, but apparently what's inside doesn't live up to what's outside.

I have to care about the characters if I'm going to enjoy a book, so the fact that they're not drawn as well as they could be is a downer. And I think reading that explanation just before the climax would frustrate me to no end.
Thank you, MsTri, for your thoughts. I share the same thoughts - I have to care about the characters in order for me to enjoy the book. Agreed, the good vs. evil explanation was a bit much; honestly, if nothing was said, I'm pretty sure that the audience would understand the central theme and the conflict that it may be involved with this theme. Anyway, it was a good attempt and maybe others would enjoy this style. Thank you for your thoughts!

-- 22 Sep 2017, 20:34 --
kransom wrote:This book would not let me go it was that good
Welcome to OBC! Glad you enjoyed the read! :)
Heidi

esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

This is a good review. It motivates one to grab the book soonest possible. Thanks.
OMEGA BLISS
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by OMEGA BLISS »

it is quite a clear review,I agree with u dat de characters where not plot well,for instance,de courageous,bravery and remarks of de teenagers where too unreal,being in an unfamiliar place,experiencing unusual turn of events-sinisters,supernatural forces,demons and showing lack of emotions were too unreal,I myself will not be afraid of dis kinds of things,but it will frightened me at first,thus I find dis unrealistic to my taste,hence I see no need to read de book,becos I have already finished it before finish reading it.
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Excellent review. Though i don't like horror stories especially those with demonic forces.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”