Official Review: Senior year by Jeremy C. Stanek

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Senior year by Jeremy C. Stanek

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Senior year" by Jeremy C. Stanek.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Senior Year by Jeremy C. Stanek is a YA novella that tackles heavy themes like bullying, sexuality, friendships and the transition to adulthood. Alyssa Jones starts her senior year of high school with the same trepidation she’s felt at the beginning of every past school year. The target of many bullies, Alyssa has never felt comfortable in her own skin because she’s ridiculed for her looks, her ethnicity, and just about any other reason her bullies come up with. Luckily, she’s kept her most personal secret from them; a secret that will surely increase their nastiness towards her if discovered. Thankfully, a new student, Mark, befriends Alyssa at the onset of the school year, and the two form a friendship based on common interests that makes each day bearable. Alyssa feels comfortable confiding in Mark, but when her secret is exposed, both of their lives change forever.

The narrative of Senior Year is fast paced, and the author crams quite a bit of character development into this relatively short read (the novella is a little over one-hundred pages). This is exemplified by Alyssa's fully developed persona; it is easy to picture her home life as well as understand her feelings and commiserate with her frustrations. The use of the third person limited perspective successfully drew focus away from other characters, enabling the reader to quickly form an intimate bond with Alyssa.

That being said, there were some secondary character traits and important plot points that felt overdrawn and too obvious. Unfortunately, this led to a somewhat anticlimactic reveal at the end. However, given the target audience, this book may still pack some unexpected punch with less experienced readers. This book would be most enjoyed by early high school students; the writing style and somewhat obvious content may be too pedestrian for older YA readers.

Although the story was, for the most part, captivating, the writing proved to be a distraction. This book is in dire need of a thorough round of editing. Grammatical errors plague the narrative starting on the very first page when what should be ‘area’ is written as ‘are.’ The editorial issues littered throughout the pages were a significant enough distraction to influence the final rating.

For the most part, the story of Alyssa Jones’ senior year carried me along, and I really enjoyed getting to know the character of Alyssa. Due to the fact that this book is most appropriate for younger YA readers, the somewhat obvious outcomes did not impact the final rating. However, the poor editing did lead to the subtraction of one star, leaving Senior Year with a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Senior year
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry the writing too away from the message and enjoyment of the book. It's too bad when the reveal is anticlimactic as well. I'm glad you were able to find some enjoyment though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

The story looks promising. Too bad it has so many editing issues.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Bullying is such a serious problem. It's always good to have a shoulder to lean on.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Not my favourite genre but your review is encouraging.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Look like it was coming along well, apart from the editing, It's something I can give my 2/3 days to. Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Thanks for the review, the books sounds interesting I should read it!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book with relevant themes. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

Most young adult genre books that I have read are great read, however, grammatical errors distract me also in reading.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”