Official Review: beyond the red mountains by greg johnson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: beyond the red mountains by greg johnson

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "beyond the red mountains" by greg johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Greg Johnson’s young adult novel, Beyond the Red Mountains, the reader is transported on a journey through new lands full of mystery, deceit and peril.

When Kelvin and Elizabeth are brought together by fate, they begin to realise that all they have been taught is based on a lie. Kelvin, growing up in the beautiful city of Triopolis, believed along with the rest of the population, that nothing existed beyond the mountains encircling the city. Elizabeth, in Westville, was taught to never go into the dangerous, barbarian filled forest. When the two meet in Westville, they begin to learn all that has been hidden many years ago from the people of both cities.

Caught up in a murder and presumed guilty, the two flee, aiming for Kelvin’s home of Triopolis and safety. The two embark on a journey of epic proportions as they travel across unknown lands with dangers at every turn. Can they make it to their destination against all odds or will the mistakes they made on the way come back to haunt them?

Written in third person, this is a multi-layered story which encompasses many topics while still appealing to its target audience. Kelvin, struggling for his father’s approval, and Elizabeth, stuck in a loveless relationship, are both issues which young adults can relate to. Not only this, issues such as homosexuality, adoption, friendship and overcoming adversity are all intertwined throughout the book with such class that it doesn’t distract from the overall story.

The characters are all well written and realistic. The story focuses mainly on Kelvin and Elizabeth, although there are many secondary characters who have pivotal parts to play in the story. Kelvin is an eager, hardworking young man, who has struggled to discover his place in the world. He finds a father figure in his friend and mentor, Henry, which helps to show that family doesn’t always mean related by blood. Elizabeth is a mature young woman who, after a relatively sheltered life, tries to cope the best she can with the extreme situations in which she finds herself. She undergoes a lot of self-discovery on their journey, coming to terms with who she is and the powers that lie within her.

This is a novel which I can see young adults enjoying immensely. The author has a way of mixing mystery, magic, love and loss into a seamless tapestry of storytelling which, to some extent, has an almost Lord of the Rings feel to it. As part of a series, the book ends on a cliff-hanger, but the story is resolved enough that the reader is not left feeling unfulfilled.

The story moves along at a quick pace, but at times I found the style of writing a little bit stilted, which did have an impact on the flow. However, this did not alter my overall enjoyment of the book and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is a story of discovery for the characters, not only about themselves, but in the world in which they live. I would recommend this book to a wide audience because even though it is based in a fantasy world, there’s a lot of realism to it. Those readers, both young and old, who enjoy journeys of adventure and overcoming hardship, this book is for you.

beyond the red mountains
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy young adult novels. This one sounds like it is full of adventure and fun. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I believe this book can be useful for all of us who struggle finding ourselves in challenging world as this, with a beautiful approach through fantasy. Thanks for the review! The characters are very likable and sounds like you really enjoyed the book!
morde
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morde.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by morde »

The characters play their role perfectly and with most life issues tackled am in for this book. Good review
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I'll have to mark this to-read. Your description of the novel is fantastic and sounds right up my alley.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great read with endearing and admirable characters. I think I'm going to enjoy this one. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Greg Johnson on such an obviously well written book.
Kris Palwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kris Palwa »

As for now every details of a story tells us that a young can prove themeselves.
Tanny136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanny136.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Tanny136 »

Sounds to be a thrilling adventure which also puts the turmoils and joys in relationships and hardships faced by the characters on the forefront. Thank you for the review!
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

I enjoyed reading the review. It is very well written. Thanks for a great review :)
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”