Official Review: Adventures of Little Yaga and Her Friends

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Adventures of Little Yaga and Her Friends

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adventures of Little Yaga and Her Friends" by L.B. O'Milla.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A mixture of Russian folklore and American fantasy, Adventures of Little Yaga and Her Friends by L.B. O’Milla is an interesting novel filled with adventure and friendships. Written in the third person perspective, the story is told through various characters.

Little Yaga lives with her grandmother, Big Yaga, in a hut on a chicken leg located in the Enchanted Forest. She is often teased by the other inhabitants of the forest who are known as the Foresters. Unlike all of the Foresters, Little Yaga does not have a bony leg. While on her way to school one day, Little Yaga comes across a human girl named Ashley who had gotten lost and ended up in the Enchanted Forest. Little Yaga knew that any human stuck in the Enchanted Forest would be taken by Scraggard the Immortal, who is the ruler of the Forest. She agrees to help out Ashley and manages to bring her safely back home. However, Scraggard learns of what she has done and forces her, along with her friend Kikimra, to kidnap Ashley from her birthday party. Having no choice but to follow his command, they go back to the human world. Little Yaga decides not to kidnap Ashley, but Scraggard still manages to snatch Ashley away. Will Little Yaga and her friends find and rescue Ashley or is Ashley doomed to be stuck in the Enchanted Forest with Scraggard forever?

Although the book is under the young adult genre, I feel like the book is more suited for children and teens. From the way the book was written and the simple dialogue between the characters, I find that teens rather than young adults would connect more to the story. The struggles of fitting in with peers and building friendships are just a couple of themes from the book that I know teens and older kids can relate to. Moreover, there are also illustrations at the end of some chapters which can help with visualizing the story.

Not only were the characters relatable, but they also had distinctive personalities. I liked how even the normally non-living things like houses and clocks were brought to life with personalities of their own. I found the mixture between Russian fables and modern American elements to be a unique, but interesting twist. Although I am not familiar with Russian folklore, I found myself wanting to know more about Russian folklore after reading this book.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The mix between fantasy and folklore added a unique twist to story and made this book a captivating read. I would recommend this book to kids from ages twelve and up, especially to those who like to read adventure stories.

Adventures of Little Yaga and Her Friends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a cute story! Thanks for a lovely review. I love that it's a hut that's on a chicken leg!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Sounds like a great book for children. Thanks for the review.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a cute story! Thanks for a lovely review. I love that it's a hut that's on a chicken leg!
Thanks!

-- 23 Aug 2017, 07:25 --
ritah wrote:Sounds like a great book for children. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I agree with you, it seems more suitable for younger audiences. Thanks for the review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:I agree with you, it seems more suitable for younger audiences. Thanks for the review. :)
Thanks for reading!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

This sounds like a delightful book. Everything about it sounds really charming. I love that everyday objects have their own personalities and that each personality is distinct. Incorporating Russian fable and American elements sounds genius to me. I'm going to have to add this to my to-read list. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Mallory Whitaker wrote:This sounds like a delightful book. Everything about it sounds really charming. I love that everyday objects have their own personalities and that each personality is distinct. Incorporating Russian fable and American elements sounds genius to me. I'm going to have to add this to my to-read list. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Thanks for reading!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great book. But I have to agree that this is more fitting for children instead of young adult. Great job on the review. Congratulations to L.B. O'Milla on such an obviously well written book.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I've been fascinated with all things Russian ever since I read a Russian novel in my high school lit class. Sounds like I may have to check this book out. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I love books that mix Russian folklore and fantasy. The fact that the characters have distinctive personalities is another plus. This sounds like a sweet book for kids. Alas, I am not the target audience. I am glad you enjoyed the book even though it is a kids' book. Thank you for the nice review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I loved the review and I think I might just decide to read the book. Congrats #BOTD
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I ve always loved folklores.. Mix it with fantasy and I truly believe that children would like it for sure.
Thanks for the rview:)
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

Interesting plot line that I'm sure children would enjoy it more, that I agree. I'm not quite well-versed in other countries folklore so I think I'd try reading this book. Thank you for your review.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What a cute and unique story! I don't know many Russian folklore, but the living in house on a chicken leg sounds very interesting. Even from just the cover, the book does look like it would be better suited for children than young adult. I love how building friendships and how the characters are relatable with distinct personalities is so prevalent here. This is so important in a young read. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this adventure!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”