Official Review: DeathCallers by Raven Hudgins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: DeathCallers by Raven Hudgins

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "DeathCallers" by Raven Hudgins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Death Callers by Raven Hudgins is an engrossing novel filled with betrayal, romance, and unexpected twists. The novel starts off on Aislin’s eighteenth birthday. Her eighteenth birthday is special because she receives the ability to get her first death call. Unknown to others, except her family and two of her closest friends, Aislin is a banshee who is destined to be forever alone. However, she is not truly alone as she has her two childhood banshee friends, Kaydynce and Teagan. Not only does she get her first death call on her birthday, but her childhood love comes back into the picture. As the plot thickens, one of her closest friends betrays her, while the love of her life gets taken away. Her adventure as a death caller will put readers at the edge of their seats as they journey with her on her quest to change her fate.

What I liked about this novel was that the characters were well developed, although a bit predictable. In the first few chapters, the story is written in first person with Aislin as the main speaker, but towards the end of the book we get to see the perspectives of the other characters. I liked how the author included this in her novel as it added variation to the novel. The ending was a little heartbreaking, but it left you wanting more.

What I didn't like about this novel was that the plot was a bit predictable. This is a typical young adult romance novel where the girl and guy meet, fall in love, and struggle to be together. The plot had enough suspense to keep me interested, but the plot dragged on in some parts of the novel. There were a few parts that I felt the author rushed to put together. For example, at the beginning of the book, Aislin sees her childhood crush and immediately falls back in love with him. He also falls in love with her, but the instant connection between them didn't seem very realistic.

There were a few sexual implications throughout the book, but none were too graphic. There were no major grammatical errors either.

Overall, I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Although the book had well developed characters, the portrayal of the characters wasn't very realistic. Also, the plot didn't have much suspense in it. I recommend this book to those who like to read supernatural romance books.

DeathCallers
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounded like a great story to me up until the part that you said the plot was predictable. I do like great character development but I don't like a plot that doesn't have some kind of twist that I would have never seen coming. I am interested in the idea of "death callers" though.I

Great Review! :character-ariel:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read many of this type of story. I like this type of story to read in between my deeper more meaningful books. They make for a good, quick read. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Amagine wrote:It sounded like a great story to me up until the part that you said the plot was predictable. I do like great character development but I don't like a plot that doesn't have some kind of twist that I would have never seen coming. I am interested in the idea of "death callers" though.I

Great Review! :character-ariel:
Thank you! Even though the plot was predictable, the book was still a great read.

-- 19 Apr 2017, 11:31 --
kandscreeley wrote:I've read many of this type of story. I like this type of story to read in between my deeper more meaningful books. They make for a good, quick read. Thanks for the review.
Thanks! It was a quick read, but I enjoyed reading it.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Great review :D ! You really summed up the book well and gave an enticing blurb for the book. It does sound like an interesting read, something a bit different to read with the main character being a banshee. The plot issues would however be a bit of a deal breaker for me. I like a book that keeps me interested thoughout and if i can second guess it all the time it loses it's magic.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Sarah G wrote:Great review :D ! You really summed up the book well and gave an enticing blurb for the book. It does sound like an interesting read, something a bit different to read with the main character being a banshee. The plot issues would however be a bit of a deal breaker for me. I like a book that keeps me interested thoughout and if i can second guess it all the time it loses it's magic.

Thank you! I also like books that keep you guessing at the next part. There were some plot twists in this book, but not enough to keep up the suspense.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I'm not interested in this type of book but you wrote a great review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”