Official Review: Missing Danny by Zandy Clark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: Missing Danny by Zandy Clark

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Missing Danny" by Zandy Clark.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Missing Danny by Zandy Clark and Danny Ockham is a chronological account of a boy’s travels and adventures after he becomes separated from his mother and then runs away from his drunk abusive father. Having Native American ancestry, Danny and his mother had long been utilizing wilderness survival tactics to supplement their family’s resources, and this knowledge carries Danny through his days out on his own.

As he travels through the desert and mountains, Danny must be cunning and resourceful to survive the elements and safely make his passage toward his destination without being located by authorities. Along the way, Danny frequently meets with others who assist him in ways that prove essential to his survival, and learns the value of human contact and support. Following instructions given by his mother, Danny travels to the Pima Reservation to seek help. Through that process he becomes involved in their foster care system, being placed with a couple of different families before running off on his own again.

Throughout the events of the story, Danny struggles with the decision of whether to seek help through traditional channels, or to remain free and untethered but also solely responsible for all his own needs. One of the most vivid images in the book describes the concept of families like “islands in the desert” – little havens of safety and support that (ideally) provide sanctuary from the harsher realities of the real world. Family, as depicted in this story, can mean much more than just those who are related to us biologically. In Danny’s case, both members of his biological family to whom the reader is introduced end up as largely negative elements of his life, whereas several of the people he meets along his travels provide him with much more stability and nurture.

This story is full of fascinating outdoor survival information, presented in a clear and imagery-laden style (and it becomes clear toward the end of the story why Danny chooses to describe these events in such a way). As a narrator, Danny is believable and sympathetic, and the language and pacing of this book are appropriate for a middle-school reader, which is approximately Danny’s age at the start of the storyline. Though there are a few spelling and grammar mistakes within the narrative, these are easily explained by Danny’s inconsistent ability to attend school, and are not so numerous as to detract from the plot.

The only real negative is that certain sections left me wanting to know more, as the events within them were described in very brief terms, or left up to the reader to infer. One such section is when Danny is reunited with his mother, and comes to find out the circumstances leading up to and following her disappearance. I would have liked to learn more about that situation, as well as the final events at the climax of the story. Otherwise, the events described within these pages were engaging, and really put the comforts that most of us take for granted into perspective. I rate this book a strong 3 out of 4 stars.

Missing Danny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This doesn't really sound like something I would enjoy. I'm not a huge survivalist fan. I think it would irritate me not to have more details about various aspects of the plot though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This sounds like an amazing book especially because it is told from the point of view of a young boy. I like the fact that he has a strong Native American background. That adds diversity to the story and makes it even more appealing to me.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

It's a clever idea and can't say I've heard of a YA book that combines outdoor survival and a personal journey from an abusive home. This doesn't sound like what I'd be looking for from a YA book personally​ but no doubt it would appeal to some.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Meggie Lou
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggie-lou.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Meggie Lou »

Books about the foster system and young adults/children who deal with abusive situations are hard sells for me. I have friends who have gone through the system and from their input, not many of the books I have read are accurate. That being said, I can definitely get on board with a novel about learning to take care of yourself and searching for your family, whether they be blood or not. This was a good review.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Awesome review. I read a book a few months very similar to this one and I am not sure I want to read something like this right now but definitely in the near future I hope to have a chance to read this since it sounds like the kind of work that makes you think about life.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”