Official Review: The Long Way Home by Stephanie Baudet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: The Long Way Home by Stephanie Baudet

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Long Way Home" by Stephanie Baudet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine you’re thirteen years old and you’re not sure if you’ll ever see your home again. A civil war has broken out in your country. Your mother sends you and your little brother away to safety with hundreds of other children and adults. You are always on the move, as the sight and smell of war stalks you. Hearing gun shots and seeing dead bodies lined up, barely phases you anymore. You’re constantly hungry, angry and sad. You want to protect your little brother, but you realize it is hard enough taking care of yourself.

Does this sound like a nightmare? This story is a reality for Nikolai Maninov in Stephanie Baudet’s The Long Way Home. The Long Way Home is a historical, YA novel that will leave every reader grateful to have a safe place to call home.

A Long Road to Home

The Long Way Home is loosely based off the true story of Riley H. Allen, a leader of the American Red Cross team, who helped bring hundreds of Russian children back home after the war. He is a character in the story, but the protagonist is Nikolai. The author writes a powerful narrative and the language is so descriptive that readers can visualize the suffering that Nikolai and the other children had to endure. From the first scene in the book, the author succeeded in setting a tragic tone that would pull at any reader’s heart strings. In the book, we see Nikolai forced to do many things to survive. He is forced to lie, steal and kill. At times, he displays a rather somber attitude towards his actions, “Stealing. Something we are taught is wrong from infancy. Now we steal or we die. That is the simple choice.

The plot is well paced and not hurried at all. The author takes her time as she allows readers to build a connection to the characters and witness their struggle to make it back home alive. There was also some historical content in the story, particularly about the American Red Cross. During the scenes, readers get to witness the development of the characters.

How the Story Shaped the Characters

We will never know how much this shaped out personalities and outlook on life.” These were the words spoken by Nikolai as he looked back on how much his experiences had changed him. With Nikolai, the author created a believable character who readers can relate too. He started off angry at the world and at his little brother for being so weak. He was also ashamed of his own weakness as he allowed himself to be bullied by the older kids. Over time, with every experience, readers watched him develop from a boy to a young man.

One part of Nikolai’s character that I think readers will find interesting is his love for ballet. At first, he is ashamed of it because ballet isn’t considered “masculine.” He later grows more confidence in himself as he stated, “To hell with it. Tell the world. I don’t care anymore. This is my ambition and I should be proud of it.” All the way to the end, Nikolai demonstrated his resilience and growth.

There are other notable characters such as his little brother, Anton, who started off being afraid, but found inner strength as well. Also, Mr. Riley Allen, who was the one who saved the children with his fierce determination and kindness.

Final Thoughts

If I had to give a negative, it would be that the structure of certain paragraphs was a little off at times. It was not enough to distract me from the story. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The plot was well thought out. The characters were believable and inspiring. If one isn’t inspired by Nikolai’s determination to survive, then perhaps his determination to dance ballet will win them over. This book is appropriate for ages 10-16, but I would recommend it to anyone. This is a book about courage, resilience and kindness. It is a must read for all.

The Long Way Home
View: on Bookshelves

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow - this sounds like an incredible book. Historical fiction is a great way to learn and connect with events from the past. I think I would not be able to read this without some serious emotional distress, particularly thinking of my own children. Thanks for the review! :tiphat:
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I usually like historical fiction, but I'm not sure this book is my cup of tea. I would find it too disturbing to read about children's hardships.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it would be interesting to learn a little more about this time period through a child's eyes. It's always good to get a different perspective on events. This sounds like a really good story. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

I loved the way the review is written. It is quiet intriguing and I guess the book would be interesting too. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading you guys! :romance-smileyheart:

Also, yes, it is a very emotional read. No one likes to think about starving children in the world, sadly it is a horrible reality. I liked the fact that the book promoted the good deeds or Mr. Allen and the ARC. It makes you more appreciative of the people and organizations who are trying to make a positive difference in our world.

-- 19 Apr 2017, 10:05 --
Shreyoshi Sen wrote:I loved the way the review is written. It is quiet intriguing and I guess the book would be interesting too. Thanks for the review.
Thanks! I was trying something different, but the editors didn't like it much. :text-lol:

So I probably won't do it again.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”