Featured Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Featured Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tower" by Lynn Yvonne Moon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Middle school years can bring about some of the toughest experiences for young adults. The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon is a YA book concentrating on bullying. Petunia, preferably Pete, is an 11 year old girl living a seemingly normal life in upstate New York; the only thing differentiating her from her friends is her lack of knowledge about her biological father. Though she has asked her mother numerous times to talk about who he is, the subject has gone untouched her whole life and is now taboo. A car crash one fateful day leaves Pete feeling more alone than ever as she must uproot her whole life and move south to live with total strangers. Will the answers Pete gets about her father put her at ease? Or will they create a whole new set of problems she never envisioned?

Told from the first person perspective, the author wonderfully captures the essence of an adolescent traversing one of the most tumultuous periods of their life. The best part about Pete’s narration is the progression of the character in line with the story. In the beginning, while living a comfortable life, Pete’s voice is so young; inquisitiveness and childish humor clearly ring through her narration. As the story continues, Pete’s voice becomes stunted by various events and her previously naive characteristics are muted.

Pete’s story is one I think many in a similar age group will relate to. This book isn’t just about the emotional effects of bullying, it is also about exploring identity. Though Pete’s perception of her identity is altered by the knowledge of her father’s genetics, this theme will resonate especially well with a YA audience because people experience so many changes and revelations about themselves during their teenage years.

The Tower is certainly not a cookie cutter YA story. It does not contain any simplified dialogue or word usage as is sometimes typical of the genre; the writing in no way devalues the age group’s intelligence. In fact, the author does the complete opposite by engaging the reader with controversial content and providing open answers to the issues that arise instead of spoon feeding a message to the readers. This book will have just as much impact on an adult audience.

I enjoyed this book so much I could not put it down and ended up reading from start to finish in one sitting. As hard as I thought, I could not come up with one thing I disliked. The subject matter is dark yet relevant and the overall story is incredibly thought provoking. I rate The Tower 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to sixth graders and up; some of the content may be too dark for those any younger. This would be a powerful book to use as a talking point for adults and young adults about the emotional and physical effects of bullying.

The Tower
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Young adult is probably my favorite genre. Sounds like this makes a very interesting story. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

MarisaRose wrote:[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tower" by Lynn Yvonne Moon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Middle school years can bring about some of the toughest experiences for young adults. The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon is a YA book concentrating on bullying. Petunia, preferably Pete, is an 11 year old girl living a seemingly normal life in upstate New York; the only thing differentiating her from her friends is her lack of knowledge about her biological father. Though she has asked her mother numerous times to talk about who he is, the subject has gone untouched her whole life and is now taboo. A car crash one fateful day leaves Pete feeling more alone than ever as she must uproot her whole life and move south to live with total strangers. Will the answers Pete gets about her father put her at ease? Or will they create a whole new set of problems she never envisioned?

Told from the first person perspective, the author wonderfully captures the essence of an adolescent traversing one of the most tumultuous periods of their life. The best part about Pete’s narration is the progression of the character in line with the story. In the beginning, while living a comfortable life, Pete’s voice is so young; inquisitiveness and childish humor clearly ring through her narration. As the story continues, Pete’s voice becomes stunted by various events and her previously naive characteristics are muted.

Pete’s story is one I think many in a similar age group will relate to. This book isn’t just about the emotional effects of bullying, it is also about exploring identity. Though Pete’s perception of her identity is altered by the knowledge of her father’s genetics, this theme will resonate especially well with a YA audience because people experience so many changes and revelations about themselves during their teenage years.

The Tower is certainly not a cookie cutter YA story. It does not contain any simplified dialogue or word usage as is sometimes typical of the genre; the writing in no way devalues the age group’s intelligence. In fact, the author does the complete opposite by engaging the reader with controversial content and providing open answers to the issues that arise instead of spoon feeding a message to the readers. This book will have just as much impact on an adult audience.

I enjoyed this book so much I could not put it down and ended up reading from start to finish in one sitting. As hard as I thought, I could not come up with one thing I disliked. The subject matter is dark yet relevant and the overall story is incredibly thought provoking. I rate The Tower 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to sixth graders and up; some of the content may be too dark for those any younger. This would be a powerful book to use as a talking point for adults and young adults about the emotional and physical effects of bullying.

The Tower
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Thank you for the great review. I totally agree that middle school years are full of challenges
on exploring one's identity while filled with unfortunate things like bullying though handling
bullying is also part of growing up.

I can sense the feelings of a girl facing bullying when she does not know who her biological
father is - it would be quite tough. From your review, it looks like the author has expressed
the girl's feelings and emotions well.

It's great to hear that you could not put the book down from start to finish! How about the
writing style, story flow, and the grammar? I would love to hear your thoughts on those.

This book's subject is not my genre usually, but I don't have a preference on what I will
review. As a book reviewer, I should be able to review pretty much anything - is what my
goal is. In that aspect, I think I will take this book up sometime.

Again, thanks for the great review!
:tiphat:
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:Young adult is probably my favorite genre. Sounds like this makes a very interesting story. Thanks for a good review.
Although I don't know that YA is my favorite genre, I always enjoy reading YA books. When done well, YA books can really make one think as YA authors are typically not afraid to discuss controversial and serious issues. The Tower is definitely one of those books!
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

This sounds like a great read! It's always nice to hear about a ya book that's not fantasy or dystopian. (Even though I love those, too.)
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

CarrieMe wrote:This sounds like a great read! It's always nice to hear about a ya book that's not fantasy or dystopian. (Even though I love those, too.)
I agree! It was a nice change of pace and it discusses a very relevant topic for the YA audience.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great YA book with endearing character. Though I feel, somehow, uncomfortable reading about bullying or any kind of abuse, this book seems inspiring. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Lynn Yvonne Moon on such an obviously well written book.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like one great YA book with endearing character. Though I feel, somehow, uncomfortable reading about bullying or any kind of abuse, this book seems inspiring. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Lynn Yvonne Moon on such an obviously well written book.
It is definitely an uncomfortable subject, but that is what makes this book so relevant! Thank you for the kind words :D
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

It sounds like something I would read. Young Adult fiction is what I usually read and this is on an interesting topic. Awesome review!
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

This sounds like a very interesting read. I like the fact that it doesn't seem to be supernatural in anyway, which is common in YA novels today. While I do not have experience with extreme bullying, it seems like this novel could be useful to those who have experienced. I will definitely have to check out this book sometime, and I will add it to my want to read list.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Paull123
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Paull123 »

This review really moved me. I will read the book ASAP!
Maya Balbin
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maya-balbin.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Maya Balbin »

Based on the review, the book seems like a heartwarming story. It's an illustration of how teens having the same situation, would have felt.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Lynn Yvonne Moon's the tower is a great read with great character development and excellent prose.
Gift 42
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Gift 42 »

I feel that the book is relevant as it touchs on an uncomfortable subject, which is somethings we tend to avoid as the youth

-- 04 Jul 2017, 12:50 --

I feel that the book is relevant as it touchs on an uncomfortable subject, which is somethings we tend to avoid as the youth
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier

Post by Mollymae »

You've written a very nice review. This book sounds really interesting on a pertinent topic. I really think we need more YA books with a strong message.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”