Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Young Adult Fiction Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.

Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 24 Mar 2017, 13:08

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tower" by Lynn Yvonne Moon.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Middle school years can bring about some of the toughest experiences for young adults. The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon is a YA book concentrating on bullying. Petunia, preferably Pete, is an 11 year old girl living a seemingly normal life in upstate New York; the only thing differentiating her from her friends is her lack of knowledge about her biological father. Though she has asked her mother numerous times to talk about who he is, the subject has gone untouched her whole life and is now taboo. A car crash one fateful day leaves Pete feeling more alone than ever as she must uproot her whole life and move south to live with total strangers. Will the answers Pete gets about her father put her at ease? Or will they create a whole new set of problems she never envisioned?

Told from the first person perspective, the author wonderfully captures the essence of an adolescent traversing one of the most tumultuous periods of their life. The best part about Pete’s narration is the progression of the character in line with the story. In the beginning, while living a comfortable life, Pete’s voice is so young; inquisitiveness and childish humor clearly ring through her narration. As the story continues, Pete’s voice becomes stunted by various events and her previously naive characteristics are muted.

Pete’s story is one I think many in a similar age group will relate to. This book isn’t just about the emotional effects of bullying, it is also about exploring identity. Though Pete’s perception of her identity is altered by the knowledge of her father’s genetics, this theme will resonate especially well with a YA audience because people experience so many changes and revelations about themselves during their teenage years.

The Tower is certainly not a cookie cutter YA story. It does not contain any simplified dialogue or word usage as is sometimes typical of the genre; the writing in no way devalues the age group’s intelligence. In fact, the author does the complete opposite by engaging the reader with controversial content and providing open answers to the issues that arise instead of spoon feeding a message to the readers. This book will have just as much impact on an adult audience.

I enjoyed this book so much I could not put it down and ended up reading from start to finish in one sitting. As hard as I thought, I could not come up with one thing I disliked. The subject matter is dark yet relevant and the overall story is incredibly thought provoking. I rate The Tower 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to sixth graders and up; some of the content may be too dark for those any younger. This would be a powerful book to use as a talking point for adults and young adults about the emotional and physical effects of bullying.

******
The Tower
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Fresh Passion" by Michael D. Brown
User avatar
MarisaRose
 
Posts: 552
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 15:34
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 160%

Did you know?
 
Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 27 Mar 2017, 09:05

Young adult is probably my favorite genre. Sounds like this makes a very interesting story. Thanks for a good review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "CBD Made Easy!" by Mary Minchin
User avatar
kandscreeley
 
Posts: 929
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 58 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Re: Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#3 by va2016
» 27 Mar 2017, 10:26

MarisaRose wrote:[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tower" by Lynn Yvonne Moon.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Middle school years can bring about some of the toughest experiences for young adults. The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon is a YA book concentrating on bullying. Petunia, preferably Pete, is an 11 year old girl living a seemingly normal life in upstate New York; the only thing differentiating her from her friends is her lack of knowledge about her biological father. Though she has asked her mother numerous times to talk about who he is, the subject has gone untouched her whole life and is now taboo. A car crash one fateful day leaves Pete feeling more alone than ever as she must uproot her whole life and move south to live with total strangers. Will the answers Pete gets about her father put her at ease? Or will they create a whole new set of problems she never envisioned?

Told from the first person perspective, the author wonderfully captures the essence of an adolescent traversing one of the most tumultuous periods of their life. The best part about Pete’s narration is the progression of the character in line with the story. In the beginning, while living a comfortable life, Pete’s voice is so young; inquisitiveness and childish humor clearly ring through her narration. As the story continues, Pete’s voice becomes stunted by various events and her previously naive characteristics are muted.

Pete’s story is one I think many in a similar age group will relate to. This book isn’t just about the emotional effects of bullying, it is also about exploring identity. Though Pete’s perception of her identity is altered by the knowledge of her father’s genetics, this theme will resonate especially well with a YA audience because people experience so many changes and revelations about themselves during their teenage years.

The Tower is certainly not a cookie cutter YA story. It does not contain any simplified dialogue or word usage as is sometimes typical of the genre; the writing in no way devalues the age group’s intelligence. In fact, the author does the complete opposite by engaging the reader with controversial content and providing open answers to the issues that arise instead of spoon feeding a message to the readers. This book will have just as much impact on an adult audience.

I enjoyed this book so much I could not put it down and ended up reading from start to finish in one sitting. As hard as I thought, I could not come up with one thing I disliked. The subject matter is dark yet relevant and the overall story is incredibly thought provoking. I rate The Tower 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to sixth graders and up; some of the content may be too dark for those any younger. This would be a powerful book to use as a talking point for adults and young adults about the emotional and physical effects of bullying.

******
The Tower
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!


Thank you for the great review. I totally agree that middle school years are full of challenges
on exploring one's identity while filled with unfortunate things like bullying though handling
bullying is also part of growing up.

I can sense the feelings of a girl facing bullying when she does not know who her biological
father is - it would be quite tough. From your review, it looks like the author has expressed
the girl's feelings and emotions well.

It's great to hear that you could not put the book down from start to finish! How about the
writing style, story flow, and the grammar? I would love to hear your thoughts on those.

This book's subject is not my genre usually, but I don't have a preference on what I will
review. As a book reviewer, I should be able to review pretty much anything - is what my
goal is. In that aspect, I think I will take this book up sometime.

Again, thanks for the great review!
:tiphat:
User avatar
va2016
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 26 Dec 2016, 02:15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Re: Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#4 by MarisaRose
» 30 Mar 2017, 07:16

kandscreeley wrote:Young adult is probably my favorite genre. Sounds like this makes a very interesting story. Thanks for a good review.


Although I don't know that YA is my favorite genre, I always enjoy reading YA books. When done well, YA books can really make one think as YA authors are typically not afraid to discuss controversial and serious issues. The Tower is definitely one of those books!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Fresh Passion" by Michael D. Brown
User avatar
MarisaRose
 
Posts: 552
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 15:34
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 160%

Re: Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#5 by CarrieMe
» 03 Apr 2017, 01:12

This sounds like a great read! It's always nice to hear about a ya book that's not fantasy or dystopian. (Even though I love those, too.)
User avatar
CarrieMe
 
Posts: 38
Joined: 06 Mar 2017, 14:31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 346 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 3%

Re: Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#6 by MarisaRose
» 03 Apr 2017, 07:36

CarrieMe wrote:This sounds like a great read! It's always nice to hear about a ya book that's not fantasy or dystopian. (Even though I love those, too.)


I agree! It was a nice change of pace and it discusses a very relevant topic for the YA audience.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Fresh Passion" by Michael D. Brown
User avatar
MarisaRose
 
Posts: 552
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 15:34
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 160%

Re: Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#7 by kimmyschemy06
» 06 Apr 2017, 08:09

Sounds like one great YA book with endearing character. Though I feel, somehow, uncomfortable reading about bullying or any kind of abuse, this book seems inspiring. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Lynn Yvonne Moon on such an obviously well written book.
User avatar
kimmyschemy06
 
Posts: 1731
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 20:49
Currently Reading: The Deep Well of Time
Bookshelf Size: 313 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 50%

Re: Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#8 by MarisaRose
» 06 Apr 2017, 08:17

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like one great YA book with endearing character. Though I feel, somehow, uncomfortable reading about bullying or any kind of abuse, this book seems inspiring. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Lynn Yvonne Moon on such an obviously well written book.


It is definitely an uncomfortable subject, but that is what makes this book so relevant! Thank you for the kind words :D
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Fresh Passion" by Michael D. Brown
User avatar
MarisaRose
 
Posts: 552
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 15:34
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 160%

Re: Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#9 by Dh_
» 06 Apr 2017, 19:02

It sounds like something I would read. Young Adult fiction is what I usually read and this is on an interesting topic. Awesome review!
User avatar
Dh_
 
Posts: 173
Joined: 28 Nov 2016, 17:15
Location: Florida, USA
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: Carry On
Currently Reading: Frozen Tides
Bookshelf Size: 107 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Re: Official Review: The Tower by Lynn Yvonne Moon

Post Number:#10 by csimmons032
» 08 Apr 2017, 18:11

This sounds like a very interesting read. I like the fact that it doesn't seem to be supernatural in anyway, which is common in YA novels today. While I do not have experience with extreme bullying, it seems like this novel could be useful to those who have experienced. I will definitely have to check out this book sometime, and I will add it to my want to read list.
csimmons032's Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
User avatar
csimmons032
 
Posts: 446
Joined: 27 Feb 2015, 21:49
Location: California
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Who Said You Were Naked
Bookshelf Size: 440 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Navigation

Return Home » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Young Adult Fiction Books