Official Review: By the Blood by Megan Pointer-Pellerin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Official Review: By the Blood by Megan Pointer-Pellerin

Post by Megwe85 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "By the Blood" by Megan Pointer-Pellerin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In school, we learn the importance of “the hook” when it comes to writing. More formally known as the narrative hook, it is the attention-grabber at the beginning of any piece of writing that makes the reader want to continue reading. Megan Pointer-Pellerin has grasped the importance of this critical literary technique and uses it to her full advantage in her novel, By the Blood. For who cannot help but continue to read after a mother, mortally wounded, urges her toddler to leave her, escape, and survive?

Survival and coming-of-age are the main themes of By the Blood. The toddler, Tenja, grows into a strong young woman after being raised by a couple at a church. She is skilled at hunting and fighting, and is
good with children too. However, life is difficult. Modern society has crumbled due to a corrupt American government and global nuclear warfare. Many families are starving, including the small family that Tenja is part of. One night while she is out scavenging, she is captured by three men with unknown intentions, and everything she thought to be true, begins to change.

As the story progresses, a paranormal element begins to unfold. Tenja discovers that there is a demon playing a role in the corrupt government. She begins to suspect that it may also have a hold on her. Tenja experiences strange dreams and has terrible premonitions as the demon seeks her. The demon also seeks a vessel, which has the power to remove the barrier between the demon world and the human world. When Tenja learns that this would cause an apocalypse, she knows she will do anything to thwart the demon and protect the people she loves.

I enjoyed the author’s writing style, starting with the emotional prologue. The language and descriptions evoked such genuine feelings, and I could easily empathize with the mother of a young child. Tenja, the protagonist, was a well-developed and likeable character. One description of her, while she was trying to get dirt off her clothes, had her jumping and flapping her arms. It painted a humorous portrait of the heroine and provided some comic relief to an otherwise cataclysmic world. The supporting characters were also interesting and I found myself wanting to learn more about each of them. The way the author introduced supporting characters was very natural and didn’t include many unnecessary details.

There are three major criticisms I have of this novel. I think the paranormal aspect that is introduced midway through the book takes away from the strength of the heroine. Instead of allowing her strength to evolve from her training, ingenuity, and the hardships she has faced and overcome, she is given some special powers. I felt that it detracted from the main character’s relatability which had been built up so well. Secondly, I felt completely robbed when I read the last page. While I understood I was reading “Book One,” I did not realize that the story would be leaving off at the climax without any of the characters’ goals met. The story definitely felt unfinished. Lastly, toward the end of the book, typos and spelling errors became more frequent.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I want to read the next book and think this story has the potential for 3 stars with editing. The characters made this book interesting. I especially liked Tenja’s exploration of her world and her relationships with the people in it. However, the author could do a lot to improve the novel, mainly finishing it. This story has too many loose ends, even if there is going to be a sequel. I think this book would appeal to young adult readers who enjoy post-apocalyptic or dystopian stories.

By the Blood
View: on Bookshelves

Like Megwe85's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty interesting book to me. I love dystopian stories, and I especially love a book with a good hook as you say. Thanks for the review. It's too bad about all the errors.

-- 23 Mar 2017, 08:35 --

Sounds like a pretty interesting book to me. I love dystopian stories, and I especially love a book with a good hook as you say. Thanks for the review. It's too bad about all the errors.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html

Post by Megwe85 »

kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a pretty interesting book to me. I love dystopian stories, and I especially love a book with a good hook as you say. Thanks for the review. It's too bad about all the errors.

-- 23 Mar 2017, 08:35 --

Thank you for checking out my review! This is only my second review but you are the first person to comment. I appreciate it.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds very promising and the protagonist seems endearing and admirable. Too bad, though, about the ending. I, myself, am not a fan of cliffhanger endings. Good job on the review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”