Official Review: Demon Chronicles The Chaos Prophecy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Demon Chronicles The Chaos Prophecy

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Demon Chronicles The Chaos Prophecy" by Aerum Delevan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first book of a series, Demon Chronicles: The Chaos Prophecy by Aerum Delevan is an intriguing novel filled with demons, angels, and aliens. Mostly set in an imaginary galaxy, the fate of the galaxy rests on the shoulders of a young demon named Orran. With white and blue skin, Orran sticks out from any human he encounters. When he accidentally burns his mother, Orran runs from his home and encounters a being, named Lord Nosfaren, who is from another planet. Orran’s desire to control his power allows Lord Nosfaren to whisk him away from his home and into the unknown galaxy. As Orran gets to know more about the strange but interesting beings from different planets of the galaxy, he uncovers more about himself and his connection to the past. Orran’s journey in finding his purpose in the galaxy is filled with twists and turns that are sure to keep you entertained.

Aerum Delevan did a wonderful job in creating well developed characters. Although the majority of his characters were aliens, many had human traits that made them easy to relate to. The book is written in third person so you get a lot of perspectives from different characters. The author not only focused on building the relationships between the characters, but he also created a unique world filled with interesting beings. I liked how the author included a lot of descriptions on the many planets that Orran visits, because it helped in visualizing the setting. The author also did a great job in introducing the background stories of the characters.

On the other hand, there wasn't much of a storyline and the plot was slow-moving at some parts. The book mainly focused on Orran’s journey in learning to control his power and his purpose in the galaxy but there wasn't as much action as I would have liked.There were a few sexual implications throughout the book, but none were too graphic.

While the author did a great job on world building and developing the characters, there were a few made up words that confused me. For example, the author used de’tari as an equivalent for daughter and deronn as the equivalent for a day. I had to guess what the words meant based on the context of the text, but it still left me confused. I think that author should have explained in the beginning what the made up words were instead of explaining what it meant at the last minute. There is an appendix in the back of the book, but I was not aware of it until I finished the entire book. There were a few grammatical errors such as “form” should have been written as “from”, but there weren't so many that it disrupted my reading.

Although the book had well developed characters, there wasn't much of a plot. There were also a few grammatical errors but it didn't detract from the book. Overall, I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who like to read science fiction or fantasy novels.

Demon Chronicles The Chaos Prophecy
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not hugely into slow-moving stories, but the worlds and characters sound interesting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This sounds like a really interesting premise- it's too bad about the slow moving plot though! I also hate when author's use new, made up words without really describing the meaning. I don't feel it really adds much to the story. Great job on the review!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

It seems like the author focused more on character development instead of the plot. Made-up words can be very frustrating. Good job on the review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

That's unfortunate that there isn't much of a plot. I do like that the author fleshed out the characters and the idea of another world is intriguing. Perhaps the author can make this into a series and focus more on plot in the next book since the characters are already well developed.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”