Official Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chest of Visions" by Tim Ferguson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would happen if Jesus arrived today instead of 2,000 years ago? Would you risk your reputation and give up what you had to follow Him? These are the questions The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson seeks to answer. Not only does the book tackle these difficult questions, it does so in a unique format - the book is written via a pen pal-like dialogue between a few youths.

Mattpaul is nearly done with school and already his future is set. His father is an assistant to the Ruler of Caperston and has a great, prestigious job for him once he graduates. However, one day he learns a man named Chihaysu is coming to speak nearby about someone named God. Intrigued, he and his friend Huchfee ditch class to go listen. In the meantime, Mattpaul comes across a news report written by Tim on his compol (a device much like our computers) and writes to him, asking him about what the Bible, Christian youth and Jesus are. Tim is shocked when he discovers that Mattpaul's Caperston is in an alternate universe, one in which there never was a Jesus or Bible or even prophets. The two manage to communicate via a website Tim sets up, and Mattpaul tells his story via dated entries.

Chuhaysu's teachings often mirror those of Jesus, and it's interesting to see some of my favorite Biblical stories take on a new slant. One, for example, is about a man whose boat sinks. Forced to use a broken off piece to float, he can't do anything but wait to be saved. Two men pass by in powerboats, each giving excuses as to why they can't help him, before a third comes by in a paddle boat. He explains that he'll have to dump the fish he spent all day catching for his family, but that the fish are nowhere near as valuable as him. This is a great retelling of the Good Samaritan, and it leads to great discussion - what types of setback would you suffer if it meant helping someone? Returning home without dinner? Being late to work?

For the majority of the book Mattpaul writes and Tim replies. However, eventually a boy named Alex starts replying as well. Alex wishes he could be in Caperston and could speak to Chihaysu himself, and eventually has Mattpaul relay a question for him. Alex was part of a youth group and Kevin, another member, was killed while purchasing plates to help feed the homeless. He asks why God would allow such a faithful follower of Jesus die. This brings up one of the biggest questions people have when it comes to religion - if God is so powerful, why does he allow bad things to happen? I REALLY enjoyed how this answer was settled, and it's great that Tim (the author, not the character) is able to fill the book with such great situations, questions and lessons.

Mattpaul's writings often contain sketches. These sketches (by José Carlos Gutiérrez) are absolutely fantastic! They'd fit right in with a fantasy novel and seem to be done entirely with pencil. There's great shading and even the words on each, that tell what's being depicted in the image, have a fancy banner to make them easy to read. They really help illustrate what's going on and show off Mattpaul's adventures.

Finally, after the story is over there are two appendices. The first deals with "the science of the story", how Mattpaul in an alternate universe can communicate with Tim and Alex. The explanation is quite heavy, involving the birth of the universe, elements, atoms and strings (the incredibly tiny bits of energy that make up everything in existence), but written in a way that's pretty easy to follow. The second appendix is for youth leaders and gives numerous methods and lessons for using The Chest of Visions for discussions. The lessons are quite fantastic, making it clear that provoking thought and discussion were the purpose of the book and that the author is experienced in doing so.

While I did find a couple errors (one of which was an odd formatting error), I can't help but give The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson 4 out of 4 stars anyway. It was very enjoyable as a story while also being an excellent tool for provoking thought. Even as I read it alone I often wondered if I would be brave enough to follow Chihaysu. There were also a few surprise twists that made me happy with the direction the book went. I'd absolutely recommend the book to any Christian, but especially to kids or those who lead youth groups.

The Chest of Visions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love to see stories like this which have such unusual premises behind them. This is such an interesting and intriguing story line. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

This seems like a really interesting book to read. I love books that include sketches since they help to visualize the characters or events in the story. Great review by the way!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. The first paragraph had me re-evaluating my life. I'm interested in reading and getting the characters' point of view.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

What an interesting way to tell a story. I like what the author's done with the concept, and agree this would be good for kids in church groups.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

An interesting twist on religion for young readers. This could be a book used in classroom or teaching setting to spark discussion among our youth. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Great review this seems like a good round of What if? Came into play, which is awesome and has created a great story.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

Great review. The book sounds fantastic, as a Christian I wish I had read this book a few years back when I was a bit younger.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

A refreshing style for a Christian book. Thanks for the review.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

Reading Christian books helps me to grow in faith. Thanks for the review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

The answer in my opinion to that question would definitely be a no. Technological advancements and social media will definitely made a joke about the coming of Jesus. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”