Official Review: 'Lieutenant Hotshot - The Story of an In...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: 'Lieutenant Hotshot - The Story of an In...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'Lieutenant Hotshot - The Story of an Invisible Child'" by Julia North.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How does an innocent child turn into a soldier? This is the question that Lieutenant Hotshot strives to answer. We follow the life of Modetse, a young child living in a dump in Africa. He is trying to take care of his young sister, when he is taken by a group of soldiers to their training camp. There he learns the art of war, and the author allows us to follow his journey.

The first thing that I would like to address about this book is the genre. This is officially classified as a young adult novel, but I take issue with that classification for several reasons. The first is that this novel addresses adult themes. The violence in this book is not fleeting but rather mentioned at every turn. Not only that, but this is a violence that is in no way fantasy or fiction. This is the violence of war, and while the book is fiction, there is no doubt that this is violence that actually happens. Also, there is more use of cussing in this book than there is in a typical young adult book. For these reasons, I really believe this to be an improper classification.

There is also an issue with the editing in this book. This book is written in a broken English style. It is well done; you can hear the African accent as the characters are thinking and speaking. However, there are errors within the editing not explained by the broken English. For example, on page 15 towards the end you will find the following sentence. “I had let the catch me.” It is obvious that the “the” should be them. There are other such errors throughout the book.

In spite of these things, I found myself really liking the book. The author starts off in such a way as to immediately capture your attention. Each chapter reveals more about the characters and their struggles. This keeps you wanting to come back for more. Even though I have never been through what Modetse has, I found myself relating to him. I was angry with him, and I wanted to cry with him. Characters like these are what makes a good story.

More important than the enjoyment of good characters, however, is the topic that this book addresses. While this is not an autobiography, there is no doubt in my mind that stories like this exist. This is a subject that is not talked about enough. I believe this book is a great way to open lines of communication about issues such as child violence, brainwashing, sexual abuse, and many more.

Overall, I would rate Lieutenant Hotshot 3 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, because of the issues with the genre and the editing, I cannot give it a full 4 stars. Before allowing teens to read this book, I would caution parents to read it themselves to see if it is suitable for their children. I guarantee that the parents will end up enjoying it just as much if not more than their teens. After all, what more could you ask for in a book than to be enjoyable to read and address important issues at the same time?

'Lieutenant Hotshot - The Story of an Invisible Child'
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. I have to agree with you about the violent scenes in the book not fitting for young adults. Though the character is a young boy, I think the book is meant for older readers. Good job on the review.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Great review! Thank you for the warning about the genre. My son is almost thirteen, and I wouldn't think twice about letting him read a YA novel. Now I realize that I should at least research a book before he reads it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Thank you for your review. I work with YA books and authors on a daily basis and I just want to say that violent themes and language are found in most YA novels. It is more common than people probably realize. Your review was great and I loved that the characters are relatable.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

peprica21 wrote:Thank you for your review. I work with YA books and authors on a daily basis and I just want to say that violent themes and language are found in most YA novels. It is more common than people probably realize. Your review was great and I loved that the characters are relatable.
I read mostly young adult books. I agree there are violent themes in most, but this violence was extremely graphic. It is above and beyond most young adult books I've read.
—Neil Gaiman
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html

Post by peprica21 »

kandscreeley wrote:
peprica21 wrote:Thank you for your review. I work with YA books and authors on a daily basis and I just want to say that violent themes and language are found in most YA novels. It is more common than people probably realize. Your review was great and I loved that the characters are relatable.
I read mostly young adult books. I agree there are violent themes in most, but this violence was extremely graphic. It is above and beyond most young adult books I've read.
That is a fair statement. You read the book I have not yet. But I enjoyed your review and adding this book to my list. Thanks.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

Very helpful and informative review. Sharing that you don't believe the YA categorization is appropriate will help parents and the like to know whether or not to buy this book for their children. Nice work.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

mewsmash wrote:Very helpful and informative review. Sharing that you don't believe the YA categorization is appropriate will help parents and the like to know whether or not to buy this book for their children. Nice work.
It's definitely worth a read for adults, but younger readers need to beware. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. This book sounds amazing but I would have preferred if it stayed within the confines of a young adult book because I don't swear except when reading - I just can't seem to not read it.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

True. It's very hard not to read the swear words. Still, it's a worthy story. Definitely has a good message.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”