Official Review: Preda's Voice by Carolyn Gross

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Preda's Voice by Carolyn Gross

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Preda's Voice" by Carolyn Gross.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Preda Torrance lives in silence. Afraid of the apparent destructive power of her voice, Preda chooses not to speak, instead resigning herself to perpetually hiding from the world and from her abusive father’s anger. It’s just Preda and Fiver, her pet cat, against the world until, after a particularly disastrous morning, a man with a detective’s badge pulls her out of class. Preda is about to have her eyes opened and her questions answered at last. Her name is not Preda Torrance. Her voice is much more than a bringer of misfortune. Her world is not what it appears to be. She may not even be human.

Preda’s Voice by Carolyn Gross is a fantasy novel for young adults. It is an exciting and intriguing story full of unexpected twists and turns. Ms. Gross imagines a whole other world and a complex social order complete with political machinations and maneuverings. It will keep you on your toes and compel you to turn the next page just to find out what will happen next.

In my opinion, the best aspect of this novel is the theme of growth and change. Although the core of her character remains consistent, Preda changes dramatically throughout the story, such that the Preda of the beginning would not have even dreamed that she had the potential to become the Preda of the ending. As she discovers more about herself, her voice, and the world around her, she grows and matures. Better yet, the character is periodically conscious of her own growth as she reflects on her journey. Also noteworthy is that she is not the only character to experience this kind of maturation. Since the novel is clearly aimed at a young adult readership, it is extremely appropriate to showcase character growth and evolution. After all, these young adult readers are almost definitely in a process of growth and change that will end up shaping their own characters for adulthood.

As I read this book and took notes for the review, I noticed that I didn’t have the usual smattering of negative reactions next to my list of positive ones. The novel seems professionally edited and, although there are some very dramatic moments, at no time is it inappropriate for a teenaged audience. The only weakness I can mention is a slightly overused storytelling device: the characters pass out a lot. By the final third of the book, the reader may start to notice a pattern of the narrating character (often but not always Preda) losing consciousness after an especially shocking or action-packed event. It’s a minor quibble, but the repetition brought it into focus.

Despite my caveat above, Carolyn Gross’s book Preda’s Voice has definitely earned 4 out of 4 stars. The only reason I put the book down at all after starting to read was because I had to work - and even then, I was reading on my break. As a fair warning to all readers, though, this book is the first in a series, and the ending will reflect that status. It isn’t a true cliffhanger, but it’s at least halfway there. Suspenseful endings aside, anyone who chooses to read this book will surely not regret the decision.

Preda's Voice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Great review! I will be adding to my list!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

Sounds like an interesting read. Thank you!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! The premise captures my interest. The concept of "Her voice is much more than a bringer of misfortune", sounds unique.

Thank you for the great review! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gnblackmanjr
Currently Reading: Preaching As Local Theology and Folk Art
Bookshelf Size: 379

Post by gnblackmanjr »

Nice review. Good catch on the "passing out" repetition. Thanks!
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Thanks for the review, will give it a try!
fallenechoes
Currently Reading: Doomed Soul
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by fallenechoes »

Good review. Sounds like a good book to read even with that one "tick". I can't wait to start it. Thanks! :)
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Wonderful review! I am adding to my list! :)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I found that you did a great review. I am glad to see that this made the cut for book of the day.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Really great review. The book sounds really interesting. I love a book with lots of twists and turns. I grabbed a copy for myself.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

This sounds like a really great read, thank you for your review!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Post by AbbyC »

Great review! Now I'm really interested in reading this!
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

Thanks for your review. This sounds awesome. I'm already wondering all that she can accomplish with her voice; I'm intrigued.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

Fantastic objective review! This sounds like a YA novel that really stands out.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thank you for the review. It is great to see a young adult novel that allows the character to grow and realize that growth and reflect on it just as a normal teen would grow during that time in their life. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the book without any major flaws.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”