Is Dumbledore really a hero?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
livreads
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreads.html

Re: Is Dumbledore really a hero?

Post by livreads »

For me, Dumbledore is more of a coward than a hero. I think that was due to the fact that I read the series as a teenager, and thought that his behavior was rather selfish and driven by his own needs. He made Harry with the Dursley's despite the abuse that was going on in the house, which is also what he did with Tom Riddle, making him go back to a toxic place that contributed to his down fall. I understand that Harry was protected at the Dursley's, but its also said multiple times that Hogwarts is the safest place, so why couldn't Harry stay there? Another thing is how he decided to constantly lie to Harry over and over again, clouded by his love and by the constant praises by others that he knew best. His actions to me, are not ones of a hero, but a coward.
sanchia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanchia.html

Post by sanchia »

Yes, I think he was a hero as he was on the right side until the very end. He could have had all the powers that Voldemort had but Dumbledore was smart enough not to be Voldemort.
Constant Reader
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constant-reader.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Constant Reader »

I don't believe Dumbledore was ever meant to be a hero. He made no secret about the fact that he was hungry for power as a young man, and he believed that muggles were lesser creatures. He struggled with his demons, and devoted himself to Hogwarts, rather than seeking to become the Minister of Magic (A position he could easily have held). He carried a lot of guilt over what happened to his sister, and I believe he also felt guilty for what happened to James and Lily Potter. Dumbledore did what he thought was right, and tried to atone for the mistakes that he made. He kept secrets from Harry, he asked so much of him without offering much explanation, yet he loved him, and all the students of Hogwarts.

So, is Dumbledore a hero? No. He was never meant to be a hero. And I think that's a good thing.
Kjdominque
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjdominque.html

Post by Kjdominque »

Whilst I adore Dumbledore and I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like a baby when he died. I do have to agree with the majority of you on here. When I was growing up and reading the books, I was very much in awe of Dumbledore. He was like a god; this all seeing all powerful wizard that could overcome anything.

However, now that I am older, he infuriates me. Don't get me wrong he is still totally badass and is probably one of the smartest people in the wizarding world but he just doesn't think. A lot of his plans hinge on the cooperation of other people or things just happening to fall into place. Which when you are trying desperately to keep a young boy from being murdered by a homicidal maniac isn't really ideal.

I feel that he hides a lot of important information from Harry in a bid to protect him. I can see why, he cares about him and he also wants Harry to figure out what he needs to do rather than having to be told. But for christs sake this is Harry Potter, one of Hogwarts' laziest students. Second only to Ron Weasley. Those pair couldn't even be bothered to write down their own dreams for divination class.

Dumbledore was a great wizard and it is clear that he is very very fond of Harry but he is by no means a hero.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I don't really think he was meant to be per say a "hero," more so a mentor to guide Harry so he can live up to his full potential.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
mauralynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mauralynn.html

Post by mauralynn »

Like you, I've also found myself questioning just how much of a "hero" Dumbledore was. His character was flawed, but in a much more subtle way than we were able to see in the other characters. I believe his biggest flaw was his love and compassion for others. It took away from the times in which he needed to be stern and at times a bit brutally honest. However when we look back, there are so many places where things could've gone down so very differently. I think Dumbledore simply did the best that he thought he could do. Just as Snape probably did the same.
hartsocktr
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartsocktr.html

Post by hartsocktr »

I always saw Dumbledore as more of a Guide and occasionally a father figure for Harry. I never considered him the hero. Reading the series over and over again makes me see other characters as more of the heroes. I would put Hagrid, McGonagall, Arthur and Molly Weasley, Lupin, and Snape as the adult heroes in this book. Dumbledore has his moments but, Dumbledore was just an Ideal. He was the inspiration that sparked the trio and other characters to become Heroes themselves.
madimoo28
Currently Reading: Tiger Lily
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by madimoo28 »

I agree with others who have said that Dumbledore was never meant to be the hero. In the sense of whether or not he was heroic, I would say that yes, he was. In the same way that Hermione, Neville, Ron, the Marauders, Snape, and Harry were heroic - in a broken, imperfect way. Dumbledore helped Harry in some ways, but he also really harmed him in other ways. He didn't always make the best decisions, or even good ones, and he let his own desires and weaknesses take precedence over the needs of others sometimes. But I think you could argue negative qualities for every single character in the series. Which is the point.

Anyone can be heroic and make a difference for good, or bad, or some of both. Each character in the series has moments of great heroism and/or great failure or selfishness or other negative qualities. J. K. Rowling's art was that she created a slew of characters who crossed the line between "good guy" and "bad guy." Her characters have fatal flaws, and they do things that disrupt the course of action or make things more difficult or make it harder to set things right. They're human, and I think that's kind of wonderful, even if it means that Dumbledore is not the typical hero or heroic wise mentor we sometimes make him out to be.
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

I think he was a mentor and a guide more than a hero.He was always there for Harry and for anyone who needed him.He showed paths to many.His advices were so powerful and sophisticated, that they could even change one's life.
Abarney_89
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abarney-89.html

Post by Abarney_89 »

I'm not sure I'd necessarily consider him a "hero" but definitely a mentor to Harry. Dumbledore was a man, a human, with faults like the rest of us. I think even though he had the Elder Wand and knew it could defeat any wizard, I think he had hope that Voldemort may see the error of his ways. I think his childhood and young adult life changed him immensely and he did not want to just kill anyone without just cause, however Voldemort definitely was just. I also think as wise as he had become, he lacked the complete knowledge of how to defeat Voldemort and only found out everything he needed to know as Harry had begun to fight him.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I like this post a lot, it's interesting to read everyone's take on Dumbledore. I also, have reread the Harry Potter series multiple times and I agree, when I first read the series ,Dumbledore was the ultimate hero. I think now that I am older and have read the books so many times, Dumbledore is a hero but he is a flawed hero. I think these are the best kind of heros because they are realistic. Can we really say he is not a hero because he made some mistakes or overlooked some things? Either way he was always a beacon of light and reasoning for me in the books.
ChelseaJohn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseajohn.html

Post by ChelseaJohn »

I'm not sure if I would necessarily classify Dumbledore as a hero, but he's certainly not a villain either. Now, it has been a while since I've read the last few books in the series, but if I remember correctly, Dumbledore only defeated Grindewald after there seemed to be no other choice. He was very sad about what he had to do. Perhaps Dumbledore would have the same hesitation with Voldemort. Granted, Grindewald was a very close childhood friend and I personally wouldn't want to do any harm to my childhood friends, regardless of the choices they've made, while Voldemort was not a friend. However, he was a student. It was Dumbledore himself who told Tom Riddle about magic and Hogwarts. He took all the time and effort of researching Tom and his family. He truly got to know him and probably understood him and his circumstances a lot better than most. It would certainly be difficult to completely destroy someone you've mentored and taught. Someone you helped and watched grow up.
Sorry, I know I'm rambling on a bit, but I had another thought. Dumbledore was there when Trelawney gave the "Chosen One" prophecy. He knew of the 'destiny' of a young boy defeating Voldemort. He knew this was the way it was to be done, so instead of putting forth energy to destroy Voldemort - which he did see as a nearly impossible task - he chose to work to protect, teach, and strengthen the person he knew could defeat the Dark Lord once and for all. I think there's a lot to be said for working to give someone else the glory.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Dumbledore was a perfect person/character by any means, but I feel that his choices in this matter could be justified.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Cjgarland89 wrote:I also have to agree with most of everyone here. I think as a young teenager and reading the books it was easy to see Dumbledore as a hero, and the good guy of the book. But honestly I feel that Snape ended up being a bigger hero in the end because Dumbledore did a lot of questionable things that were overlooked and relied greatly on Snape for the protection of Harry. I think it's awesome to re read the books as an adult and see things from a whole different perspective and still be able to relate to the overall theme of the book and the trials of each character.
I agree that Snape is a much more greater hero than Dumbledore ever was. Snape was always perceived as being the bad guy, and although he could have 'gone to the dark side', he did all he could to save the wizarding world from Voldemort.
I always thought Dumbledore's behavior could sometimes be a bit pompous and self-righteous.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
22kcox
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-22kcox.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by 22kcox »

I would have to agree that Dumbledore was more of a guide than a hero. Every character in the book series is human and they all have flaws. That being said, I believe many readers put Dumbledore on a pedestal because he was so great, and powerfully wise. I would have to agree on the fact that he is on the side of the heroes, but maybe not a superhero.
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
chloeisfox
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chloeisfox.html

Post by chloeisfox »

Like many others have stated I don't think he was meant to be a hero. I have not reread the books since first reading them, but I do remember liking Dumbledore even if some of his actions were questionable. I would put Dumbledore in the role of a guide, and sometimes questionable mentor before calling him a hero.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”