What's your favorite YA books that are amazing to you?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarteenReadsBooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vergent</a>
Currently Reading: The Female of the Species
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marteenreadsbooks.html

What's your favorite YA books that are amazing to you?

Post by MarteenReadsBooks »

So, I'm havin trouble choosing a book to buy because my mom is limiting me from buying too many books. ("There is no such thing as too many books mom" ?) So, I was thinkin that you guys might have recommendations of really awesome books that you absolutely love!
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

What genre of YA do you like? I am currently reading Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes. It is a fantasy 6 book series that I am absolutely enthralled with and would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys YA fantasy.

Some other fantasy series that I really enjoyed include The Wrath & the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. That is a two book series. As well as the Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray.

I am currently reading My Heart and other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga. I am not very far into it but it is a decent read so far. Disclaimer though, there is a lot of talk about suicide.

Good luck finding some books!
MarteenReadsBooks

I've read My Heart and Other Black Holes. I even met the author once. I didn't like it as much as other books I've read, but it's an okay book.

Thanks for the recommendations of the fantasy books. I'll go check them out!

Do you know any really good stand alone YA books?
Rach_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rae-antone.html

Post by Rach_A »

I had a lot of YA books but one of my favorites had to be Paper Hearts. It was a quick read because it is crafted into a lot of peoms but it honestly was Hart warming. It was about the Holocaust and it is something that will always stick with me.
Thyashi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thyashi »

I have a new favorite book every month! But I think that as of today I really like the book, memoirs of an imaginary friend, by Matthew dicks. I finished in in only a few days because I was so attached to the story line and the characters. It's a unique book for sure, the main character is an. Imaginary friend who's boy has aspergers disease. I would recommend it to anyone willing to step out and try something new with books.
jrjksn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jrjksn.html

Post by jrjksn »

I really like the House on Night novels by P.C Cast. I'm currently on the 10th one and they're kind of addicting, I get really sad when I have to wait for the library to have the next book available.
adria_charles

Post by adria_charles »

Some good stand alone YA books that I have read and really enjoyed:

The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Looking for Alaska by John Green
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I am sure there are more that I have read and you probably have read a few of these already, but I hope some of these help you out :D
MarteenReadsBooks

I've read the fault in our stars and I started reading speak, but I read faking normal by Courtney c. Steven, and I just felt that that boil might not top that book. I think I was just in a book hangover XD I also have paper towns already. Did you know that The Giver movie is on netflix? I need to read that book now lol

on the other, hand I've never read any of the other books you guys recommended.
Platinumpusheen

Post by Platinumpusheen »

I really liked Libba Brays Gemma Doyle series. None of Libba Brays books has ever disappointed me. Right now I'm reading the series again, just because I fell like it. I'm on the last book at the moment, and am just dreading the end(in which a certain someone dies :cry:). In the back, Libba Bray said that she MIGHT come back to the book. :cry:
adria_charles

Post by adria_charles »

Platinumpusheen wrote:I really liked Libba Brays Gemma Doyle series. None of Libba Brays books has ever disappointed me. Right now I'm reading the series again, just because I fell like it. I'm on the last book at the moment, and am just dreading the end(in which a certain someone dies :cry:). In the back, Libba Bray said that she MIGHT come back to the book. :cry:

I absolutely LOVE this series! One of my favorites growing up. I haven't read the series in a while but whenever I glance at my wall of books my eyes wander to those in particular. I don't know if I have ever read any of her other books. Thinking I should after I re read the series. It's so GOOD!
Sasha For
Currently Reading: The Haunted Bookshop
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-for.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sasha For »

My little sister introduced me to the Divergent books and I have quite enjoyed them. The story was upheld and thrilling through all of the books, I have not yet read Four, but I imagine it is a good read as well.
SkyStealer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skystealer.html

Post by SkyStealer »

Tha Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown
TheDaughterOfHades

Post by TheDaughterOfHades »

Depending on the types of books you love...

The Percy Jackson series and the books that go with it are amazing (there's three series, the first two have five books and the third has one so far). There's a lot, but they're well worth it!
The Harry Potter series is also amazing.
The Mortal Instruments series and all the books that go with it (there's probably about 10 books for Shadowhunters) although there's a lot, they're great!
The Hunger Games.
The Trylle Trilogy and The Kanin Chronicles by Amanda Hocking.
An Unfortunate Fairytale by Chanda Hahn.
The Selection Series.
Half Bad.
Willow by Julia Hoban is one of the best books ever created.
The Divergent books.
I am Number Four (my boyfriend loves it, I haven't read it)
Hush Hush series.
The Maze Runner.
If I Stay.
All of the books by John Green
Animal Farm.
The Walking Dead comics.
I could name hundreds more...
Try second hand stores, yard sales, or the library!
Jenevieve
Currently Reading: Carry On

Post by Jenevieve »

Some great YA books I've read recently are the following:
- All The Rage by Courtney Summers contains rape, as a warning--however, it has a beautiful love story inside despite that. Lyrical, gorgeous writing.
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson is a collection of poems describing her experience growing up as an African-American in the Southern '60s. The poems are BEAUTIFUL and inspired me to start writing my own. This book touched my heart so much I decided to base a project on the author.
- Dime by E. R. Frank is a stomach-twisting YA read, though be warned as it contains rape and child trafficking. The main character has a beautiful heart, and though it's a difficult book to get through I'm glad I read it.
- Pax by Sara Pennypacker broke my heart. It's a compelling story about a boy and the relationship he holds with his pet fox; it explores war, injury, and nature.
- Golden Boys by Sonya Hartnett is written about a cluster of Australian kids dealing with relationships with their family and friends. One family's father is an alcoholic; another's is a pervert. These children are developed so well, and their stories broke my heart--I think everyone can find some of their childhood in Hartnett's tale. It's rare to find a book written in her lyrical language.

Romance-wise:
- The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toten is great--and discusses OCD, anxiety, and hoarding very well. It's not all centered on romance.
- Bone Gap by Laura Ruby is an amazing story, tossing between a kidnapped Polish girl and a farm boy, younger brother of her true love, who's set on bringing her back. The young boy has a love story of his own, and the book explores fantasy like none other.
- Eleanor and Park and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell are also really great romance reads. Check them out!
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

I loved the Delirium trilogy by Lauren Oliver, especially the first two books. I also really loved Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay. It's set in modern times about Romeo and Juliet, except it is paranormal and Romeo is a bad guy.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”