Rereading Harry Potter Series

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.

Favorite of the Series

Sorcerer's Stone
13%
Chamber of Secrets
3%
Prisoner of Azkaban
25%
Goblet of Fire
17%
Order of the Phoenix
14%
Half Blood Prince
14%
Deathly Hallows
14%

Total votes: 303

youbreccia
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 12

Rereading Harry Potter Series

Post by youbreccia »

I broke my ankle and now have a lot of time on my hands. They want me on bed rest for 4 weeks due to all the swelling. So I am rereading all the Harry Potter books. I would like to know your favorite book? I have always loved the 3rd and 6th. But currently I just finished up Sorcerer's Stone and am on the Chamber of Secrets. I have not read these two since I was about 12 or 13. I have forgotten so much about them. For example I remembered how much I loved book Ron more then movie Ron. I could go on and on. Anyone else rereading the series?
kirple93
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirple93.html

Post by kirple93 »

I'm halfway through the Goblet of Fire, again :D My favourite is a toss up between Azkaban and the Half-Blood Prince but I'd probably go for Azkaban just because it's a bit different from the rest of the series.

I prefer book Fred and George to their film versions, I think Ron was played quite well, but they should have put more of his Quidditch career in there :lol:
youbreccia
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by youbreccia »

kirple93 wrote:I'm halfway through the Goblet of Fire, again :D My favourite is a toss up between Azkaban and the Half-Blood Prince but I'd probably go for Azkaban just because it's a bit different from the rest of the series.

I prefer book Fred and George to their film versions, I think Ron was played quite well, but they should have put more of his Quidditch career in there :lol:

Don't get me wrong I love Ron in the movies as well. But I felt that they gave a lot of his better qualities to Hermione in the movies. I agree with you on Fred and George. Honestly its hard to do everything right in the movies, unless they wanted them to be like 6 hours long, which I don't think I would have been upset with. Happy reading :)
jstrem15
Currently Reading: Six Months
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jstrem15.html

Post by jstrem15 »

I am currently re-reading the Harry Potter series. This series is one of my all time favorites. I would have to say my favorite book in the series is easily The Order of the Phoenix.

Spoilers to follow.

I love the Order of the Phoenix because it is the first book that Harry receives answers for many of the things that have been going on since his first year. At the end of every previous book, Harry is given only partial answers or told that he will know when he is old enough. At the end of this book Dumbledore is finally honest with Harry.

This is also the first book that gives the reader a real glimpse at the wizarding world outside of Hogwarts. There are characters, places, and even the fighting scenes take place outside of the school. The reader starts to see what the characters lives could potentially look like after school. Harry finds a profession he wants to pursue, auror.

I would say the only part of this book that I do not particularly enjoy is the unnecessary whining that takes place. It appears that Harry spends majority of the year whining about something, from his scar to his friends.

Sincerely,
Jessica
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I actually just finished re-reading the series myself. I would have to say that my favourite is the Prizoner of Azkaban. Harry is still just a child in it, which I appreciate for a number of reasons. However, for the first time he is really forced to deal with the circumstances of his parent`s deaths. He gets the first realization that the circumstances surrounding his life are not all black and white.
I definitely have to agree that I like the book Fred and George better than the movie versions. In the books, you can see so many little instances of Fred and George helping Harry out. When he first gets on the Quidditch team for instance. They try and reassure him about it. It`s almost like they just kinda accepted him as another brother and began to treat him as such. I feel like a lot of those little moments got cut from the movies, and I was especially disappointed that Harry giving his Triwizard winnings to the twins was cut.
On that note, I actually didn't realize how much they cut for the movies in general until I went to see the final one with a friend who had never read the books. Coming out of the theatre she kept asking me questions about the plot holes that I hadn't even noticed because I already knew the story.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
fitkittymama
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitkittymama.html

Post by fitkittymama »

I'm currently re-reading the series as well and just finished Order of the Phoenix. I don't know that I can pick a favorite book from the series as they are all a cohesive whole in my mind. I try to read the series every couple of years. Harry Potter is actually the first YA series to capture my attention as an adult. :techie-studyinggray:
Marianaleivap
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianaleivap.html

Post by Marianaleivap »

Kia wrote:I actually just finished re-reading the series myself. I would have to say that my favourite is the Prizoner of Azkaban. Harry is still just a child in it, which I appreciate for a number of reasons. However, for the first time he is really forced to deal with the circumstances of his parent`s deaths. He gets the first realization that the circumstances surrounding his life are not all black and white.
I definitely have to agree that I like the book Fred and George better than the movie versions. In the books, you can see so many little instances of Fred and George helping Harry out. When he first gets on the Quidditch team for instance. They try and reassure him about it. It`s almost like they just kinda accepted him as another brother and began to treat him as such. I feel like a lot of those little moments got cut from the movies, and I was especially disappointed that Harry giving his Triwizard winnings to the twins was cut.
On that note, I actually didn't realize how much they cut for the movies in general until I went to see the final one with a friend who had never read the books. Coming out of the theatre she kept asking me questions about the plot holes that I hadn't even noticed because I already knew the story.
My absolute favorite book of the harry Potter series is Prisoner of Azkaban. The fact that we meet my favorite character (Serious Black) make it even better. I love that we discover another part of the Wizard world and that Harry starts to grow up and face more serious problems. I agree that the movie has a lot of holes. In my opinion, the first movie really trust the book and then as the movies go on they start cutting a lot and adding things that are not to true, like the scene in Harry Potter and the deathly hallow when harry and Voldemort fly around hugging each other :snooty:
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Marianaleivap wrote: My absolute favorite book of the harry Potter series is Prisoner of Azkaban. The fact that we meet my favorite character (Serious Black) make it even better. I love that we discover another part of the Wizard world and that Harry starts to grow up and face more serious problems. I agree that the movie has a lot of holes. In my opinion, the first movie really trust the book and then as the movies go on they start cutting a lot and adding things that are not to true, like the scene in Harry Potter and the deathly hallow when harry and Voldemort fly around hugging each other :snooty:
Exactly! Like if you have the screen time to be able to add stuff like that, then you had time for some of the stuff that you cut out. SPOILER Like when Harry didn't fix his own wand before destroying the elder wand.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Marianaleivap
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianaleivap.html

Post by Marianaleivap »

Kia wrote:
Marianaleivap wrote: My absolute favorite book of the harry Potter series is Prisoner of Azkaban. The fact that we meet my favorite character (Serious Black) make it even better. I love that we discover another part of the Wizard world and that Harry starts to grow up and face more serious problems. I agree that the movie has a lot of holes. In my opinion, the first movie really trust the book and then as the movies go on they start cutting a lot and adding things that are not to true, like the scene in Harry Potter and the deathly hallow when harry and Voldemort fly around hugging each other :snooty:
Exactly! Like if you have the screen time to be able to add stuff like that, then you had time for some of the stuff that you cut out. SPOILER Like when Harry didn't fix his own wand before destroying the elder wand.
Totally agree with you!!
LittleZed
Currently Reading: Rock
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlezed.html

Post by LittleZed »

It seems like yesterday that they were only just releasing this series. I love it and is possibly one of my most reread series in my entire collection, but I can't go wrong with Prisoner of Azkaban. It almost seems like this book is tipping point for the rest of the series. Whilst it gives Harry some hope when he meets a new relative in the form of Sirius Black, there is the beginning of an ominous undercurrent which leads the rest of the storyline to the precipice of darkness.
Harry is just beginning to grow up and accept responsibility in this book and we also learn a lot more about various other characters.
Blo0dwashed

Post by Blo0dwashed »

Reread the series, two weeks after reading it for the first time. Lol tumblr fangirls made me realise how much I was missing having only watched the movies so I locked myself in and oh my gosh!! What I loved most was the ability to watch the characters grow and mature. To walk them and endure so much with them and honestly to cry because my letter would never come. Prisoner or Azkaban is awesome and my favourite. Can we please just appreciate Sirius though? Gosh I regretted watching the movies first though, but so many things I hadn't understood started making sense as I read and my mind was blown. Several times.
Brittster
Currently Reading: Inkheart
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittster.html
Latest Review: "Trankarri" by Christopher Dean
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Brittster »

I am not currently rereading it but was just considering being again a few days ago. I was very interested to see that many people agreed with me in their favorite being Prizoner of Azkaban. I remember when I finally talked my husband into reading the series and really chalking up how evil Sirius Black was as he progressed through the story, just to increase the effect. :D
mduchene
Currently Reading: Good to Great
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mduchene.html

Post by mduchene »

I re-read the series every year during the holidays, and while I love many of the books, I have a hard time not saying the 7th books is my favorite, because that book is when you truly see the genius of J.K. Rowling's writing and story development. In the final book, you see how she masterfully wove each of the earlier books into a masterful plot to end the story. Too often you have a great first book, but the sequels drag, wander from the storyline, or even just lose the magic, but even through seven books she was able to keep the end vision in mind. Phenomenal writing and the series will be one of my go-to's for years to come!
Brittster
Currently Reading: Inkheart
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittster.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Brittster »

mduchene wrote:I re-read the series every year during the holidays, and while I love many of the books, I have a hard time not saying the 7th books is my favorite, because that book is when you truly see the genius of J.K. Rowling's writing and story development. In the final book, you see how she masterfully wove each of the earlier books into a masterful plot to end the story. Too often you have a great first book, but the sequels drag, wander from the storyline, or even just lose the magic, but even through seven books she was able to keep the end vision in mind. Phenomenal writing and the series will be one of my go-to's for years to come!
I must say she did do any excellent job of drawing all the pieces in together and creating one cohesive story. I was also impressed, as you mentioned, that the ability to create so many books in a series without them dragging on and even becoming so redundant, speaks to her amazing abilities as a writer.
BookLover25
Currently Reading: Life and Death
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover25.html

Post by BookLover25 »

My favorite books are 3, 4, and 7. I love three because we finally get to know some of Harry's parents friends, even if he doesn't they are till the end. I love Sirius and Remus as characters. Book four has Cedric Diggory, he was one of my favorite characters in that book, but it disappointed me when he died in the end. And I love book seven because everything comes to an end in it. At the beginning my favorite characters are married, Tonks and Lupin, and in the end they die leaving their son an orphan like Harry. Unlike Harry though Teddy was loved growing up. So those are my favorite books and some of the reasons why I love them.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”