Official Review: Original Music Makes by Veronica Purcell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Original Music Makes by Veronica Purcell

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Original Music Makes" by Veronica Purcell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to a young adult series entitled Original Music Makes. The author is Veronica Purcell, a web-fiction writer who has numerous other works under her belt - a series entitled Seriphyn Knight Chronicles is among them. In I'm Kita Duran (Original Music Makes Volume 1), I had the pleasure of meeting Kita Duran, a goal orientated teenager set on starting a music club in a school that doesn't teach its students music and art. In his quest to start the club, he must face many obstacles. Will he quit while he's ahead or will he do the seemingly impossible and bring music to the hearts of his fellow students?

Duran's first day at Hotaka High turns out to be quite eventful. His science teacher Watanabe-sensei tricks him into making a love potion that causes everyone in that class to fall madly in love with each other, whether they're of a different sex or not. Special ingredients are needed to make an elixir that will negate the effects of this mad concoction. Watanabe-sensei can get in serious trouble for what he's done. Duran is a smart young man though. He wants to help save his fellow students, but he also wants to start a music club. One of the things he needs to do before he can start one is to have a teacher sign his application form and become the Music Club's adviser. Will Watanabe-sensei give in to Duran's demands?

The book has typos. I found them on almost every page, but I simply didn't mind them. The book is so fun to read that overlooking these frequent typos is like ignoring the buzz of flies when one's busy devouring one's favorite type of food. The author has done a fair amount of research on Japanese culture and it is apparent throughout every page of this book. Through reading this book, one gets to discover the difference between the family and given names of the Japanese people as well as Japanese words for brother, sister, friend, and many more.

I loved all the characters. They are all unique and as a collective they make this book very interesting to read. I can safely say that all of them are my favorite characters. There's Duran, a good looking guru when it comes to the piano that girls can't help but blush when first talking to him. There's Chiasa, a hot girl who isn't shy when it comes to showing her affection for Duran, even though Duran is secretly falling madly in love with another boy named Saski. There's Fumio, a guy who is always starving and constantly dreaming of devouring ham flavored pancakes. I've described only three characters here, but there are a lot more that I enjoyed reading about.

In total, this book has six chapters. Wait, did I say six measly chapters? Okay, bear with me. Original Music Makes is also a web-fiction series that can be read on the author's blog and one that is structured like a serial. The chapters, which contain many scene breaks, are very long and each can be described as a standalone story, although they each propel the overall plot of Duran's music-club-in-progress to the conclusion of the first volume of the series entitled I'm Kita Duran.

Purcell has executed the homosexual scenes beautifully. I must admit, I was a little hesitant about reading this book because, well, I don't play for that team. The scenes aren't too erotic though - it's just kisses, kisses, and more kisses. I think anyone who loves young adult novels, serial style fiction, books about music, Japanese literature, and novels that contain content of homosexuality will enjoy this book. Readers who enjoy watching the occasional manga cartoon series or reading a manga comic book will like this novel as well. My rating is 4 out of 4 stars.

Original Music Makes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Leon Durham's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

The first line alone made me smile. As always, I enjoy how much your personality shines through in your reviews. You have so many quotable lines.
The book is so fun to read that overlooking these frequent typos is like ignoring the buzz of flies when one's busy devouring one's favorite type of food.
The book sounds really fun, especially the whole love potion business and the ham flavored pancakes. Awesome review!
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Thanks Tanaya. OMM is extremely fun to read. Each chapter reads like an episode of a manga television series. The ham flavored pan cakes... I have no idea what they are but Fumio, one of the characters in the book made it sound sooo delicious.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Ladies and gentleman, I loved reading this review. :lol: You did a wonderful job of letting potential readers know about all the things that made the book special. Ham flavored pancakes sound tasty!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Thanks bookowlie! I had a lot of fun writing this review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

You really did a good job of showcasing the book's positive aspects. Nice job!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@bookowlie Thanks. The only negative thing I can say about the book is that it has a lot of typos. It was published by indie publisher Katarr Kanticles Press, but why the typos?
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Fantastic review! I really got a great sense of what this book is about and all the fun little zany elements that make it special. Wonderful review. :D
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Thanks bluemel4! If you're looking for something with a little bit of this and that, then this book's for you.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

Your appreciation of this book SHINES in this review! Loved reading it!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Cee-Jay Aurinko

Thank you, Jesska6029. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Leon, after reading you review I searched on the Web and found out what the "manga comic book" is. Never stop learning! :lol: :?
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@chytach18 lol. Manga is pretty cool. Always entertaining and funny in ways normal movies and books can never be.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I simply enjoyed reading your review, Leon! I thought it was light and informative. I can really tell how much you enjoyed reading Original Music Makes! I might add this to my to-read list!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Cee-Jay Aurinko

@hsimone Thanks for the wonderful comment Hsimone. I'm glad that you are interested in getting the book. I promise it won't disappoint.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”