Official Review: Silence in Center by Jody Studdard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Official Review: Silence in Center by Jody Studdard

Post by rachel_bruhn »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silence in Center" by Jody Studdard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Silence in Center is one of the Softball Star novels by Jody Studdard. Although it is the fifth book in the series, it does not make any reference to previous books. I think that each book is a stand-alone read, but part of a series because all of the books are about softball players and, I suspect, stories about characters that make a brief appearance in other stories. For example, in Silence in Center the Skyhawks play against a girl named Kiana Cruise. At the end of the story, Studdard provides a sneak peak to another book called Kiana Cruise: Apocalypse.

Silence in Center is about Melody Gold's quest to become a select league softball player. Normally, Melody would be the type of girl that teams fight over, not just because she is a decent batter and infielder, but because of her amazing skills as an outfielder. However, Melody also has a hearing impairment that requires her to wear hearing aids all the time. Due to this misfortune, Melody has been cut from three select teams, so far, after tryouts. Things start to look up for Melody as she gets a real shot at a select team. The rest of the story carries you through Melody's journey and includes some fun side entertainment with a boy named Steven.

This book would be appropriate for girls in middle school, around ages 10-14. Melody's character is fourteen and most of the other characters are fifteen or sixteen. There is no inappropriate content that would make be believe it would not be appropriate for middle school girls, since most young readers enjoy reading books about characters that are a couple years older than them. It teaches girls about overcoming bullies and standing up for your friends if someone is picking on them. Melody has faced a lot of bullying in her time due to her hearing impairment, but she has learned how to overcome that and brush off people's inconsiderate comments. It also helps that Melody finds friends that don't care about her impairment and allow her to feel normal.

On a technical level, Studdard has an interesting writing style. While I only found one grammatical error, there were multiple mechanical errors. The error I found most frustrating was the number of run-on sentences. Not having read any of Studdard's previous books, I am not sure if this is just his writing style or if it was Melody's character. She seemed to ramble a lot, which resulted in multiple ideas being thrown into one overly long sentence. Similarly, multiple ideas were thrown into the same paragraphs. Also, there are phrases that are used repeatedly throughout the book as well, which seems to a be a result of reading things in first person, as if Melody were telling you the story.

Aside from my opinions about the writing style of the book, I also found the story-line a bit frustrating. It has been a while since I read a children's book similar to this one, but I found the lack of conflict in the story to make for quite a boring read. It seems like most things seem to work out perfectly and everything is wonderful. If there is a hiccup that happens, it is quickly resolved (and by quickly I mean within the same page or the next one). Melody is a very optimistic character, so perhaps it is just her young and carefree attitude coming through. However, I found it to be too predictable and anti-climactic.

Ultimately, I would give Silence in Center by Jody Studdard 3 out of 4 stars. On a technical level, I think it falls short of "perfect," but it is full of details and has a good plot. I would like to see more conflict and/or reduced predictability, but it is a sound story with a great message for young readers.

Silence in Center
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Journey beyond the jacket.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Amazing review, Rachel_jacks. Your review speaks of nothing but talent and originality. You had me laughing too, so yeah, I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

(and by quickly I mean
within the same page or the next one). - funny stuff!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice review! It sounds like quite the interesting book.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

It sounds like a nice and gentle book for teenagers. Great review.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@rachel_jacks, great review! Even though this isn't my cup of tea, I can see a few of the middle school students at my school liking this book. Nicely done!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! I hate hearing aids--it feels like having molded marbles with microphones jammed into my bodily orifices. They're irritating, and they make everyone (including my own voice) sound robotic. So I just never wear them.

But I digress. Your review gave me a good sense of this book, including its strenths and weaknesses.
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

@zeldas_lullaby you could just get really good at lip reading like Melody was! I truly enjoyed when her friends learned that she could lip read and made a game out of it.

Thanks, @leon Durham. I hope that others find my writing style enjoyable as well. I try to remain professional, however my personality tends to leak in there at times as well. I wouldn't change that for anything since I am trying to create my "image" as a reviewer. I want people to know that I will always be honest in all of my reviews.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice review indeed! The personality touch adds to the appeal of a review in my view. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wonderfully well written review! I am very interested in the hearing impaired/ deaf community. I will have to put this book on my to-read list.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Ooh, lip reading is hard. :| I actually taught phonics for over three years, and I know what the mouth does when it makes each sound. (I.e., your lips pop open for /b/ and /p/. Your mouth closes for /m/ and the air exits your nose...) But I still can't read lips! :o Alas, if it were only that easy. :?

Anyways... if you want to have an image as a reviewer, you should upload an avatar so people have an image to associate you with! :-)
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Anyways... if you want to have an image as a reviewer, you should upload an avatar so people have an image to associate you with! :-)
I know! Every time I think about it I get sidetracked and forget to find something. Although, maybe I should leave it blank to make people think I am mysterious....or maybe they will just think I am lazy! haha
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Whoo-hoo!! Great avatar!! I love it!!
sphillips44
Favorite Author: Deirdre Martin
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sphillips44.html
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
fav_author_id: 20173

Post by sphillips44 »

Amazing review. I love how your honesty came through with this, depicting the story to be predictable and the way you explained Melody's character. Again awesome job, this is a great review!
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

I thought so too @zeldas_lullaby! After some Google searching using some directed keywords, I found an image that I feel depicts my personality pretty well. :) And come on....who has a guy in real life that is better than guys in books? I'm a hopeless romantic and my guy would never do half of what the guys in books do. Tragic as it is, it's the truth, so I will live through my book friends.
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Amen to that! :obscene-drinkingcheers: Isn't that the truth?? I'll take a fictional man over a real-life one any day.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”