Young adult book recommendations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
FangirlAhead
Currently Reading: Beyond the Rising Tide
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fangirlahead.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Young adult book recommendations

Post by FangirlAhead »

I'd recommend any YA Melina Marchetta book. Most of her contemporaries were either 4 or 5 stars, and her fantasy series is one of my favorite series. Her ability to create flawed, human characters is off the charts, and those plot twists! Froi of the Exiles was probably one of the first books I ever cried for. SImply amazing!
Marie K
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-k.html

Post by Marie K »

I absolutely loved the Six Of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo!!The characters in these books are all so different.Each and every one of them has his own unique personality and his own set of amazing skills as well as an interesting backstory...I mean you instantly fall in love with all of them.Also throughout the book you follow the different point of views of each character which allows them all to develop so nicely!!The interactions between them are just fantastic!!I'm warning you guys,reading those books you will get mad,you'll laugh,you'll cry and you'll basically go through a lot of emotions χD
Ok so...awesome fantasy world,amazing set of characters,a deadly heist,gang wars,lots of action and a little bit of romance,that's like epicness.Basically GO GRAB THOSE BOOKS!! :D
Pacers_ze_penguin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pacers-ze-penguin.html

Post by Pacers_ze_penguin »

"Ash" by Malinda Lo, it's a story similar to the all classic Cinderella but with a twist of fairies and a sweet ending.
jpatrick88
Currently Reading: The Limits of Partnership
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpatrick88.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jpatrick88 »

Animorphs serires by K.A. Applegate

As soon as I heard about a book where teenagers could turn into any animal I knew immediately I would have to read it. I picked up the first book in the series when I was in grade school and read them until I ran out in high school.
ScarletRaven98

Post by ScarletRaven98 »

Confessions of a murder suspect By James Patterson and Maxine Paetro.
It's a murder mystery told through the eyes of a teenage murder suspect, the book is full of twists and turns so that you never know where the books is headed. Through out the book they drop hints about things that have happened in the characters lives which all come together in the sequel books, which are just as amazing.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

The Skinjacker Series by Neil Shusterman.

I recommend this series HIGHLY, to anyone who is into the slightly macabre, and psychological character development.
The first book in the series, Everlost is short, and entertaining because it sets everything up for the following 2 books; Everwild and Everfound- which are a lot more in depth both storywise and length. The second book in the series, Everwild is that follow up sequel that blows its predecessor out of the water, and Everfound, the final book is the perfect ending to a really well done series.

Without giving too much away, and not going into a full blown review; the story follows 2 teenage characters Nick and Allie who are total strangers to one another except in death- they both die in a horrible car crash, and wake up in a limbo-esque world called Everlost. The best way to describe the series is that the writing is wonderful, and the world is hauntingly beautiful. It's hands down one of the best series I've ever read.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Belovedbookkeeper
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belovedbookkeeper.html

Post by Belovedbookkeeper »

I highly recommend anything written by Jennifer Niven and Richelle Mead. They are amazing authors that pull you into the story quickly.
Kayla457
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Kayla457 »

The Tigers Curse, by Colleen Houck. Not many have heard of this series but it's a passionate, adventurous, and clif hanging book, that I fell in love with and have friend to many times to count. If your into romance, mythology, and love imagination, this is a great book!
lm1024
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lm1024.html

Post by lm1024 »

I, too, enjoyed Thirteen Reasons Why. This book hits home to me because I had a friend commit suicide when we were teenagers. This will be a must read for my girls when they become teenagers.

I would recommend Insignia series by S.J. Kincaid. I devoured these books. I have recently started to enjoy sci-fi and this to me was like a Ready Player One meets Maze Runner, both of which were good sci-fi books. I liked the main character and found the stories intriguing and comical. This is by far one of my favorite young adult series.
Youngish-Adult
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngish-adult.html

Post by Youngish-Adult »

My fave YA series are Throne of Glass, A Court of Thorns and Roses, the Six of Crows duology, Harry Potter, Nevernight, and The Witchlands. The second Witchlands book, Windwitch, just came out a week ago and I'm currently reading it (and loving it). Highly recommend!!

ETA: I read my first Neal Shusterman book last year: Scythe. It was fantastic!!

-- 18 Jan 2017, 18:14 --
FangirlAhead wrote:I'd recommend any YA Melina Marchetta book. Most of her contemporaries were either 4 or 5 stars, and her fantasy series is one of my favorite series. Her ability to create flawed, human characters is off the charts, and those plot twists! Froi of the Exiles was probably one of the first books I ever cried for. SImply amazing!
I second this. Finnikin of the Rock is amazing if you like high fantasy. Also recommend one of her standalone contemporary books, Jellicoe Road. Easily one of the best YA books I've ever read.
Miguelio
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miguelio.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by Miguelio »

The Program (series) by Suzanne Young, as long as you do not mind crying. It is an amazing romance story that is set in a very close to home setting.

I have just started reading Frostblood by Elly Blake and it starts off right away with the action. If you like fantasy YA then I'd suggest this, especially if you like The Red Queen series.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

JessiePhill wrote:This is plain and simple, just name a young adult books that you would recommend or not recommend reading. The genre and length don't matter, just tell why.

I will start...

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It is I good, page turning book that will give you a new perspective on everything.
Thirteen Reasons Why is a good book that really affected a lot of people. I'm excited for the Netflix series of it coming out this Friday!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
StefanieAH
Currently Reading: Midnight Kisses: An Erotic Friends-with-Benefits Sports Romance
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by StefanieAH »

Basically any book by John Green or Rainbow Rowell - they are my ultimately favourite authors! They just really know how to adapt to the age of their protagonist so the reader can relate to their thoughts and feelings.
Meggie Lou
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggie-lou.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Meggie Lou »

The list of books that I could recommend would take forever to type up, so I’m just going to talk about the series I am reading right now.

The Illuminae files by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.

There are two books out right now and they are both spectacular if you like sci-fi with fantasy elements. Here are a few keywords to wet your appetite:

Illuminae: Girl dumps boy on the day their world ends. They wind up on a fleet of ships trying to flee those who would destroy them. Add in a homicidal AI, a mutating virus, and a love story and you’ve got a whirlwind of fun!

Gemina: Starts five minutes after the first book ends. The book continues on with the plot of the first novel, but takes place on the space station that the fleet from the first book is fleeing towards. Think gender bent Die Hard mixed in with a little Alien and you’ve got the second novel of this awesome series ?

Did I mention that the books are written as if it were a dossier about the incidents? FREAKING COOL!!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
DopeyQueen101
Currently Reading: King's Cage
Bookshelf Size: 74

Post by DopeyQueen101 »

My personal favourites are:
Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo
Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead
Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas
A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas
Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

I've reread these series so many times, they're just amazing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”