Official Review: Tick by Allison Rose

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Official Review: Tick by Allison Rose

Post by bluemel4 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tick" by Allison Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tick by Allison Rose is her debut young adult novel in the sub-genre dystopian fiction, and is the first in a trilogy. The story unfolds to reveal a truly spectacular look at what the United States future might become if run by corporations instead of government. Rose poses moral and ethical dilemmas within the context of this futuristic society.

The novel introduces a futuristic world through the main character Josephine Bristol. The United States government is a shell of its former self; a direct result of budget cuts and funding shortages. FutureTech Corporation has taken over almost everything the government used to control. For example, police, mental health facilities, prisons, schools, roads and zoning. High school is little more than a trade school that allows no access to college education. The only way to be eligible for college is through the PEAD home school program (Programmed Education, and Development). The rift between social economic statuses is larger than ever; there is no more middle class. People that live in the poor areas need special passes to visit the wealthy zones. FutureTech uses drones with brain scanning technology to find abnormalities and cyber terrorist sympathizers.

The standard of mental health has changed. Brain adjusting is the standard practice, not talk therapy or medication. People that undergo brain adjustment are called botheads and seem to be incapable of anything more than happy complacency. A cyber terrorist group called Alias-X is constantly trying to break into FutureTech’s security system. Their goal is unclear, but they have FutureTech worried enough to send brain scanning Drones out into schools, the streets and wherever Alias-X sympathizers can be found.

Josephine Bristol is a sixteen year old tomboy that goes by the name Jo. She is dealing with the tragic suicide of her father, an emotionally unavailable mother, and the dream crushing reality that she is no longer in the PEAD program. Jo is worried that her brain is abnormal and fears being scanned by a drone. Jo is plagued by violent visions of killing with military precision and resourcefulness. She calls these visions her tick. She does not want undergo a brain adjustment. Jo is a talented artist and feels that if her brain is adjusted, she will lose the essential part of herself that makes her art special.

Rose does a wonderful job bringing attention to numerous themes that elevate the novel’s complexity. Major themes are mental health, discovering sexuality, civil rights violations, corporate run government, stratified economic class system, thought crime, and abuse of technology. Jo discovers the first tingles of sexual attraction with her best friend Lyle, another PEAD teen. Jo is a late bloomer and reading her reactions to new feelings is endearing and interesting.

The characters in the book are all complex and well thought out. Jo is extremely intelligent, insightful, funny, clever, and pragmatic. Her inner monologue and observations help introduce the world she lives in. Every new situation Jo deals with is revealed organically and explained through context. The pacing of the book is a work of art; the tension ebbs and flows at just the right times. Language has evolved, creating new slang and names for everyday technology. The dialog is realistic and gives each character a unique voice.

The world Rose forms is realistic and smart. Rose does an incredible job making a rich world that could be the future if divisive politics and private corporate contracts continue to gain ground. Technology has evolved intuitively and is close to what is currently being experimented on. There are electric cars that drive themselves, facial recognition software as home security, online learning, drones used to police citizens, and cyber terrorism. The novel is a great example of dystopian societies being social commentary of our current systemic issues.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The novel is well written and excellently paced. The story unfolds naturally, with great attention to detail and unexpected twists. The characters are constantly developing and changing. Jo is likeable main character with a lot of heart. I recommend this book to readers that enjoy dystopian novels, science fiction, and strong female characters.

Tick
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like bluemel4's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! I have never read a dystopian novel, but this story does seem interesting. Special passes to go to the wealthy zones, drones with brain scanning technology....who knows, that may be really happen in the future!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

It had an updated 1984 feel. Thought policing by drones instead of neighbors or family members informing on you. Very scary reality but it is one I can see a clear path towards.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds great! I love good dystopian fiction. Thank you for the nice review. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Great review, thank you! I too love dystopian fiction, even though it can seem frighteningly real at times. I look forward to reading this one.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great, well organized review! This book sounds really good. And I agree... eerily prophetic?

The brain adjustment reminds me of a frontal lobotomy... scary. The scanning drones sound real scary too!!
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

gali wrote:Sounds great! I love good dystopian fiction. Thank you for the nice review. :)
Thank you so much gali! I loved this book. It is one of my favorite genres.

-- Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:28 pm --
Ealasaid wrote:Great review, thank you! I too love dystopian fiction, even though it can seem frighteningly real at times. I look forward to reading this one.
Tick was "frighteningly real" and the world was so well flushed out I did not have any doubts for one moment. Nothing came across as far fetched or out of place.

-- Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:31 pm --
zeldas_lullaby wrote:Great, well organized review! This book sounds really good. And I agree... eerily prophetic?

The brain adjustment reminds me of a frontal lobotomy... scary. The scanning drones sound real scary too!!
Thanks Zeldas_lullaby! Brain adjustments sound freaky. They don't go into too much detail about what happens but most people seem off after having it done. It is a way to make the populace more complacent and easy to control. Tick is a scary look into the future.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

<Shudder.> You're welcome! They'd come after my brain, for sure! :law-policered:
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:<Shudder.> You're welcome! They'd come after my brain, for sure! :law-policered:
Mine too... Along with my entire family. :shock:
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

bluemel4 wrote:
zeldas_lullaby wrote:<Shudder.> You're welcome! They'd come after my brain, for sure! :law-policered:
HA HA HA HA... I wonder, though, if in the book, the drones and the people behind them are only pretending to have the ability to scan brains, in order to keep everyone under control. so, like, everyone has to act "normal" but in secret, their brains can't really be scanned...? Very intriguing concepts all around.

(Anyone remember The Adventures of Pete and Pete? In the opening credits, they'd introduce Mom, and then Mom's plate. See, she had a plate in her brain.)
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
bluemel4 wrote:
HA HA HA HA... I wonder, though, if in the book, the drones and the people behind them are only pretending to have the ability to scan brains, in order to keep everyone under control. so, like, everyone has to act "normal" but in secret, their brains can't really be scanned...? Very intriguing concepts all around.

(Anyone remember The Adventures of Pete and Pete? In the opening credits, they'd introduce Mom, and then Mom's plate. See, she had a plate in her brain.)
No. The drones were able to scan thoughts and see abnormalities in brain structure relating to mental illness.

-- Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:33 pm --

OMG Pete and Pete! Great show. :D
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA. Do you remember Mom's plate?? How quirky!!

Oh, OK, so the drones really do scan you. How terrifying. This book seems freaky good.
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:HA HA. Do you remember Mom's plate?? How quirky!!

Oh, OK, so the drones really do scan you. How terrifying. This book seems freaky good.
It was amazingly good.

Didn't they show Mom's plate with peas on it? I watched the show so long ago...

Do you remember You Can't Do That On Television?
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Mom's plate with peas? Hilarious!

YES! Do you remember what they couldn't say, or else they'd get slimed??
bluemel4

Post by bluemel4 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Mom's plate with peas? Hilarious!

YES! Do you remember what they couldn't say, or else they'd get slimed??
No I am sad that I don't. :(

That was another thing that I noticed about Tick... There was no mention that I recall about television programs but they did have news and media coverage airing.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”