Official Review: Double A Blues by Patrick Rockenbach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Official Review: Double A Blues by Patrick Rockenbach

Post by csimmons032 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Double A Blues" by Patrick Rockenbach.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Double A Blues is Patrick Rochenback's first novel. This novel is about a man named Zach Fredericks, who has always dreamed of becoming a major league baseball player. He has been working towards that goal since he was five years old. Zach is on the verge of starting his third year with the Birmingham Barons, which is a minor league affiliate for the Chicago White Sox. Zach has to move up to the next level within the year, or he could possibly be released. His best friend Manny is always telling him to be patient and stay positive, that an opportunity will come along eventually. How far will he go to make sure that he gets the future he wants?

Zach never wanted to be involved with anyone. he just wanted to focus on his job and avoid any emotional connections with anyone. However, when he meets a beautiful college student named Sarah, he is tempted to give into his feelings. Sarah helps him realize what he has been missing his life, and his true potential as a baseball player. When mistakes from his past catch up with him, his career and his new relationship is put to the test. Zach can't help but wonder how the people he loves will react to his actions. Will they ever be able to forgive him?

One thing that I liked about this book is that it is very family friendly. There is no foul language or any scenes or actions that would be considered disturbing. If you are really into sports, then I think this is the perfect book for you to read. This book was extremely informatvie about what it is like to live in the life of a professional baseball player. The author really did his research, which is why I also think it would be good for people who are interested in becoming a baseball player to read this book. What I also liked about this book is that it teaches you how life isn't always easy. There will be struggles and it is up to us to deal with them in the right way. If we don't, then there will always be consequences.

I am not a huge sports fan, which is why I will probably not read this book again. I wish there would have been more to Zach and Sarah's relationship. I think that would have made me a little more interested in the book. What I didn't care for is that Sarah claims to care about Zach, and then when things go wrong, she turns her back on him. People are always going to make mistakes, but I do think that people deserve second chances. I am glad that his best friend stood by him. Other than my personal reasons, I really didn't find too much wrong with the book.

I give Double A Blues 3 out of 4. I didn't give this book a higher score because I think there still could have been more to make it interesting to all audiences. However, I didn't think it deserved a lower score, because most of the reasons I mentioned above for not liking it were based off of personal preferences. I didn't think it was a terrible book, but it is just not my type. For anyone looking for a good sports related book, then this would be a good book for you to read. I would also recommend it to teenagers because it gives some very important life lessons.

Double A Blues
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like csimmons032's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Good review. I like how you were able to separate personal preference from your overall rating. I'm sure this book is great for sports fans.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, detailed review. It's difficult to review a book when the subject matter is not your personal preference.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Thank you Rachaelamb1 and bookowlie for responding to my review. I am glad that you enjoyed it. Both of you are right, it is hard to enjoy a book when you don't particularly enjoy the subject. Oh well! Like you said, it will be much better suited for sports fan audiences.
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Thanks for a nice review!
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
csimmons032

Post by csimmons032 »

Thank you Stevefromtheblock for responding to my review. I am glad that you enjoyed it :)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”