Official Review: How to Draw Anatomy for Comics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
debo9967
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html
Latest Review: "Self Examination" by VK Grover

Official Review: How to Draw Anatomy for Comics

Post by debo9967 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Draw Anatomy for Comics" by Stan Bendis Kutcher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to Draw Anatomy for Comics by Stan Bendis Kutcher is an introductory guide in comic anatomy for young, budding comic artists. The book consists of approximately 132, fully illustrated, color pages tutoring young artists on the skills required for comic art.

The book is divided into seven chapters focusing on the materials to be used, the basic shapes involved in sketching comic characters, the different perspectives involved in the creation of comic characters, the basic human anatomy for providing a skeleton to comic characters, the Golden Ratio for fleshing out comic characters, detailing the characters and finally, putting all the lessons together to come up with basic comic characters. Each chapter is accompanied by a fictional character like the Lava Dude, the Rainbow Child, etc who seem to be guiding the reader throughout the book. All the concepts explained in the book are accompanied with illustrations to help the reader understand what the author is trying to describe.

The book leaves nothing to chance, as it explains everything required for comic art, even the kind of pencils and erasers used along with images, to give the reader a complete idea. The book is designed to provide a step-by-step, thorough process of creating a comic character. For example, in the chapter on basic shapes the author describes the basic shapes used to make a comic character, then how these shapes are put together to create a comic character and then goes on refining the character for the next few steps to help the reader the understand how to proceed in creating the final product.

I really liked the chapters on Perspectives and Golden Ratio, since these chapters provide some in-depth information on what actually goes into making a comic character. Sketching a comic character is not as simple as drawing and coloring people. It involves multiple perspectives which are well explained by the author, through the use of extensive illustrations. Also, the principle of Golden Ratio is really important and the author quite sensibly explains human anatomy before proceeding with this principle. This principle is explained in the simplest manner possible and it becomes really easy to grasp this concept.

The tips provided by the author are also quite helpful like taking note of the shadows on the floor, so as to take them into account while drawing basic shapes. The best part of the book is the encouragement the author provides to young artists to explore and experiment all the options available for creating comic art, even teabags and ketchup! I would advise the readers to make it a point to read the book on a color screen to utilize this guide fully. I rate this book 4 out of 4 for being an easy, step-by-step progression guide to comic art.

How to Draw Anatomy for Comics
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like debo9967's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Sounds cool! I used to try to draw but I'm not very good. Still, I like to read about drawing and pretend I'm going to devote my time to it. This is a good review. Thanks for sharing!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

This seems like a very interesting and instructive guide. Nice Review.
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! I think this drawing guide would be useful for artists interested in this genre. Comics are so popular these days, so artists are becoming more interested in this category.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

Great review! I've been getting into drawing again over the last few months so I might have to look into this book :D
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas
debo9967

Post by debo9967 »

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”