A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah Maas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pdcyouthlibrary
Bookshelf Size: 0

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah Maas

Post by pdcyouthlibrary »

Already a huge fan of Sarah Maas, and get an ARC of this book, can't stop raving about how much I love this book! Feyre, Tamlin, Rys, Lucien, plus so many more amazing characters are outstanding! This is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast but not just a retelling, it has a whole new spin on the story and everything. The way magic and mystery are threaded throughout this book kept me turning pages long after I should've been asleep. Huge fan and can't wait for more of this series! Would highly recommend, love this book!
Wars of Words
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wars-of-words.html

Post by Wars of Words »

This one was on my "to read" list as soon as I saw it. Loved all of her other books.
sammyjay
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammyjay.html

Post by sammyjay »

Not only am I a huge fan of retellings (Robin McKinley anyone?), but I am in love with Sarah J. Maas' work. I started with Throne of Glass, immediately read the prequel short stories, have pre-ordered A Court of Thorns and Roses, and regularly read her online story with Susan Dennard (The Starkiller's Cycle).

I cannot wait to get my hands on it, and I know my friends will be not-so-patiently waiting to swipe it form me when I am done.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I've only recently heard of this author and have heard lots of good things. Can't wait to give some of her books a try.
max_melissa

Post by max_melissa »

Although this was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, I often found myself forgetting that because I was so invested in the story and it was such a unique retelling with the addition of faeries and masquerade masks. Feyre was such a strong character and Tamlin amused me along with Lucien. These three characters were well-rounded. They made me laugh and smile, which is what successful character development should do. I'm super excited for the next book!
Royal Bibliophile
Currently Reading: Falling Kingdoms
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-royal-bibliophile.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Royal Bibliophile »

My Review:

CAUTION! POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

I was rather disappointed when I read that Sarah J. Maas was creating a reimaging of the classic Beauty and the Beast. Reimaging’s can really either go one way or another, they can be lackluster and utterly common, or completely brilliant and one of a kind, those that fall in the void (middle) aren’t even worth mentioning. Since I have adored all of Sarah J. Maas previous works I decided to give this one a chance. For starters the cover is GORGEOUS! Even if Maas name weren’t boldly printed at the top I would have picked up this novel anyways out of curiosity because the cover is so beautiful. Luckily and to my surprise this reimaging was BRILLIANT!

“Because your human joy fascinates me—the way you experience things, in your life span, so wildly and deeply and all at once, is … entrancing. I’m drawn to it, even when I know I shouldn’t be, even when I try not to be.”

― Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Thorns and Roses

Sarah creates a whole new world, where the Mortal Land, Feyre- the protagonists world, exists alongside the Faerie Realm Prythia, which is made up of the Spring, Summer, Winter, Autumn, Dawn, Day and Night Courts of the Fae. The world is so vividly painted that you can almost smell the roses in the Spring Court garden; touch the pool made of starlight, see the magic swirling around them and feel the intense attraction between Feyre and Tamlin. We quickly establish that Tamlin is the “Beast”, rapidly acknowledging he is not what Feyre accepts faeries to be. Tamlin is able to shape-shift between man and beast willingly, along with the rest of his Spring Court, He has all been cursed, and all wear jeweled masquerade style masks while in his human form.

“We moved together, unending and wild and burning, and when I went over the edge the next time, he roared and went with me.”

― Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Thorns and Roses

A stand out point in this novel that other YA lack was the sex, yes- S.E.X. Not implied but actual intense, passionate sex; it made the book feel more relatable and realistic, not to mention steamy, and certainly blush-worthy without being raunchy classless.

“By large, my ministrations are soft-handed and sweet,

But scorned, I become a difficult beast to defeat.

“ THE ANSWER TO THE RIDDLE…”

I GOT OUT, CHOKING ON MY OWN BLOOD

“IS… LOVE”

For though each of my strokes lands a powerful blow,

When I kill, I do it slow…”
Shelby Fryar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-fryar.html

Post by Shelby Fryar »

These books are amazingly enthralling, seductive, and magical. The plot was so well thought out and wonderfully executed. The characters in this book are dynamic and sensational. When nineteen-year-old Feyre returns from hunting everything changes but things change for good. She does what is right for her family even though it is one of the hardest things she will ever do before her life changes forever. These books are wonderful and I would highly recommend them to everyone.[amazon=][/amazon]
Taahla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taahla.html

Post by Taahla »

I loved the spin on beauty and the beast
and i loved Freya, but I just couldnt love Tamlin I understand that he was supposed to protray a beast type character but I really felt that he did what made him happy and didn't think to much about other people (lots of situations where if you think about it does seem like it happened but was just too caught up in the book to realize it).
that being said I still greatly enjoyed the book, the ending was amazing and such a plot twist that I couldn't put it down.
kristylc
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristylc.html

Post by kristylc »

I love Sarah J. Maas' writing. After reading (and loving) the Throne of Glass Series, I read ACOTAR immediately after the release. I really enjoyed the ACOTAR, and got through it in one sitting because the plot was so gripping.

There's plenty of romance in the book, as anyone who's read Maas' books would expect. I quickly got attached to the characters, and the world building was superb. It was the end of the book that fell a tad short for me.

Having said that, the sequel, A Court of Mist and Fury, came out last month and completely blew me away! It was an excellent follow up, and if you didn't find yourself completely enthralled by ACOTAR, I encourage you to continue to ACOMAF!
nnkm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=86755">A Court of Misty and Fury</a>
Currently Reading: Scarlet
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnkm13.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by nnkm13 »

A COURT OF MIST AND FURY

By far the best book I have ever read...EVER!

I have yet to ever call a book the best ever, until now. Words cannot describe the book better than the ones on 626 pages of the book.

I was very skeptical about this series since it was in Sci-fi/Fantasy genre which I always stay away from, but because this book had such amazing reviews and kept popping up as a recommended suggestion on my Goodreads account I decided to give it a try. I was actually so impressed I decided to check the next book in the series as well as expand my genre selection to include sci-fi/fantasy.

I will admit I already had doubts before I even started to read this book because too many time series authors tend to let me down. Either the waste my time with a second book that really did nothing to contribute and build onto the first book or they totally ruin it and change everything good about the book. So I didn't get my hopes up too much.

I don't want to give any spoilers away so I won't really but I will say as the plot thickened I felt sadly torn and betrayed. I was considering at that point throwing the book and writing the author off but thank goodness I hung in there. She did such an amazing job!

I literally couldn't have written the book better. What I mean is that usually there are part where you find yourself wondering why the author did that and wrote it that way and wishing this part went this way instead of that. That wasn't the case at all with this book. She wrote it with just enough conflict but brought it around with explanation all the while keeping you, the reader, connected. I felt for each of the characters. I fell in love as they did. I got angry as they did and thankfully didn't have to shed any tears although a few were shed by the characters. This book has just the right amount of love and passion as well as external conflict so is so vividly described.

I compare this book to Hunger Games, Divergent, and Twilight. It's like a mix of those books but better if that makes any sense. I recently discovered that there will be "A Court of Thorns and Roses" movie which I'm ecstatic about and can't wait to see and hope the movie(s) will include this book. This book was so much better than the first that I'm more intrigued about see this turned into a movie over the first.

Nevertheless I thoroughly enjoyed this book and if you like the books I compared it to then you will definitely love this book and probably like it better.
nnkm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=86755">A Court of Misty and Fury</a>
Currently Reading: Scarlet
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnkm13.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by nnkm13 »

Take my advice...read this book and the second. I can't imagine you being disappointed especially if you like the other books I compare it to. MUST READ!!

I was very skeptical about this book since it had a Sci-fi/Fantasy sticker on the spine which is books I always stay away from for reason unimportant to this review. But because this book had such amazing reviews and kept popping up as a recommended suggestion on my Goodreads account I decided to give it a try. I was actually so impressed I decide not only to check out the next book in the series but invite sci-fi into my list of reading genres. The sad part was when I found out that the second book in the series "A Court of Mist and Fury" hadn't been released yet, but as luck would have it I only had to wait a week.

This book had me thinking Beauty and the Beast repeat at first but without giving too much away to this book and the next...it's not and its 10x better.

As read this book I found myself laughing, smiling, and even scowling at and/or with the characters of the book. I also found myself spending every waking hour reading that book and neglecting my household chores. Haha! It is seriously an amazing book. The story is so well written and not too wordy but descriptive just enough. I don't like wordy books that spend an entire chapter simply describing the view.

I compare this book to a Hunger Games, Divergent, Twilight mix but better. I recently discovered that there will be "A Court of Thorns and Roses" movie which I'm ecstatic about and can't wait to see.

Lastly, I know my review is suppose to just be about this book but I wanted to just say a few words about the sequel, A Court of Mist and Fury, of this series.

If you interested in this series and/or finished the first but debating whether it's worth it....let me tell you...IT IS!! The second book is by far the best book I have EVER read and I am hooked. It was 100x better than the first and I'm so disappointed I will have to wait an entire year before I get to read the third. Not enough words can describe how amazing the second book is. I want to say more but I don't want to give anything away, so I will leave it at that.
sterlingsilv16
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sterlingsilv16.html

Post by sterlingsilv16 »

I recently read the second book "A Court of Mist and Fury" and I LOVED it. Like you, I was more or less skeptical about the second book because while I like the first book I was not completely wowed by it. Regardless, I read the second book and I could not believe that I had thought the first was only so-so. The second book is definitely more developed and inclusive than the first in the series so if you have read the first and want to quit the series I hope you won't! The second book completely changes the tone and style of the series and twists the storyline to a different direction. I am 100% satisfied with the shift. The characters are also more developed in the second than the first. Should you read the second, have the first book nearby because I guarantee that the first thing you will want to do is reread "A Court of Thorns and Roses" with a new view that Maas has so carefully crafted for you.
stephhw

Post by stephhw »

Wow. I have to say that A Court of Mist and Fury really surprised me. I was very skeptical going into it because it had taken me quite a while to get into A Court of Thorns and Roses that I almost didn't give this book a chance! I am so glad I did because Sarah J. Maas is AMAZING. The characterisation, the plot, the world building, everything was so exquisitely detailed and magical that I felt like I was transported to another world.
The chemistry and between Feyre and Rhysand was a perfect slow burn, no insta love here! I have to say even though I had been rooting for Tamlin and Feyre in ACOTAR, I'd always found Rhysand to be an intriguing character and I found myself accepting the transition in love interests quite enthusiastically. I loved that Rhysand understood Feyre, unlike Tamlin, he recognised that Feyre was not some helpless damsel in distress in need of rescuing or protection, but that she was capable of looking after herself and protecting others.
What I loved most though, was the characterisation. All of the characters are flawed, but it's those flaws that make them so appealing and relatable.
Overall, ACOMAF was an engaging and masterful read and I absolutely cannot wait for the next book!
Squishybug4

Post by Squishybug4 »

I LOVED this book. I started reading speuring exams week which was (looking back) a HORRIBLE decision. Sarah j. Maas's writing is electric and I love most of her characters which is a rare thing for me. And it seems I'm on the unpopular opinion train of Tamlin and Feyre but they are my ship and I will go down with them!
BrightSideKC
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brightsidekc.html

Post by BrightSideKC »

I was already a fan of Sarah J. Maas' books after reading her other series, and that series floored me, making me feel things that I had never felt before. Not only that, but reading twisted versions of classic fairy tales is something that has always interested me, and when I heard that ACOTAR was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, I couldn't have been more happy to look into it and find out what all the fuss was about.

The book itself was not hard to get through; actually, I devoured the whole thing in one sitting, as I'm sure many other readers did as well. It is not incredibly hard to get sucked into the story, and see a bit of yourself in every character you encounter. Feyre's unending loyalty towards her family is something I admire and want nothing more than to project in my own life, as well as her love for Tamlin that lead to the ultimate sacrifice. Feyre's fierce determination when trying to learn to read and the sheer joy she got from painting was amazing to watch. She really transformed into a different person, someone lighter, without all of the problems that weighed her down before.

I also found it refreshing that Feyre wasn't like the original Belle from the Disney movie. It was nice to see that Feyre had her own struggles, especially when it came to the topic of reading. However, anyone could see the similarities to Belle: they were both incredibly headstrong and wanted nothing more than to go home until she found a home away from home, a man she truly loved, and a purpose for staying where she was needed the most.

In conclusion, ACOTAR is the first book that I recommended to my friends to read after I had finally put the book down. I can't wait to finally read A Court of Mist and Fury. :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”