Review: The Selection Series, by Kiera Cass

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lenawilder
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenawilder.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Review: The Selection Series, by Kiera Cass

Post by lenawilder »

I loved this series! I read through all three books in a matter of days, I just couldn't put them down! However, sometimes the author should stop at the last book and not make any "additions". The Heir was awful and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. However, the original three were amazing and I plan on re-reading them again as soon as I get through my current book! :)
taylorwillis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorwillis.html

Post by taylorwillis »

I love this series! I read The Selection in one sitting this month!! I ordered The Elite and The One but I am waiting for The Heir to be released in the spring that way I can binge read the entire series at once. I love America's attitude that she has toward everything and how she won't let anyone walk all over her. I love how fast paced The Selection was and how it was written. I can't wait to read the next three novels in the series.
kaylamac
Currently Reading: Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylamac.html

Post by kaylamac »

Has anyone read "The Heir"? It's a continuation of The Selection Series through the couple's daughter's eyes. I loved it! My only problem with any of Cass' books is that I'm not good at remembering to buy the next installment in any series - I never got to read "The One." Regardless, I still really enjoy Cass' books!
nabila nawar93
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by nabila nawar93 »

May Contain spoilers!

I read all 3 books this year.I couldn't sleep until I finished the last book. It actually made me cry at times.Maxon takes my breathe away.I loved Maxon.I hated him.This whole series has been such a emotional ride for me.I read the second book in tears.tears of pain,tears of joy,tears of confusion,frustration loss,Maxom's behaviour. it broke my heart,all after he said it was her

the last book.broke my heart at times n at others made me hope. it hurt 2 share Maxon wid the other girls.uncertainty of Maxon's choice plagued me.but he was always so kind.n his letter was so beautiful.but Maxom's letter made me come undone.
Trueread

Post by Trueread »

I passed this book in the library many time, then I decide to pick it up. The first book had me so hooked I finished it in a day. It was interesting and although a little cliche it was very unique.
steampunk_girl
Currently Reading: Turned
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steampunk-girl.html
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by steampunk_girl »

This series was amazing and had me hooked from the start. I mean the covers themselves drew me in because of the originality and use of colours. I know Kiera didn't have have to add half the problems she did but because she did there was always trouble lurking behind every corner. This series had me from laughter to tears in a matter if minutes and always needing more. I feel like originality is one of the main causes because even though people say it's like the hunger games and the bachelor put together I don't see it that way. I see maybe some inspiration from those but I don't think Suzanne Collins or the bachelor could have come up with this. Anyways the whole series is amazing and deserves a tv show. :D

-- 31 Dec 2015, 13:09 --

This series was amazing and had me hooked from the start. I mean the covers themselves drew me in because of the originality and use of colours. I know Kiera didn't have have to add half the problems she did but because she did there was always trouble lurking behind every corner. This series had me from laughter to tears in a matter if minutes and always needing more. I feel like originality is one of the main causes because even though people say it's like the hunger games and the bachelor put together I don't see it that way. I see maybe some inspiration from those but I don't think Suzanne Collins or the bachelor could have come up with this. Anyways the whole series is amazing and deserves a tv show. :D
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
BookerK
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookerk.html

Post by BookerK »

I started this series and then stopped when it had something I didn't like, but recently I've heard about some of the other books in the series and I am thinking about starting back again. Do the books get better over time or do the gradually get worse?
falloutlunartic
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falloutlunartic.html
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by falloutlunartic »

This series (that was supposed to only have been a trilogy) is a very good YA romance series. I like clean or mild romance in books :oops: and this one was truly great. The world-building and setting was not as good as other dystopian series I have read, but I did like the fact that it was set in the future, but still had a monarchy government like an old-timey book. The characters were realistic and you felt what they felt. America Singer frustrated me at times, but she and Maxon are PERFECT. The Heir was good, but didn't feel like it lasted as long as it should have. I do not like Eadlyn as much as I liked America, but I hope Eadlyn does the right thing in The Crown! (Expected on May 3, 2016) :P :D
RATING: 4 stars/4 stars
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." -Lemony Snicket
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
crazyrussianmaria
Favorite Author: Margaret Mitchell
Currently Reading: Unearthly
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyrussianmaria.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2998

Post by crazyrussianmaria »

Here's my review: :P

Not going to lie, I kind of rushed into this one. I barely read the synopsis before jumping right into it, mostly because of the pretty cover. Yes, I judged a book by its cover and was quite disappointed. Maybe it’s because I’m not a young adult anymore, I don’t know, but this book seemed very childish to me. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy the Young Adult genre immensely, because I do, but this one fell extremely short for me. It seemed many people on my friend’s list were reading it and have liked it and I decided to give it a chance for this exact reason.

First of, am I the only one who was extremely annoyed by all the grammar and spelling mistakes I found in this rather short book? I couldn’t even believe my eyes, I thought the proofreaders would have done a better job before putting this book out to be published. This issue is rather unforgivable for me because there’s nothing that ruins a book more for me than spelling mistakes and improper grammar.

Further on, the writing, in my opinion, was overly simplistic. Like so simplistic that I thought the vocabulary was extremely limited and this book should have been geared toward teens and preteens as opposed to young adults.

The whole fairy-tale, “poor-girl-comes-in-and-makes-the-prince-fall-in-love-with-her plot” was just too naive and uncomplicated for me. I love messed up story lines, the more messed up, the better. But this one was rather predictable and although once she had the love-triangle going I thought there might be hope yet, once it was clear who she was going to choose, I lost all interest and faith in this book completely.

It also very much bothered me that America, who apparently has been in love with Aspen for over two years or so, just gave up on the relationship so easily, pretty much as soon as she saw Maxon and he started taking an interest in her. I mean, if she actually truly loved him I don’t think it would have been so easy for her to just move on and take into consideration the fact that she might start developing feelings for Maxon. I guess that’s just from experience but that part wasn’t realistic to me. It’s like Cass was trying really hard to fit everything together perfectly and therefore her heroine fell short in remaining true to herself, acting instead like any other naive girl who is swept of her feet by the grandiosity of the situation she is thrust upon. I had bigger expectations from America, especially since she seemed different and had known more of life than the other girls.

Also, the book itself was a little too much like a soap opera for me. I mean non of the problems that America encountered in this book were very heart-breaking in any way. Except for Aspen breaking up with her, the rest of it was just girls trying to get Maxon’s attention in every superficial way possible. I also didn’t like America acting so “whorish” with both Maxon and Aspen (at the same time!), especially because of her love for Aspen that she kept mentioning all throughout the book. It seemed to me that America changed as soon as she arrived at the castle and met handsome Prince Maxon and then was also swept away by the beautiful gowns, grandiose setting and delicious food/entertainment.

This book was definitely not my cup of tea, although I can see younger kids reading this book and enjoying it. Personally, I prefer books that are a little deeper and make me think and ponder long after the book is done. Of course, I did give the next book in this series a chance, especially because it was rather short and a very easy read, although my expectations were much lower this time around.
CCH2098
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by CCH2098 »

I will admit this now, I picked this book off of the shelf because of the pretty dress on the cover. However, after reading the jacket I was intrigued. This series is WONDERFUL! I can see myself reading it a couple of times. The charters keep you in the story, and I found it very difficult to put them down. I am just happy I didn't start reading them before they were all released.
MaroBenipayo

Post by MaroBenipayo »

I really love this series that's why when she went to our country to have a tour, I really came! I've met here personally and i'm so happy!

About the book, I love how it goes. It's a combination of some classic & modern. Classic for the castle story (it feels classic to me haha) and how America acts is very modern
untameddauntless
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-untameddauntless.html

Post by untameddauntless »

This series is seriously golden. This series was one of the reason why I started to like dystopian themed stories. I read this series like a million times now because I still can't get over the fact that America and Maxon are together. :lol:
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I really enjoyed The Selection Series by Kiera Cass. The development of the characters throughout the books is what I loved the most: America grows into a person who is comfortable with herself and her opinions, Maxon grows as a man and a prince who cares about those around him, and Aspen learns to respect himself and America. The scenes that Kiera creates with her words invoke realistic images and emotions. I am excited for the next book that comes out in May 2016.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
clang3
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clang3.html

Post by clang3 »

The series in my opinion was simply... alright. I loved the concept and the first book really did have me hooked but I just felt it was too drawn out for no real reason. There was very little world-building and a lot of whining by the characters. In the end these books are a silly and fun read but definitely not on the level of a personal favorite.

And seriously, American Singer? I just couldn't get past hating the name! :|
HarneetB
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5840">The Princess Bride</a>
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harneetb.html
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton

Post by HarneetB »

So I have the whole series at home and finished all three and loved them. They remind me so much of a twisted version of Cinderella meets The Bachelor meets Hunger Games. I love the concept of the whole story and fell in love with many of the characters. Anyone can relate to at least one of the character's. I really like Maxon and Aspen and when this whole love triangle started it tore me too pieces because they were both amazing in their own ways. America was a beautiful, strong and independent girl and i enjoyed reading the books from her perspective. I was a little disappointed in the outcome of the series but overall it was a fantastic read. A new book came out in the series as well called The Heir, I haven't read it yet, but i have heard good things about it and will definitely check it out soon.
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”