Review: The Selection Series, by Kiera Cass

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
akweaver13
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akweaver13.html

Re: Review: The Selection Series, by Kiera Cass

Post by akweaver13 »

I was thoroughly captured when I began to read 'The Selection.' I felt Kiera Cass drew me into a new world that was not only intriguing but edgy. I was impressed with the character dynamics and the relationships developed throughout. I am normally very good at guessing the plot outcomes, and throughout the series I was thrown for many loops. Although, I did manage to guess a few key details, I was happily surprised at the way Kiera Cass was able to stay unpredictable while staying true to her developed characters.

As soon as I finished the series, I bought my sister the first book. I highly recommend it!
erica_bvs
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 668">Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince</a>
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erica-bvs.html

Post by erica_bvs »

I loved this series! I started the first one on a weekend road trip and finished the next two that very same weekend. I just couldn't put them down! I really like the YA dystopian novels and who doesn't like a good love triangle? I haven't read The Heir because I just feel like Kiera Cass should have just ended the story with America and the Prince instead of drawing out the story with their child.
el_nordie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-nordie.html

Post by el_nordie »

This series was amazing! Kiera Cass is an amazing writer and really captivated me with this series. I read all three books in two days, then when the fourth came out I read that in about six or seven hours, and the fifth in about the same time! I couldn't put the books down, they were so exciting. I could relate with almost all the characters and the characters were all very eccentric! The whole mix of romance, action, drama, and unexpected plot twists made the entire story impossible to put down! 4.5/5 stars.
kayeambos

Post by kayeambos »

I just finished reading the One and I'm not really satisfied with the series. I mean, the first one got me all giddy and happy that I was extremely excited to get the second book but when I started reading the elite, it disappointed me how boring it was. It didn't have the excitement that the selection gave me. I felt like Kierra could have done a better job. America is such a lovely character and I just wish the second and third book justified that fact even more. The ending wasn't even how I'd imagined it to be. It was like the author was trying to just finished the book because it might be too long or she has no more idea's on how to end the book. I'm not satisfied with the ending. I wish it was something more compelling and dramatic. The first book is amazing. I love the first one though. 3/5.
Ink0_0
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ink0_0 »

So conflicted

I hate everything about these books

Somehow - cannot stop reading

It's like an addiction, even though it's utterly obvious from the get go what happens ... like I wanna read on .. and on .. and on

I recommend to not pick up, you will be hooked, and each page is cringeworthily bad.

Is there a character as pathetic as America?? umm probably not. GET A GRIP GIRL

(Its a poorly written Cinderella story with a sprinkle of the Hunger games plagiarism)

Girl hates guy, girl falls for guy, girl has to choose between guys, girl and guy separated by forbidden love, [hey let's throw in a rebellion to jump on the dystopian hype], andddd they alllll livvvve happily evvvver afffterrrr. THE END.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I have completely fallen under the spell of The Selection. I read the first three books and loved them! I am debating wheather or not I want to read The Heir and The Crown or any of the novellas. I know that the story of The Heir and The Crown pick up with Maxon and America's offspring, but I'm unsure if I want to read on. I liked America and Maxon, and was hoping those books were continuing their main storyline. Can anyone recommend if these later books are worth getting into?
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
ablume
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ablume.html

Post by ablume »

loved this series! It was interesting to see basically what a traditional style monarchy would look like in the modern day. I'll admit that this series could be a bit infuriating for me though when it came to lack of communication between the characters, and the whole aspect of being torn between two equally great guys. It's because of this though that I feel the series was able to be so successful, it made it so that no choice was easy and you felt for the main character America the whole time. Also, because without all the dramatics(competition and royalty), when you strip this situation to its roots it could easily happen to anyone, as everyone has uncertainties for their future and making the wrong choice.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I just finished the second book in this series "The Elite" and I'm a little disappointed. The first book introduced Aspen and Prince Maxon beautifully. It immediately pulled me in. The second book has me wondering why it was written. I don't feel like it added that much to the story line. America went back and forth between Aspen and Maxon and still at the end of the book could not figure out which one she truly wants. The first one ended with her leaning more towards Maxon much like this 2nd book. She thought she was being kicked out but realized that she did really want a chance with Maxon. America has finally told Aspen to give her a chance to choose him which I feel is telling him to back off. My only concern with that is she told him that as she was leaving the castle. Now that she's staying who doesn't say that they will fall back into their old pattern of meeting in private?

I like that Kiera has made America a strong woman who stands up for her beliefs. I am proud that she stood up for Marlee. I knew America was going too hard on Maxon. I am still in Maxon's corner but I am just ready for her to be done with the love conflicts and fix the country! I think Queen Amberly wants America to win because she understands the caste system is messed up. I am predicting that in "The One" (which I just ordered on Amazon) Maxon will finally pick her. That's honestly all I anticipate to happen. I'm hoping "The Heir" is when they can figure out what to do about the rebels and free the land of the tyranny it's facing. The whole country is routing for her except for the higher-up castes so I have total faith in my girl, Mer.

-- 15 Feb 2017, 10:38 --

I just finished the 3rd installment to this series and I am much happier with this series. The One is much more fast paced than The Elite. I didn't like The Elite, which I already posted my reasons why, but I did love this book. America has finally come into her role as Princess and now is Queen. I am excited to read The Heir to see how she continues to sort through the disturbances of the Southern Rebels. I am also excited to see how Kiera continues to build on August and Georgia.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I absolutely love this series. I finished The One a little while ago and now I am going to be starting The Heir. I enjoyed America and Maxon's story so much, and I hope I enjoy Princess Eadlyn's story as well. From reviews that I have read, it sounds like her personality is much different from America's, but I suppose that is what makes it a new and different story.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Autumn Welsh

Post by Autumn Welsh »

If I had to rate this series I'd give it a perfect 4.5 stars. I just finished the fifth book and everything is so wonderful!
III_Jasmine_III
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by III_Jasmine_III »

Like I really liked the series but wasn't compeletly in love with it...
~ J ~
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

I loved the series at the time I read it but as for now I feel it was an okay read.
underthe_cloudyskies
Currently Reading: The Catcher in the Rye
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-underthe-cloudyskies.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by underthe_cloudyskies »

I read the first two books of this series about a year back. When it comes to developing a dystopian society and a love triangle the series has done a good job of that. But the only thing that has kept me from liking this series is this simple fact- " In a world of hunger and poverty when a country is recovering from post war experiences, how logical is it to host this expensive event to marry the prince?"
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I am completely in awe of this series! Such complexity in an otherwise simple plot. I haven't read the prequel, the love story between Maxon's parents but to be able to see and imagine them at the beginning of their journey is something to get excited for!
Summer_Lark

Post by Summer_Lark »

My favorite part of the series is that the last 2 books of the series focus on the daughter, Eadlyn, and how she deals with the selection process. This is the first time that there was a selection process that focused on finding a king instead of a queen due to Maxon and America making it possible for their daughter to rule instead of their son, Eadlyns twin brother who was born second. The way that Eadlyn did it completely different than how Maxon went through the process was so refreshing and the end result of who she decided to be with and how the country would function was truly a reminder that she is America and Maxon's daughter.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”