Eleanor And Park - Rainbow Rowell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camartinsky
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camartinsky.html

Re: Eleanor And Park - Rainbow Rowell

Post by Camartinsky »

It was pretty cute but the ending drove me nuts...
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

I am honestly in love. with this book, and though it comes second to Fangirl, it is seriously one of the best books written by Rainbow Rowell. Her ability to make stories about teens seem realistic is a unique quality many authors do not possess; she surely knows how it is being a teenager! Eleanor and Park is a great novel, and I would recommend it to everyone.

Thanks for the great review; it does justice to the amazing book :)
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
[Sarzy 19]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarzy-19.html

Post by [Sarzy 19] »

Loved Eleanor and Park! Different perspective of YA book and throughly enjoyed the way Rainbow Rowell developed the two characters coming from different sides of the tracks.
MegHatch

Post by MegHatch »

I read Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell in two days because I could just not put it down. I often connect well anytime I read, but something about this book just really pulled me and made me feel as if I was there actually witnessing these beautiful, interesting, characters lives. I loved this book, I will hold it close to my heart always I believe. It gave me a taste of that young love again and how exciting and new it was. Definitely worth the read.
"Eleanor was right: She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't suppose to look nice; it was suppose to make you feel something."
Jdunkle10
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jdunkle10 »

What I loved most about Eleanor and Park was that it was so raw. I really appreciate when an author doesn't fluff things up for the sake of writing or tone down teenage life. A pet peeve of mine is when young adult authors have a picture perfect fantasy about teen life that omits cursing, drinking, sex, etc. The fore mentioned are what makes for real life in the cases of most children, though it is generally ignored in the eyes of parents.

The premise is simple. Boy was raised right and is nice to the new weird girl. Eventually they become friends once he realizes there is more to life than being "nice and cool" and then they become even more. It's a story that isn't about the nice girl meets nice guy. It's the weird, poor girl meets the shy boy who stays under the radar. Those people in high school who you remember seeing around but weren't directly connected to.

This was my first Rainbow Rowell book and I will definitely be back for more - the way that she constructs sentences and paints the perfect picture in your head is astounding. It's not so much that she writes this book so you can see what's happening, but more so you can feel what's happening between the characters.

"What are the chances you’d ever meet someone like that? he wondered. Someone you could love forever, someone who would forever love you back? And what did you do when that person was born half a world away? The math seemed impossible."
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

Eleanor and Park is one of my all-time favorite books! I was surprised at how quickly I fell in love with both of the characters and how completely different they both were! Definitely worth the read!
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I loved Eleanor and Park, I thought it was more than cute but handled several real, important issues very well, like abuse and the question of masculinity. It took real world problems and made them easy to read and understand by mixing them in with romance and friendship. It was a truly great book.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Blo0dwashed

Post by Blo0dwashed »

OMG!! After 3 chapters the only thing I was thinking was "this isn't gonna end well". I fell in love with the characters and the writing. I felt those emotions with them. *fangirls* This book is amazing. It was so real. I couldn't help but see myself in the characters shoes. It was so easy to relate to them. This is amazing
Marianaleivap
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianaleivap.html

Post by Marianaleivap »

SPOILERS!!!!
I totally agree with you that Rainbow Rowell definitely remembers who to be a teenager. I loved this book from the beginning to the end. I think Rainbow could capture all the emotions of Eleanor and her family being abused by Richy. Can we focus on how hateful was Richy? I think every time he appeared on the book, I was so angry. I hated how he treated her and her mother and I felt sad about the kids because they kind of don't fully understand that he is bad. I suppose that the kid needed a father figure and they just take Richy as it. I disagree with you about the end. I think, it is really good. Eleanor had so many things going on that she needed to putt all of that in order first. Also, I think, she needed to love herself before she could truly love Park because he is such a good boy and he deserve true and complete love back.
Rakshita

Post by Rakshita »

I remember browsing through the internet in search for a new novel.. I came across Eleanor and Park and decided to read it. and trust me I am glad I did... it is a combination of romance, trust, lies and any other emotion.. with an unexpected and twisted ending... A must read on my list :techie-studyinggray:
ubbah12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubbah12.html

Post by ubbah12 »

I am looking forward to reading this novel!
JB_corbin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb-corbin.html

Post by JB_corbin »

I enjoyed Eleanor and Park. I read it after seeing Rainbow Rowell in a panel at LeakyCon a few years ago. I loved her style and was very curious to see what she could do. I felt her writing was very reminiscent of John Green, though perhaps her dialogue is even better than his, more realistic to the individual characters and with more flow. I judge a lot of authors on their ability to write good dialogue, and Rowell get's an A. I did feel, however, that the story fizzled at the end, but not enough that I wouldn't enjoy reading more like it or even pick up and revisit Eleanor and Park more than once.
using-my-words
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-using-my-words.html

Post by using-my-words »

I loved this book and I love Rainbow Rowell. I ADORED Fangirl - which was why I read this in the first place. (:
fsdred
Favorite Author: Rainbow Rowell
Currently Reading: Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1)
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fsdred.html
fav_author_id: 2837

Post by fsdred »

I love Eleanor and Park so much!! My favorite author is Rainbow Rowell because she just gets what teenagers want to read. I currently have two of her books and have read them so many times :D. If you are looking for something to read, read one of her's especially Eleanor and Park or Fangirl as they are some of the best I have read :!:
nina-mouawad
Currently Reading: A Feast For Crows
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-mouawad.html

Post by nina-mouawad »

AMAZING BOOK! Heartwarming and heartbreaking all at the same time! I wasn't expecting to care so much about these characters and their relationship but I was completely caught up in this story. It's told in 3rd-person past tense, which I sometimes have trouble connecting with, but not so in this case! I feel like I really know both Eleanor and Park, and I love them both separately but I especially love them together. It seemed like their relationship shouldn't work, but it does, so well. I was grinning like an idiot while reading because I was just so giddy over their blooming romance. I could feel how much they cared for each other like it was oozing off the page.

Overall, I loved this book--the characters, the romance, the writing and just the way everything unfolded so beautifully and felt so real. One of the best contemporary novels I've read in a while! DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”