Who is your favorite YA author?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookHipster
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 761">Grave Mercy</a>
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhipster.html

Re: Who is your favorite YA author?

Post by BookHipster »

I would highly recommend Maria V Snyder and Richelle Mead. Snyder keeps you on your toes throughout the entire book/series, to the point of total frustration (but in a good way) where you literally have no idea who the heck the characters are going to make it out of their predicament. Mead creates unique concepts and excellent characterization, not to mention complicated romances and thrilling plots.

To all those who recommend Sarah J. Maas, I used to be like you. I absolutely loved Throne of Glass and was eager to read the next of her series. TOG could have easily been left as a stand alone, which I thought it was going to, but I was thrilled that it was going to be a series because I needed more Chaol and Celaena. However the next book, Crown of Midnight, was only good for the first half. Heir of Fire was nothing but pages and pages of absolute nothing, meaning the characters seriously did nothing substantial until around Chapter 50 (and there were 68 chapters). I don't know how people "devoured" this book as it was a struggle for me to get through it from the absolute boredom it gave me. The next book after that was just worse. I give Maas kudos for having a plot line and mystery that was introduced bit by bit throughout the books, but this was the only thing she was constant with. As for characters, she doesn't know how to make her characters grow or stay constant, not to mention the random introducing of a character in the series that was only put there to please her sexual fantasies of writing scenes with shirtless men. I read her series for the incredible unique plot, but as the series dragged on I was given cheesy romance and barely any substantial plot. If I had wanted cheesy romance, I would have read 50 Shades or something along those lines. She also is inconsistent with third person limited POV and breaks the first rule in writing, stay away from passive voice. "Dorian was panting and blood was running from his nose." (Book 4) Not to mention Celaena gets on my nerves as the series goes on, yet is mentioned about a hundred times how much she's "grown" and "changed." Nope, I see no difference from the first book.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and I might make a forum dedicated to a giant rant about the 4th book, but I just wanted to speak my mind since many people recommend Maas but have only read the first book of her series. Stop while you can, because as the series goes on Maas gets sloppy and her writing style becomes juvenile. I am currently reading A Court of Thorns and Roses and I hope I will enjoy this. Then again, I enjoyed Throne of Glass.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

I really like Sarah Dessen (Saint Anything, Just Listen). She's been around a while and has written some very emotional and relevant stuff. I also recently discovered Kerby Larson, author of the Newberry Award winning Hattie Big Sky and the follow-up, Hattie Ever After. Both of these authors write YA that I would actually recommend to tweens and teens.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Sophi57
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophi57.html

Post by Sophi57 »

My favorite author for YA is Richelle Meade Vampire Acadenmy was amazing and I couldn't enough of bloodlines. I'm still hoping for a series from Eddie and Jill's POV. I haven't got my hands around soundless yet.
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I put Richelle Meade at the top of my list. I was so thoroughly engrossed in the Vampire Academy and Bloodline series both that I read them all in just a short time. I was so happy that she decided to show more about the Alchemist world and then tapped into witchery a bit as well. I think Richelle did a great job tying everything in together and she put her own spin on the Vampire world as well because lets admit, it is hard to change up vampires these days when there are so many different takes on how their lives work.

I super highly recommend both series! They are great YA with a little bit of love thrown in. :D
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
+Bianca+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by +Bianca+ »

Choosing only one author will give me a hernia. If it was your goal to make me ugly cry then congratulations you have succeeded.

Kate Brian and the private series is definitely one of my favorites. Even though that series had about 14 books it still wasn't enough. I'm currently reading the spinoff series with Ariana Osgood (she's crazy but I can't help but root for her?)

Cassandra Clare and the Mortal Instruments series. Words cannot describe how much I love this series

Zoey Dean and the A-List series. Come on. Teens in LA? It's practically The Hills or Laguna Beach (Don't give me that look you know you've watched it.)

Richelle Mead and Vampire Academy. READ IT OK TRUST ME ON THIS ONE.

Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. I'll probably yell at myself later for forgetting one.
Alylynn317
Currently Reading: Every Last Word
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alylynn317.html

Post by Alylynn317 »

Ticia2022 wrote:My favorite YA author is Jennifer Armentrout. I really enjoy the LUX series and the Covenant Series. It is just an added bonus that her adult books are great as well.

Jennifer L Armentrout, hands down, no question. Love her books! I have read most except for the gamble brother series and a few of the independent novels. My first books by her were the LUX series and I FELL IN LOVE. Love The Wicked Trilogy, The Covenant Series, and now A Titan Novel series, and The Lux Series. The With You Saga and The Dark Elements series were good too, just not AS good. And then I have read Obsession and Cursed which are stand alones. I did read the first Gamble Brother's book, but I surprisingly did not like it at all. I was astounded that she wrote it because I thought it was horrible compared to her other books. But one out of many means nothing. She is an amazing writer.
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

Derek Landry hands down, I love his books so much.
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
Dayza 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayza-2.html

Post by Dayza 2 »

Stephanie Meyers
John Green
Gayle Forman
Veronica Roth

So many others. Although John Green seems to have some terrible endings lol.
taleasoldastime_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taleasoldastime.html

Post by taleasoldastime_ »

Recently... Sarah J Maas. Love her writing and so far A Court of Thorn and Roses & Throne of Glass are two of my favorite reads this year!

I just read a posts a few above about 'used to be like me' for loving her so far, but ACOTAR was fantastic.

I also love Sarah Dessen and Lani Taylor.
DFB

Post by DFB »

I'm a big Holly Black fan, she writes with a solid regionalism and you can see a lot of research goes into her characterization and settings. She's also very prolific, if she isn't releasing a new book, she's doing a comic or she's doing short stores for anthologies
_hbanga
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Perfect Chemistry</a>
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hbanga.html

Post by _hbanga »

I would have to say Sophie Kinsella, she makes me laugh and I enjoy reading most of her work. Her character's are usually on the verge of a nervous breakdown and I can totally relate to them! Apart from her I really enjoyed reading the Ruby Red Trilogy By Kerstin Gier, it was written originally in Dutch and translated to English and I have to say it was very entertaining. I love stories about time travel and she did a very good job on the series, I'm very excited about reading more of her work.
ivonnecalva

Post by ivonnecalva »

My favourite author would be Marie Lu. She is such a great fast pace writer. Her books themselves capture you and put you in this trance of suspense. The way i see it is that Marie lu captures you with jer writing enluring you and making you fall in love with her stories. Once you are the climax of the story it self she takes the opportunity to destroy and crumble your soul in millions of tiny pieces, causing you a good sense of pain, because this gives you an exaplmple of how great a writer she is.
aspann09
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspann09.html

Post by aspann09 »

My favorite YA author is Dana Davidson.
Alexatheauthor
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Alexatheauthor »

I'm older, so I'm going to say Judy Blume. All of her books capture teen angst and the most trying times of adolescence. I couldn't recommend her more. :techie-studyingbrown:
bookreader16

Post by bookreader16 »

My favorite author would probably have to be Sarah Dessen because she writes so many books that I can relate to. Her storylines are incredible!! If you haven't already go check out some of her books!! I'm sure anyone who reads them will fall in love with them!! :D

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”