Review: If I Stay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lauraella12
Currently Reading: Sugar Baby
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraella12.html

Re: Review: If I Stay

Post by lauraella12 »

I have this book when i first started this book i wasnt too sure about it but i gave it chance and soon got hooked i love the story line! I now have the sequel to this where she went but havent started it yet.
ashleeworsham
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleeworsham.html

Post by ashleeworsham »

I first saw the book If I Stay in stores years ago, probably when it first came out. I picked it up but I never bothered to read it until I saw that it was becoming a movie and I have to agree with everything that was said above. It wasn't your normal cliche romance novel. It was one of those books that makes you think about what you would do in this situation. The whole concept of getting to choose if you stay or if you go is amazing to say the least. I don't think many people really think of that when they read a book with similar story lines. Definitely a great read.
Last edited by ashleeworsham on 08 Jul 2015, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
tigris12519
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigris12519.html

Post by tigris12519 »

I loved this book too. As you said, the characters were so developed I just felt like I knew all of them. I loved how the story was told by a mixture of scenes in the present and flashbacks to before the accident.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it! It was such a refreshing new idea, and the way it was written made me feel so much like I was a part of the story: I couldn't put it down.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Chelssjames
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelssjames.html

Post by Chelssjames »

If I Stay by Gayle Forman is a beautifully written book. The story keeps you hooked, is she going to live? Is she going to die? Will she stay with Adam? You read to find out the ending. After all that's basically the whole point in reading, watching a film, etc. You start something to finish it.

Although it was quite hard to keep myself motivated to read this book. Even though Forman wrote an amazing story of the life or death of Mia, she failed to keep my interested on every page. Mia kept having flashbacks of different parts of her life and it ended up in me constantly skipping pages just because I didn't really care about what happened on every night of her life before the accident! I wanted to know whether she was going to make it to the end of the book. It wouldn't have been that bad if the flashbacks weren't so repeatitive, but they were sadly and that bored me.

It was much better as a film if I am honest. The flashbacks fitted in perfectly throughout the film.

So what I'm trying to say is it wasn't the best book I've ever read but I wouldn't say it was the total worst either, but more bad than good.
BookishB84
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishb84.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BookishB84 »

I zoomed through this book! I thought it was a very interesting perspective to read from. It wasn't the best writing ever but I thought it was good and didn't feel like I'd wasted my time reading it. I looked forward to the sequel and had it also been free at the time I finished this, I'd have read it then but it was a few months ago and I've lost interest in the sequel. I may still give it a go because I did like it.
Ajsmith
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajsmith.html

Post by Ajsmith »

I was a bit apprehensive to read this book because it assumed it would be the same stagnant teen love story with some drama and then the resolution of happily ever after. I was very pleased to find out it was so much more than that! I really felt connected to every character and the drama was absent which was great! I recommend reading this book for anybody any age! It was a great read!
Nathan Klein
Currently Reading: Killing Patton
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathan-klein.html

Post by Nathan Klein »

Don't make the mistake of listening to the audiobook with your family! I was surprised by how much language there was in the book. Overall though I still thought If I Stay was a great book.
ebwb18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebwb18.html

Post by ebwb18 »

I read this book right when it was released and thought it was amazing. I also enjoyed the second book in the series 'Where She Went'.

However, I have tried to read the newer books by this author and find they do not meet the expectations of If I Stay.
domnicole1987
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domnicole1987.html

Post by domnicole1987 »

I agree with everything everyone else said about the book. It was simply amazing. I read it when it first came out because I was fascinated by the whole out of body experience thing. The characters are very easy to relate to and the way it is written really makes you feel something. I love books like that. My favorite part of the book is when Mia's grandfather comes to see her and tells her he wants her to stay but if she doesn't want to he understands. That part made me cry. An all around good book.
Pamessner
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamessner.html

Post by Pamessner »

A story of a young teenager trying to decide what her future holds. Does she go to her dream school of music?nor does she follow the love of her life to his career. All that is ripped away in a single second that leaves Mia to choose a new path? Does she stay? Or does she go?
kaylamac
Currently Reading: Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylamac.html

Post by kaylamac »

Until happening upon this thread, I had no idea that "If I Stay" was a book! I saw the movie earlier this year and it tore my heart into little tiny pieces, but somehow I didn't mind. Now I, of course, have to read the book. And I'm excited to find out that there's a sequel!
To those of you who have read the book and seen the movie, what are your thoughts? Likes, dislikes?
Taylor Hagen
Currently Reading: Reached
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hagen.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Taylor Hagen »

i remember reading this book in one day! Then of course I had to go watch the movie! Very much loved it :P
Kyrstynnicole
Currently Reading: Zac and Mia
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrstynnicole.html

Post by Kyrstynnicole »

I zoomed through the first book but I had some trouble with the second, I don't know if it's because I did not like it or if I just was not in the reading mood at that time, maybe I'll pick up the book again soon and see how I take it!
Mama_Of_One_2015
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-of-one-2015.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mama_Of_One_2015 »

I Loved Loved Loved this book - the author's description of Mia's (the main character) thoughts and emotions were excellent. "Where She Went" (the sequel) took quite a different turn, telling it from his POV, and I had a much harder time following his thought process and the author's descriptions of their travel over the city. I personally would have enjoyed it if the second book had picked up right as she woke up, and kept Mia as the first person, or alternated POVs.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”