Short Story Contest vs Short Story Anthology

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.

Attention Writers! Which would you rather?

Submit my short story in a short contest for a chance to win a small prize.
17%
Submit my short story for publication in an ebook anthology to be sold for which I would get a small royalty payment.
83%

Total votes: 35

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Short Story Contest vs Short Story Anthology

Post by Scott »

Our previous short story contests on this website worked out fairly well.

But I also have this idea of accepting short story submissions, but instead of publishing them for free viewing, we could compile them into a small anthology to sell it. I'm think about 5 stories total. I think we would primarily sell it as an ebook but we could have a print-on-demand option for anyone who wants a hard-copy. Then I figure each author could get a small cut of the revenue for each book sold. It probably wouldn't be enough to make anyone rich, but I think it is no worse than having a chance at a single small prize.

The second way has more potential but also comes with a chance of failure, failure being that we sell almost no copies of the book. The contest is fairly simple and straightforward, a few people submit their stories and one gets selected as the best and is awarded $25.

My question for you, particularly for the writers on here who would be the ones who may be writing the short stories, is in which would rather participate? A short story contest or a short story anthology?
Last edited by Scott on 25 Aug 2011, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Between the devil and the deep blue sea.....I'd go for the straight forward competition since an anthology may be hard to flog.

What type of exposure are we talking about?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Hannellene

Post by Hannellene »

thanks for sharing .best regards.
mikejean

Post by mikejean »

thats the really nice story i like that
nothing0829

Post by nothing0829 »

Short Story Anthology is easier
ellie

Post by ellie »

I think a short story contest is better and I might write one and try it. :D
myfriend

Post by myfriend »

Nice article.
shaphat

Post by shaphat »

I think we couldtry the anthology at least once and see how it fares.
iamreadingit

Post by iamreadingit »

What will be the amount for prize? Are you to pay best writers in dollars?
lanscot

Post by lanscot »

thanks for share~useful
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

Anthology, not only is there the possibility of royalties, which could even add up to the amount of the original short story competition award, but you have the chance to be recognised. Even if its just another small author or publisher who either wants your help or you never know offer you something.
Get recognised people!!!
Quincy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quincy.html

Post by Quincy »

I would prefer the anthology as opposed to a contest. A published anthology means more exposure.
Sherelle
Favorite Author: Danielle Steele
Favorite Book: Under the Tuscan sun
Currently Reading: Fine Things by Danielle Steele
fav_author_id: 3181

Post by Sherelle »

An anthology seems better, especially for a new author. The contest might be like grabbing at straws while the anthology would get the authors more exposure, and there is strength in numbers; someone might purchase the finished book because they are familiar with one of the published authors and in the process discover a new and great author!
r123
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r123.html
Latest Review: "THE WOMAN" by Tommy Morgan

Post by r123 »

Definitely an anthology. We did one recently for charity and it did sell. It was called Writings from the Heart. It had writers from all over the world. It would definitely mean more exposure for ALL the writers involved. In a competition max 1-2 winners. And since I never win a competition I would certainly vote for an anthology :)
Latest Review: "THE WOMAN" by Tommy Morgan
Gillshutt

Post by Gillshutt »

Submitting to an anthology is much like a competition... you win if it gets in the book. But there's more chance of winning than if it was a competition with three prizes as an anthology (I'm putting one together myself at the moment called Weird Legends) has twenty or so winners... more if it's short, short stories.

Return to “Writing Discussion”