Short Story Contest vs Short Story Anthology

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.

Attention Writers! Which would you rather?

Submit my short story in a short contest for a chance to win a small prize.
17%
Submit my short story for publication in an ebook anthology to be sold for which I would get a small royalty payment.
83%

Total votes: 35

hopeingod
Bookshelf Size: 0

Anthology

Post by hopeingod »

I just completed a collection of Thomas Hardy's short stories, all of which had a link to the societal mores regarding dating, if indeed the use of that word can fit that time. Mostly, it showed the disappointments and brokenness of lost and forbidden love, either because one did not fit into the financial level of a family or because a woman knew only how to milk a cow.

What these stories displayed well were the times, the attitudes, even the suspicions of those days. Today's society is certainly more relaxed, but is it good that we are less driven by Biblical values and the practice of refraining from extramarital affairs as well as sexual intercourse outside of marriage?

What I'm meaning to say is that we too can provide a picture of our times through short stories, if they remain within our time. A story would not have to focus on a romance, but include stuff like relationships in general, the taking on of primitive cultures, business acumen, or the hypocrisy of government.

-- 04 May 2014, 08:04 --

-- 04 May 2014, 08:06 --
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

I'm wondering whether everyone can take part in it or only for some countries?
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

If I had a choice I would say that I would like my story to be in an anthology, but the reality is that it is not very probable, and the only people who would buy copies are ourselves :)

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Either seems really interesting, but if I were to win a contest (which I won't because I am terrible at short stories), I would much rather tell my family, "Hey, look, my story is going to be in an anthology!" Instead of, "I won a short story contest and got a prize." Plus, you can always put the anthology on your list of publication credentials, right?
cdisenberg
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Way too many to list
Currently Reading: Dantes Inferno
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdisenberg.html

Post by cdisenberg »

Re: Short Story Contest vs Short Story Anthology

I think I would prefer the anthology over contest, but I just want to write so, I would do either. This is how I started writing in school with friends each of us picking up where the other left off or moving it in a different direction.
SCTurner

Post by SCTurner »

An Anthology seems like the best idea and I think the e-book would be the best media for it as there are less costs involved. I noticed that this thread started years ago. Did this already happen?

-- 19 Sep 2014, 12:51 --
hiluhriehope
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiluhriehope.html

Post by hiluhriehope »

I'm voting for the anthology. Even if the writers selected make no money, it's always nice to see your name in print. :)
TrivarnaH
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trivarnah.html

Post by TrivarnaH »

I think both are immensely lucrative as they promote professional writing in equal measure. A short story anthology may be deemed a better way of motivating authors to write more of what they like.
jgreen11
Currently Reading: Deception Point
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgreen11.html
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita

Post by jgreen11 »

If the contest hasn't happened yet, or if there is another one being created sometime soon, I would love to join! Either one sounds great! Though an anthology would be pretty awesome, and produce more winners. I hope we do another one if this contest has already been completed!
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita
vadadagon
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: Emma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vadadagon.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by vadadagon »

I would be greatly interested in something like this but it all depends of the type of Genre in which the story is being written.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Mrs. Bennet
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Cool. I would like to win a spot in an anthology. Has there been any decision about when all of this might be happening? I would hate to miss the opportunity to participate.
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough
bedheadisme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bedheadisme.html

Post by bedheadisme »

I would be completely open to it being an anthology. I'm of the opinion that any exposure is a good thing. :D
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Okay, your voices have been heard! I have created a new short story contest and the winning stories will be made into an anthology. The details are here: Short Story Contest
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Writing Discussion”