How To Get A Book Published

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Re: How To Get A Book Published

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Wonderful information! I attempted to write and get published a book in my high school years, even got in contact with an agent. But since I was under the age of 18, my dad had to do everything with me and once we started talking money for editing, the cover and everything else that needed to be done, I had to stop. Now I am inspired again!
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loveabull »

I'm still trying to figure this out for some children's books I'd like to create. Sometimes I guess it's about finding your niche market. I have a cousin who writes the most gawd awful Christian themed drivel...and he's up to publishing like the forth volume, so guess he found whatever that sells...
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
kim-darrell
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-darrell.html

Post by kim-darrell »

I love all this helpful advice in this writing thread. I haven't even begun to write my book yet but have a ton of ideas on how to get started on it. It's nice to know this information on how to get a book published to know that when the time comes I will have all the information and knowledge that I need to possibly make this dream come true.
shariarkhabir179

Post by shariarkhabir179 »

I've read the article and it would be pretty help one for those who want to publish.
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

Agreed all. The publishing is easy these days with Createspace and KPD. The marketing is another story.
Tammy Ruggles

Post by Tammy Ruggles »

My paperback book was published in 2005 by a traditional publisher, and I got published by sending out many query letters. I've been a professional freelance writer since 2002, and write in a variety of areas, including articles, short stories, audio books, poetry, screenplays, and reviews. I'm sure I do more writing than reading.
8ellen8

Post by 8ellen8 »

Thank you for the information. I had a children's book published two years ago. I took it off the market. All I was doing was the marketing and I was paying the publishing company instead of them paying me. I decided to do more research and just wait to see where I am led.
Tammy Ruggles

Post by Tammy Ruggles »

Try not to lose heart. There are many publishers around willing to pay you instead of you paying them, if you want to go the traditional way. And there are writers who like to self-publish as well.
jaguilar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaguilar.html

Post by jaguilar »

This is great advise, thank you so much for sharing, I have 2 manuscripts that have been sitting for a hot minuet and just haven't figured out where to start, I'm not in any rush, I'd looked at the companies that publish for you then you try to market it yourself or buy a "higher" package and they market but that's not really the rout I want to take, this is much more fun and challenging.
ploafman
Favorite Author: Tom Robbins
Favorite Book: Skinny Legs and All
Currently Reading: Nature Girl
fav_author_id: 3036

Post by ploafman »

Keep banging your head against the walls.
Patrick Loafman, author of somewhere Upriver and editor of The Dandelion Farm Review.
Eggroll
Favorite Author: Raymond Chandler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eggroll.html
fav_author_id: 4104

Post by Eggroll »

I don't understand why people would want to self-publish a $3 eBook. No offense, but you'll have what, about 12 readers? Doesn't sound satisfying to me. I'd rather just keep on trying, keep on writing the query letters.
“I lit a cigarette that tasted like a plumber’s handkerchief” - Raymond Chandler
Hearty Guy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hearty-guy.html

Post by Hearty Guy »

Eggroll 04 Jan, 2014 you wrote, "I don't understand why people would want to self-publish a $3 eBook. No offense, but you'll have what, about 12 readers? Doesn't sound satisfying to me. I'd rather just keep on trying, keep on writing the query letters."
Whether it's a three dollar e-book or a ninety-nine cent e-book, or whether it's a perma–free book, going through the process of publishing will help you to learn lots and lots of things about: what is considered good writing, what makes a good Description, have to write a good blurb, what is considered a good cover for your book, and most importantly what your peers in the online writing community think about the overall quality of your work.

I don't think you can really find out any of this elsewhere, certainly not as effectively, as thoroughly and as quickly. Anyone that has published on Amazon has access to thousands of other authors feedback and opinion. This is a valuable asset. Maybe, as you imply, traditional publishing whether on paper or not, IS the big leagues. However, what is there to stop someone in the minor leagues from moving up into the big leagues? In sports, most big leaguers come up from the minors.

E-books are here to stay.

I published one, and if nothing else, had a great deal of fun with it and now enjoy the fine company of other writers. I can tap into the opinions and experience of thousands of other e-book publishers; I'm not hanging on to every word of every rejection letter of every major publisher, which can only be a downbeat experience.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

One of the new and great ways to self-publish is on Amazon's Kindle Select. It does most of the work for you (as far as publishing) and if you use all their tools (like posting your book for free for 1 or 3 days) it really helps to get the word out about your book. And it's free to publish with them. They charge a percentage of what you charge for your book but overall it seems to be a really good deal.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Eggroll
Favorite Author: Raymond Chandler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eggroll.html
fav_author_id: 4104

Post by Eggroll »

I understand that, but I just wouldn't feel very inclined to read an obscure ebook. It comes off as cheap to me.
“I lit a cigarette that tasted like a plumber’s handkerchief” - Raymond Chandler
madness_lady_black

Post by madness_lady_black »

It's a nice dream to have! Inspiring other people by reading your stories, your thoughts...you feel like you did something important with your life, you've inspired others!

Return to “Writing Discussion”