How To Get A Book Published

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
rooshidavid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rooshidavid »

It is my hobby to write articles describing the heart feelings of common man. I have gather about 243 articles. I was in the confusion to whether to publish it or not. Also i was ignorant how to get it publish. I am grateful to you that you have described and inspired me to give respect to myself.
ResearchScholar

Post by ResearchScholar »

rooshidavid wrote:It is my hobby to write articles describing the heart feelings of common man. I have gather about 243 articles. I was in the confusion to whether to publish it or not. Also i was ignorant how to get it publish. I am grateful to you that you have described and inspired me to give respect to myself.
If you are proceeding with your pubication plans maybe you can let someone read and edit your articles first. It is often the case that the author cannot detect errors and other problems in his own work, and he requires another pair of eyes to pin-point these.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

ResearchScholar wrote:
rooshidavid wrote:It is my hobby to write articles describing the heart feelings of common man. I have gather about 243 articles. I was in the confusion to whether to publish it or not. Also i was ignorant how to get it publish. I am grateful to you that you have described and inspired me to give respect to myself.
If you are proceeding with your pubication plans maybe you can let someone read and edit your articles first. It is often the case that the author cannot detect errors and other problems in his own work, and he requires another pair of eyes to pin-point these.
Yeah its a good idea!
Career Novelist

Post by Career Novelist »

With the changing face of the publishing industry, and the advent of the eBook and the Kindle reader, now more than ever it is important for the aspiring writer to understand the market, literary agents and editors, as well as their craft. With a 98% rejection rate among query letters, many writers will never even get their work in front of an industry professional. There is a gateway and that gateway is the query letter.

The query letter is the most important letter you will write, and though there is a lot of free advice floating around about how to write a query letter, most of it is the advice the 98% who are getting rejected are following. I know because I followed this same advice for years, getting my work rejected, too. In my darkest moments of frustration I remember thinking, "They aren't rejecting you, or your book--which they haven't yet read--they are rejecting your idea, your presentation, you show of professionalism."

How can a literary agent mail out hundreds of rejection slips a week crushing the dreams of countless authors trying to make it to market? Simple, your query letter. The truth is, most query letters are innocently flawed in one manner or another, and of those that are decent, 80% are sent to the wrong literary agent. You can spend years, decades, writing the perfect novel, but what you do with a single page--your query letter--will determine if that book ever even gets read.

I started researching literary agents and soliciting their advice years ago thinking I needed to know what I didn't already know about query letters, what everyone else didn't know. Recently I pieced together all the advice, tips and strategies to create a formula that now captures the essence of writing the consummate query letter. Since the information was far to detailed and entirely too long to fit in a single blog post or article on my website, I turned it into an eBook that now spans about 120 pages.

The reason I've written this post is to let you know it's not the better writer that will get his or her book published by a respected publisher, only the one who better studies and knows the path to publication.

Good luck.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Career novelist, its great to have you on the forum. You are such a great help, always..
Career Novelist

Post by Career Novelist »

Thanks, happy to be here!
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

If you are still looking for help getting your manuscript published, I recommend you consider buying one of these 4 books:

Getting Your Book Published for Dummies by Adrian and Sarah Zackheim - Consider this friendly guide your tour of the publishing industry - from understanding the business and its players to the art of negotiating advances, options, and rights. Take advantage of industry insider Sarah Parsons Zackheim's decades of experience and find out how to refine your book idea, submit winning queries, get an agent, and more.

The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published: How to Write It, Sell It, and Market It . . . Successfully! by Arielle Eckstut and David Henry Sterry - The best, most comprehensive book for writers is now completely revised and updated to address ongoing changes in publishing. Published in 2005 as Putting Your Passion Into Print, this is the book that's been praised by both industry professionals and bestselling authors. With its extensive coverage of e-books, self-publishing, and online marketing, The Essential Guide to Getting Your Book Published is more vital than ever for anyone who wants to mine that great idea and turn it into a successfully published book. Written by experts with thirteen books between them as well as many years' experience as a literary agent (Eckstut) and a book doctor (Sterry), this nuts-and-bolts guide demystifies every step of the publishing process: how to come up with a blockbuster title, create a selling proposal, find the right agent, understand a book contract, develop marketing and publicity savvy, and, if necessary, self-publish. There's new information on how to build up a following (and even publish a book) online; the importance of a search-engine-friendly title; producing a video book trailer; and e-book pricing and royalties. Includes interviews with hundreds of publishing insiders and authors, including Seth Godin, Neil Gaiman, Amy Bloom, Margaret Atwood, Larry Kirshbaum, Leonard Lopate, plus agents, editors, and booksellers; sidebars featuring real-life publishing success stories; sample proposals, query letters, and a feature-rich website and community for authors.

How Not to Write a Novel: Confessions of a Midlist Author by David Armstrong - A witty guide to getting published that tells it like it is.

Thanks, But This Isn't for UsJessica Page Morrell - All great works of fiction and memoir are unique - but most bad novels, stories, and memoirs have a lot in common. From clunky dialogue to poorly sketched-out characters, sagging pacing to exaggerated prose, these beginners' mistakes drive any agent or editor to their stock rejection letter, telling the aspiring writer "Thanks, but this isn't for us," and leaving many to wonder what exactly it is that they're doing wrong. Veteran writing coach, developmental editor, and writing instructor Jessica Page Morrell will fill in the gaps in every rejection letter you've ever received. In Thanks, But This Isn't for Us, Morrell uses her years of experience to isolate the specific errors beginners make, including the pitfalls of unrealistic dialogue, failing to "show, not tell," and over-the-top plot twists. These are just a few of the problems that keep writers from breaking through with their work. Sympathetic and humane, but pulling no punches, Thanks, But This Isn't for Us shows writers precisely where they've gone wrong and how to get on the right track. In sixteen to-the-point chapters, with checklists, exercises, takeaway tips, and a glossary, Morrell helps readers transcend these mistakes so that they don't have to learn the hard way: with another rejection letter.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Peewee

Post by Peewee »

I have no spare cash, so to publicize my book, Middle Time, I have joined book clubs- this got me a few readers. I was lucky, I sold some books at a launch, and I am using my facebook page for all its worth. I also posteed some trailers online and one big newspaper posted a review. Now I have to approach a bookstore, even though I did not self-publish!
Booklover83

Post by Booklover83 »

So from the replies I am seeing here, it seems like e-book publication would be the way to go?
Gfilm

Post by Gfilm »

I agree with Scott on his original post.

Ultimately, pounding the pavement is the best way to make your book most available to the masses and make money on your book, but its really about getting people to read it and having it mean something to them, even if its for a day.

I know self publishing is less headache, less rejection and you don't have the query letters to write etc. but the fallback is your book is not going to have the best opportunity to get out there.

Contact Lit Agents or directly to publishers is a way for us as writers to grow the thick skin that is needed. Think of it as a defense attorney, you throw enough stuff against the wall, hope that some of it sticks. Same with your pitch to a Lit Agent or Publisher.

The worse they can say is No. New Opportunity. Let a couple months pass, write a more eye catching pitch and do it again.

Do any of you know Sylvester Stallone's story? He tried and tried as an actor for the longest time, small roles, nothing that made him stand out. He did not have the "talent", the voice or the looks...or so many agents, and talent management said after countless auditions that said NO.

He grabbed the situation and attacked it by a different angle. He was also a screenwriter.

He wrote Rocky, and sold it based on the deal he would play the lead.

So don't get discouraged.
Nancykhan

Post by Nancykhan »

It is not difficult to publish a book if you have money but if the book is not really worthy people will not read it which a writer want.
Barbarabillig
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbarabillig.html

Post by Barbarabillig »

I totally agree with what has been said previously - If you aren't willing to take on the marketing of the book - then the book will be lost and never found. I work at it some every day. And thanks to all who have helped me.
Last edited by Scott on 22 Dec 2011, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pm sent to user
Georgemicheal

Post by Georgemicheal »

sounds really hard sometimes about publishing a new book.. anyways all that matters is our patience and perseverance..
thanks to all for sharing valuable information..
its of great help to me as i was wondering about this all day long..
Leonice

Post by Leonice »

Thanks for this info. You have a lot of very good tips.
Buffbh

Post by Buffbh »

one of the simplest is to write or, also published how to attract readers, it's hard for a name, but the era of information technology so powerful it can be easier

Return to “Writing Discussion”