How To Get A Book Published

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
hillarybeth
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hillarybeth.html

Re: How To Get A Book Published

Post by hillarybeth »

Has anyone tried to get published the traditional way after using a self-publishing service? I have been disappointed by the lack of feedback I have with the Lulu-Amazon link; I don't know how many copies I've sold until 8 weeks later.
rjblueyes

Post by rjblueyes »

I've also written a book. Its a childrens book, but nevertheless, my book. I decided to get creative when I was supposed to read my daughter and her class around Easter, but had no Easter books in the house. I've shown it to several people, whom are not family members since they can be biased. They've all said it needs published, but didn't know how to go about doing it. I thought about making it an ebook, but I'm still digging around trying to figure that out.
paatjam

Post by paatjam »

Sounds pretty interesting. The information seems helpful. I hope to have to use it one day.
Teka156

Post by Teka156 »

dollhouse wrote:yes, please do. i'm definitely looking to hear about others' experiences on the subject.
I just wanted to say that I write poetry and I am getting published ASAP!
KattPascale
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Letters to Sam
Currently Reading: In A Small Town
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kattpascale.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by KattPascale »

It's rewarding but hard. I think with all the "do it yourself" information out there people think it's an easy quick 1-2-3 thing. It's a real commitment if you want quality work out there. But it can be done! Kudos and high fives to all those who do it right!
Latest Review: "Song of the Mokihana" by TD Matzenik
wctumesh

Post by wctumesh »

You might think that the hardest part of being a writer is finishing a book. But it can be very difficult to get your work noticed and out onto the bookshelves.
robstar68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robstar68.html

Post by robstar68 »

hi there i'm a published author and the process of finding a publisher was relatively easy. i found it fun and exciting. my book comes out soon and i can't wait, the publisher can't do enough for me and as for marketing and distrurbution it goes out world wide to 194 country and 32 different websites. i'm also going on the radio and in all the regional newspapers. so i would say don't listen to everything you read.
R.S.Williams :D
colleenmclain
Favorite Author: Carl Haasin
Favorite Book: Skinny Dip
Currently Reading: Key Largo

Post by colleenmclain »

I wonder too about submitting for traditional publication after epub ... I think a publisher would be more interested in the project based on reader feed back.. Something I am going to check out.
In the marketing department, I have to agree, it's a lot of work getting your name out there and keeping it there. I am still looking other avenues .. these forums are a great start.
candicec11

Post by candicec11 »

I've been told by other people who have been published by traditional publishing houses that unless you are already a big name, you still have to do most of the hard work of marketing the book. I have 3 books self-published and have enjoyed the creative freedom. Finding opportunities to get public speaking engagements really helps with promotion. Also if there is an independent bookstore in your area, make friends! The local bookstore in my area has been wonderful and helped me get invitations to be guest author etc. I have children's books and have done presentations at schools which has really helped with sales!

Great advice and it's great to be able to connect with others struggling with some of the same issues as my own.
Ibanezakame
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibanezakame.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Ibanezakame »

Im not really interested in being published.
Music doesn't lie. If there is something to be changed in this world, then it can only happen through music.

Jimi Hendrix
whybark
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whybark.html

Post by whybark »

Never give up or take no for an answer
victoriawinters
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: Safe Heaven
Currently Reading: Flight over the cuckoos nest
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by victoriawinters »

What I can suggest to future authors, who want to publish their books (if they want to spend some money on it for editing, cover and reviews) is to check at createspace, it's a self publishing company, part of amazon. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on it or not at all, check the options for Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP). But than it all comes to the marketing. You should know how do promote your book in order to reach a wider audience. Createspace will help you with that as well by giving you advices. They also have a forum where you can ask questions about everything you need to know.
riyanj
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower Series
Currently Reading: In between books
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyanj.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by riyanj »

This is a great article. Thanks for sharing.

I eventually turned to the print on demand route because I got frustrated trying to find an agent and self publishing is costly. It's working out better for me than waiting for that approval letter. Otherwise, the books may still be hiding somewhere on a flash drive. The majority of my frustration comes from what another poster already pointed out: Editing, covers, marketing.
SusanParkerRosen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanparkerrosen.html

Post by SusanParkerRosen »

robstar68 wrote:hi there i'm a published author and the process of finding a publisher was relatively easy. i found it fun and exciting. my book comes out soon and i can't wait, the publisher can't do enough for me and as for marketing and distrurbution it goes out world wide to 194 country and 32 different websites. i'm also going on the radio and in all the regional newspapers. so i would say don't listen to everything you read.
R.S.Williams :D

Exciting news for you! What tips can you give the rest of us...as to the process of finding a publisher? :?:
Aubrey_Archard
Favorite Author: Carlos Castaneda
fav_author_id: 22461

Post by Aubrey_Archard »

There's a lot of good stuff on this thread: My two cents on the matter is that ebook publishing is the way of the future. The person who masters the way of internet publishing will be the master of the foreseeable future. 8)

Return to “Writing Discussion”