How To Get A Book Published

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: How To Get A Book Published

Post by moderntimes »

Scott presents a good method, the traditional path of finding an agent. Which is of course the preferred route.

However, nowadays there are many more small publishers who accept direct submissions without an agent. You can find them via several good internet listings. The publisher's list at the site "preditors and editors" is quite good, in that it lists scam publishers and warns about them.

Now there are a few different types of publishers out there. The major "houses" like Simon & Schuster are not likely to accept unagented queries. But that's just one type. The other type of legitimate publisher will accept queries straight from unagented authors. They'll say so on the website.

But be VERY careful about scam publishers. Now if you're going to self-publish via Amazon and so on, then go ahead and do this. But you might also consider spending a little while querying legit publishers first. Hey, if they take you on, so much the better, right?

However there are scam artists out there too. These are fake publishers who will read your manuscript and then say that it's good but not good enough, and "recommend" a great editing service. Which is very likely the same people. These "editors" will review your manuscript and make changes, charge you a few hundred bucks, and then you re-submit and guess what? Your book is better but still needs work. So the publisher will then recommend a "better" editing service. And you go round and round, paying money for the editing and finally your book just wasn't ever good enough. Sorry.

NEVER bite on this sort of scam. If a publisher who's legit rejects your book, they will likely just say "not for us but thanks" and you simply send queries to the next group of publishers on your list. Rarely you might get a tentative acceptance, where the person reviewing your book recommends some changes and asks you to re-submit if you wish, no promises. But these legit folks will NEVER recommend an editor -- instead they'll just recommend that you make the changes.

There are also "legit" subsidy publishers, often called "vanity" publishers. For a fee, they'll professionally edit your book, recommend changes, help you with typography and mechanical errors, and then format and set up your book in a nice "trade paperback" or even hardcover format, plus offer it on Amazon in Kindle too. And some of these places do excellent work. But YOU pay all up front costs. Such a legit subsidy publisher might charge in the neighborhood of $1000 but they'll do a fine job. And some folks willingly bite the bullet and pay. Again, this is okay if you understand the costs up front and accept that the book is being subsidy (aka "vanity") published.

But there are also PLENTY of smaller publishers, often called "boutique" publishers, who are legitimate and will read your sample chapters and give you an honest "no thanks" or, bingo!, they accept your book!

I'm proof positive of this. I finished my 3rd private detective novel early this year (2015) and began looking for an agent or a direct publisher. I did not want to self-publish. And well, in July a "real" publisher signed me to a 3-book contract! I'm not a "known" author at all. I went the query route as an unknown writer, and yeah, I got plenty of TBNTs (thanks but no thanks) but this small genre-publisher (romance, fantasy, mystery, etc) publisher took an interest and liked all three of my novels. These books will soon be published in both trade paperback and e-book. I'm not bragging (well, maybe a bit...) but the main reason I'm saying this is that hey, if I can be an unknown and get a contract, so might you.

My contract is typical: A very modest advance or no advance at all is to be expected, and a reasonable royalty per copy sold, both e-book and paperback. I'm of course not gonna reveal my terms (that's not allowed in most contracts) but the main point is this: I pay ZERO up front, and ZERO ever! I will be paid a fair royalty on sales. And ALL the editing, revision process, cover art, packaging, and marketing is done by the publisher on my behalf. Of course I'm asked to help via my personal website and Facebook and Twitter pages, but the bulk of the marketing and advertising will be done by the publisher.

Let's face it -- editing and cover art and binding and printing and all the other stuff will likely cost a publisher a few thousand per book. They cannot recover this investment until they make sales. And of course, this prior investment without guaranteed return is the main reason is quite hard to get a contract. But it CAN be done. Right now I'm involved in the review and editing process for the novels, and have sent the publisher my dedication page and author's bio and back cover "mugshot" and have already approved their cover art (which they paid for).

Nice if you can get it, eh? So yeah, you can choose to self publish but if you cannot find an agent, I recommend that you consider searching first for a publisher who accepts submissions from unagented writers.

And don't be dismayed if the "rules" for submission say "no simultaneous submissions" either. NO writer will send ONE query and wait 4-6 weeks and upon refusal, then sends one more, one query at a time. ALL writers send simultaneous queries. What you should NOT do is this: IF a publisher asks for the whole book, you must use common courtesy and suspend further queries until you hear back. A publisher who reads maybe the first 3 chapters and this says "Send the whole book" is quite serious and you need to treat them with respect by halting any subsequent queries until you get that TBNT.

PM me if you have specific questions that I'm not able to post here. But hey, take that chance and as Scott says, search for an agent, but also, search for a publisher too.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
BookLover2280
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=2735">To Kill a Mockingbird</a>
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover2280.html
Latest Review: "Magick & Moonlight" by Marie Lavender
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BookLover2280 »

I am learning now that writing is the easy part. I always thought authors had it so easy just write and get paid for it. It wasn't until I decided to turn my passion into a career that I understood how hard it is. I tell myself that it'll be worth it in the end because it will. To see the fruits of my labors. I certainly have more respect for authors in general not just for their talent, but for the hard work they do. Thank you for this. I'm very glad I found this place. Very helpful.
Latest Review: "Magick & Moonlight" by Marie Lavender
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Writing the book is just the first part of the task. It's necessary to treat the whole process as a career and work toward that goal. Writing is actually a "profession" and needs to be approached that way.

Getting professionally published isn't easy but there's a stepwise procedure for doing so. It takes perseverance. But yes, eventually you do get paid. Real money, too.
MJameus

Post by MJameus »

Great information. I'm self-published and can attest to how difficult it is to distribute and market. It can wear you down but it's the disappointments and discouragement that makes you want to give up. But with determination you can persevere. You are the best person to promote your book. Don't give up and when you hear no move on to the next person.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, as I said, I recently signed a 3-book contract with a non-subsidy "real" publisher but the fact that my publisher will be professionally marketing the novels doesn't release me from my personal obligation to be a partner in the entire process.

I updated my website with new info on the books, have created marketing Facebook & Twitter pages, and will of course be ready for book signings and such. And right now I'm taking a break from the final proofread of the galleys before they go to print on my 1st of the novels, soon to be released in print and e-book formats.

So the hard grunt work is only half over when you write "The End" -- and even if your book is professionally published, you're still obligated to help in the marketing, and usually some of that is in your contract. And of course if your book is self published, all the work falls onto your shoulders.

I can however tell you that the rewards are terrific. My publisher 2 days ago emailed me the ready cover work, back & front for the new novel, and it was a total thrill to see the front with my name, the spine bearing the book title and my name, and the back cover with my own synopsis. A super feeling and that will be augmented greatly when I see those books on the shelf down at the local bookstore.

So keep plugging away, gang, and don't rule out finding a conventional publisher either.
Jen3963
Favorite Author: Jennie E Nicassio
fav_author_id: 43331

Post by Jen3963 »

Finding an agent is almost impossible I've found unless you know someone, or go to trade shows, writing conferences that cost a ton of money. Almost all publishers even the big five are going Print on Demand also which deters agents. Even the bestselling authors are self-publishing on amazon too and are giving up their agents.
I've found also an agent doesn't want to take a chance on a new emerging author. Stephine Meyers and J.K Rowling were lucky because interns read their manuscripts and not the editor and agents.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Well, Jen, I just have to disagree. I don't know your personal experience but for me, yes, finding an agent was difficult. I had an agent a few years ago but she had the temerity to die and so the agency was closed. I tried this year to find an agent but was unsuccessful.

However, on 2 items I don't agree. All the major writers whom I know are agented. I review professionally published mystery novels and ALL the major writers whom I review have agents. I know of NO big name writers who aren't so. Maybe you can tell us which they are?

As for self publishing, again, I know of NO major writers who self publish. All I know have professional publishers and agencies representing them. If not agents, the at least publishers. Maybe you can set me straight by listing some of the major authors who now self publish?

You are right about agents being hard to land. I'm somewhat published but I found it unlikely so I instead went for publishers who accept direct unagented submissions. And I've landed a nice 3-book contract. Not 5 minutes ago I emailed my final approval and final edit changes of the galley proofs to my publisher -- I'd earlier approved the back & front cover art. And next I'll be starting on the 2nd and 3rd novel's galley reviews and cover art approvals too. While writing my 4th novel.

For your info, ALL agencies and publishers have interns or by-the-piece initial screens who first read the submissions and send them up the chain if they are okay. These screeners are carefully vetted and are checked regularly by the senior editors reading the prelim submissions too and if the screener sends too many rejections of good books or approves too many bad ones, that screener loses the job.

Incidentally, 3 days after I accepted the offer from the current publisher with whom I'm working, I received TWO more acceptances from other publishers. So I know that my hard work has paid off in that my novels are acceptable in the professional marketplace.

My point being, someone PLEASE tell me about your PERSONAL experience, not something you've read about which another person posted, where you tried conventional publishers and didn't get picked up. Because if I can do it, and I'm no Stevie King, I think that most any hard working and diligent writer can do the same, IF the book is good. It doesn't have to be a Pulitzer winner, either.

Also, POD (print on demand) has INCREASED the market for small publishers and encouraged them to take on many new writers, simply because the startup costs for hard copy printing are less than before, so the investment is smaller, and this opens the door for those newbie writers.
vibha_sood
Currently Reading: Men who brought light before dawn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vibha-sood.html

Post by vibha_sood »

Dear Scott,
Thanks for the information.

Does getting the books published through literary agents , the only way to get a book published?

Is there any other way to get a book and e-book published?

I found few websites on Google search that offer publishing the books...are those sources to be trusted?

I request You to kindly reply .
I would like to get my books published. I write poems and novels and non-fiction books since my childhood but never got them published.

Kindly help...

Regards,
Vibha
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

vibha -- No an agent is not necessary in this world today. Please read the other messages in this thread.

I just signed a 3-book contract with a professional publisher for my 3 private detective novels. The first book will be published this September and the other 2 will soon be published too. They will all 3 come out in both e-book and paperback. The contract I signed is with a professional publisher who will pay me real royalties and I pay zero.

I'm trying to pass this information to others so they can go through the same path as I have done. I'm not a big famous writer. If I was able to get a real contract where all my books will be published, so can any good writer do the same. This is my point here.

It depends on which genre or type of novel you are trying to get published. Let me recommend a website to you and to all other prospective writers. It's the "preditors and editors" site, which is free and open to all. It's (mod note: name removed) and it has a long list of publishers of all types of writing. Each publisher is described and the publisher website is given. You can then go through the list and find many many publishers who might be amenable to your books. The Preditors and Editors website is NOT a commercial money-making site and they also post warnings about bad scam artists and so on. It is a valuable resource for new writers. And no, I have no connection to this site. I am just trying to pass on this info to all new writers.

The Preditors and Editors site, will probably tell you about which publishers you can trust or not trust. Some are not to be trusted and are scam sites looking to cheat you out of your money. Check them out on this site and you will probably find the info you want.

There are also many other sites online you can check. I recommend a good lengthy google search for the type of book you are writing, if it's mystery or romance or fantasy, there are many open places where you can search for more info. You just have to dig yourself and search. This takes time but it's free.

You can also self publish on Amazon and there are many people here who can help you with setting up your book for this. I did not take this route of self publishing because I was determined to find a professional publisher who would pay ME and who would publish my books commercially. I got very lucky and did so. But it's perfectly okay to self publish if this is what you want.

Check this section on "Writers" and you will find several nice threads about self publishing. You can find others here who self publish on Amazon and are very happy about their work and will also be happy to share the info.

Good luck with your writing.
vibha_sood
Currently Reading: Men who brought light before dawn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vibha-sood.html

Post by vibha_sood »

Dear Sir,

Thanks for providing valuable information and replying to my query.

Thanks & Regards,
Vibha
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

ResearchScholar wrote:
There is something worse than not getting published. It is getting published and then having your work completely ignored by all and sundry. That is the most dispiriting thing to happen.
This is terrifying, lol! But I still have hope :) I've just figured out what I actually want to write about, next step, finish my first draft! I'll worry about the rest another day.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Keep at it, CC, and that's essential for the process -- writing a novel is approx a year long project so you must persevere.

And yeah, not getting attention is a real bummer. I had the "fun" of landing a very small publisher -- a legit non-vanity non-subsidy house and they put out both of my 2 private eye novels a few years back. Then, just afterward, the publisher was acquired by a larger firm which then wanted writers to "help" advertise their own book by paying for that privilege, for which I refused. And they then dropped my books from distribution. Disappointing because the first publisher had treated me very nicely.

Of course the copyright reverted to me and this past July I signed a 3-book contract with another non-subsidy publisher who is now re-publishing the first 2 books as well as my new 3rd private eye novel in the series, and they're really being a lot more proactive.

So yeah, having gone all the way to legit publishing and then not getting many sales? Sigh.

Hopefully that will reverse itself next spring when all my books are posted on Amazon and also in the stores. Keepin' the fingers crossed.

Anyone who wants feedback on commercial submissions (not self publishing or subsidy publishing) can PM me for further info. I'm a "nobody" but having a 3-book contract with good royalties upcoming is a nice step upward and I'm happy to share "how it's done" with anyone.
Connoisseur
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connoisseur.html

Post by Connoisseur »

If I am traditionally published, I hope to God that I earn out my advance, because if you don't earn out your advance...your career as an author is virtually over, at least with that publisher (but publishing is a small community...).
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

Thanks for writing out the general outline Scott! It is a very daunting process, but with the process sketched out, the details can be fleshed out! I always thought that the book had to be written before searching for an agent, and it's interesting to find out that is not always the case.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
tab2gocrazy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tab2gocrazy.html

Post by tab2gocrazy »

I have always been interested in publishing a book. This information has been very helpful.

Return to “Writing Discussion”