How To Get A Book Published

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
dungtran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: How To Get A Book Published

Post by dungtran »

I agree with the opinion of the admin, to be published book, request content or not. Convince publishers
matthewarnold

Post by matthewarnold »

there is no need for a good/famous writer to worry about that there are so many publication house also which support new and talented writers . they publish books as well as they publicizes it .
the tiger fights

Post by the tiger fights »

Very practical and informative posts. With many self publishing houses available, it is easy to have your book printed. But after you gift or sell to family and friends where do you go from there? The Print On Demand world is an uphill battle, with bookstores and reviewers shying away from our products. ( or are they just turning their backs? ) I realize that quality is a concern in the POD market, but there is also a lot of exceptional talent that seems to be sadly overlooked. Marketing and distribution is the next big step and I'd love to gather suggestions we could share. :roll:
Frin

Post by Frin »

Here's the book that helped me: The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide to Staying Out of the Rejection Pile by Noah Lukeman. Basically he is an agent who has seen it all and reveals how your writing will be judged on the first pages, hey, even the first five words. Then he tells you what to do.
Debbianne

Post by Debbianne »

This much I know: Henry Ford was right. He said "whether you think you can or think you can't, you're usually right." So consider that your outlook and the thoughts you think determine how difficult or easy the process becomes. Consciousness creates reality (sorry to get woo-woo on you, but it's dang true.... at any rate, I'm in your corner. : )
Deerae31

Post by Deerae31 »

I just went through learning the hard way how to self-publish my book...It was a tedious process and I'm so happy I made it through...2 editors one robbed me blind and promised to help me set up e-book and left me hanging. So I was literally left to figure it out on my own :?

Learned how to format my book for Amazon
Learned how to Copy Right my book and get ISBN etc.

Learned all about where to get formats for e-books for Barnes Noble..Kindle, and Smashwords

I'm exhausted and wonder if it will all be worth it someday! I guess it's safe to say I completed a dream without a traditional publisher, regardless the outcome, I'm proud to say I'm finally officially an Author :)

I'm an amateur but I had a story to tell and the passion to stick with it...Long hours, drive, and of course money made my dream come true! Don't ever give up on your dream...If there is a will there is a way! Good luck to all of the passionate first time authors..if I can do it ...you can do it!
RHYW

Post by RHYW »

These days there are many places where you can easily get your books published.
If you are a self publisher, I will recommend trying an online solution for your publishing needs. ReadHowYouWant online bookstore has a one-stop solution for authors, self publishers as well as bookstores.
jamesdeser

Post by jamesdeser »

Here are some point for publish your book:-
1. Polish Your Novel
2. Write a Synopsis
3. Write a Query Letter
4. Research Agents and Publishers
5. Send Out Your Queries
6. Prepare for Rejection
7. Start Your Next Project
sandraalvarez

Post by sandraalvarez »

great post. i wish that i'l be able to publish my own work as well. very informative article! thank you for sharing this quality post!
lanscot

Post by lanscot »

yes, please do. i'm definitely looking to hear about others' experiences on the subject.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

The publishing world is changing. Self-publishing is now often called independent publishing, and e-book publishers have sprouted up and can serve as a reasonable intermediary between self-publishing and landing a big-house publisher. But marketing the product remains a challenge. Word-of-mouth still proves to be the most effective.
allexx

Post by allexx »

The excruciatingly difficult parts are distribution and marketing. Even if you have a great product, without any visibility -- through distribution and marketing -- it will be buried.

[
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

allexx wrote:The excruciatingly difficult parts are distribution and marketing.

[
Yes, marketing demands a lot of time, particularly for independent publishers and those who publish with small presses. It's necessary, but it takes time away from writing the next book.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
cahillcahill

Post by cahillcahill »

Publishing books is getting easier if you can find the right media and publishing company. I just found a new company that will be publishing ebooks only and that are looking for writers.
zombiemomma175

Post by zombiemomma175 »

I have a question regarding this. My husband has self-published his first book. It is available on kindle and paperback. His second book should be out by the end of November. We were told by the editors at createspace that after his second book is published that 'maybe' a bigger publisher will approach him. He is averaging about 10 kindle sales per day, and is ranking between 10,000 and 18,000 on Amazon.
So my question is this, could publishers pick him up without us submitting his book?
Thanks

Return to “Writing Discussion”