How To Get A Book Published

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Khaya
Currently Reading: 1Q84
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaya.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Re: How To Get A Book Published

Post by Khaya »

LeeCarver wrote:Scott, your introductory comments (written in 2011) indicate that typical steps in the process of traditional publishing is to get an agent, get a publisher interested by writing a query letter, and receiving an advance while the author writes the book. My experience and that of my author friends is that the book must be written--very well--in order to even get an agent. Advances are for authors who have already published successful books. I have an excellent agent, but I had to pitch a completed book to even get her interested in representing me. I'm now a "hybrid" author--both trad and indie published.
Thanks for clarifying that, that's what I thought. Was confused for a moment thinking I didn't need to have a completed manuscript first.
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
niccirae2003
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by niccirae2003 »

I've just self-published my fifth novel - the last two had some interest from agents but were eventually turned down. Despite this, I am about to try again with my sixth novel as I remind myself that Douglas Kennedy wrote 13 books before finally getting an agent!
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

I use Createspace to publish a book. I have heard people going to Draft2digital for ebook publishing, but also use Amazon. If you do you Amazon, make sure you're not signing up for Kindle Unlimpted Publishing if you want to have your ebook in other stores.
Marcus Nannini
Favorite Author: Marcus A. Nannini
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 66440

Post by Marcus Nannini »

I would not rely on any one, or even any ten formats of a query letter. I believe in constantly striving to improve on a query letter along with tailoring some basic information to meet the likes/dislikes of an agent. I do not sent to any agent simply for the reason the source states the agent is looking for a book in my category. I learned the hard way about that. Instead, I spend a lot of time researching each agent to ascertain exactly what they are seeking now...not two years ago. I may even quote the agent as part of my query and I always keep queries to a single page.
Perhaps I am giving away my screenplay background, but to develop a one line hook, and start with it to get attention, is one of the approaches I have employed with results.
However, research is the first key. Researching to be as close to certain as you can be the agent to whom you are writing is likely to view your query favorably. If they say they will not accept sci-fi, then please do not waste your time or theirs. And always take a look at their recently published books as you might find what they are getting published contradicts what they are asking for.
It is not merely a matter of quantity of queries, it is a matter of targeted quality
Marcus A. Nannini
rajababa

Post by rajababa »

Publishing books is getting easier if you can find the right media and publishing company
My Bookish
Currently Reading: Musicarolina
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by My Bookish »

Publishing book is not only essential for writter but also much important for its readers around the world....
Buchie

Post by Buchie »

The book is informative.i liked it
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

how do you find an editor to help you? would like some suggestion on where to look.
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Zullylema
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Zullylema »

Oh well. It does sound difficult. Im fact, I have a published book myself and it has not sold more than 300 copies. no success there.
now, the book I am writing, I would like to have in published both in print and digital. It is a novel in Spanish. I have seen many times on Amazon publicity for Indies contests. How do I found those?
Marembo
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Marembo »

Great! My dream is to write a play. With that, I am a step set... Maybe shed much light
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Thanks for the information I would like publish my book pretty soon.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Gracenguru

Post by Gracenguru »

Great insight. Hope to get into action soon though it seems tough
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

Good luck to everyone trying! One of my life goals is to publish a book!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I have always thought of writing books ranging from text books to non fiction. I find the post quite informative.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Autumn16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Autumn16 »

Hi, I am new here to the Online Book Club, and found this extremely useful. I have a love for words and stories, I have even started a few novels after writing poetry and what I like to call “purge” books since I learned how to write.

So far I am loving this site and the opportunity to connect to fellow book lovers.

I had considered self publishing through kindle, simply because I was unsure of where to start or whether my writings are worth reading.

Thank you for the post, as it gave me something to consider.

Return to “Writing Discussion”