How much writing do you make public?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: How much writing do you make public?

Post by ALynnPowers »

I don't share way more than I share. I am actually writing a "book" at the moment that I don't plan on anyone ever seeing. It's insane, and I don't think I want anyone to know this side of me. But scenes have been playing themselves in my head nonstop for the past few weeks, and I just have to write them down to get them out.
There will be no going public with these thoughts...
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I make it all public and I don't care if anyone steals it and publishes it either. Most are short and end with a twist so if you are into twists you might like them.

Werewolf
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... 4-Werewolf

The Dreamer
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... he-Dreamer

Crossroads (True Story)
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... Crossroads

iL Sindaco
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... iL-Sindaco

The Kiss (True Story)
http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... ilit=+Kiss

The Wisdom Of Herr Hoffmann (Long but the one I am most proud of)
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... two-parts)

Acceptance
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... hort-Story
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

DATo wrote:I make it all public and I don't care if anyone steals it and publishes it either. Most are short and end with a twist so if you are into twists you might like them.

Werewolf
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... 4-Werewolf

The Dreamer
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... he-Dreamer

Crossroads (True Story)
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... Crossroads

iL Sindaco
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... iL-Sindaco

The Kiss (True Story)
http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... ilit=+Kiss

The Wisdom Of Herr Hoffmann (Long but the one I am most proud of)
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... two-parts)

Acceptance
online-literature.com/forums/showthread ... hort-Story

Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're BACK! :) We were worried about you.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
DATo

Post by DATo »

HOWDY CARLA !!!!

I've been on walkabout for a spell. Quite happy to find that many of the old faces are still here. Hope you and everyone else have been well and HaPpY !!!!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Carla Hurst-Chandler

We were so worried about you...last we heard you were ill...then *poof* you disappeared! :D Glad you are okay!

Sooooooooooooooo....just finished Christopher Moore's latest (sequel to Fool) Serpent of Venice. Laugh out loud funny!
DATo

Post by DATo »

Carla Hurst-Chandler wrote:We were so worried about you...last we heard you were ill...then *poof* you disappeared! :D Glad you are okay!

Sooooooooooooooo....just finished Christopher Moore's latest (sequel to Fool) Serpent of Venice. Laugh out loud funny!

Nope, I've been fine. I was having some technical issues with this site which seem to have cleared up.
I just got done reading Guy de Maupassant's entire oeuvre of short stories and am now reading Greek mythology. CALL A DOCTOR !!!! *LOL*
― Steven Wright
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I used to post everything I wrote on fictionpress, but now I don't. Someone stole something and it bothered me.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

ALynnPowers wrote:I used to post everything I wrote on fictionpress, but now I don't. Someone stole something and it bothered me.
I've seen this happen.
On (a sight for creative minds) I saw someone who copied one of my favorite artists and claimed it was theirs. :evil:
(Don't want to say the sight^)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
mellysw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellysw.html

Post by mellysw »

Up till very recently, none at all. My work was hoarded closely, I didn't even allow friends or family to know I was writing much less let them read it.
Recently I have been letting loose of a little bit here and there. I joined Scribophile and have released the rough draft of one chapter of a novel I am working on. I have littered another website with a few short stories. Very, very gradually I am opening myself up to the world. And I can see a dramatic difference that is making in improving my writing.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Most of my writing I never show to anyone. When I do open up a bit its just to my husband and parents. Mostly I just enjoy writing and I am pretty scared that by putting it out there to get published it might get tarnished for me through rejection (even though I know rejection is pretty normal). I have had an article published before that was pretty well received (non-fiction), but especially with my fiction writing I tend to be the most insecure. In the end though, I'm pretty OK if no one ever sees it. haha.
I love LOVE. <3
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

I rarely show my work to anybody. I might quote something I've written in one of my novels but to actually let somebody read them? Not going to happen.

I've got one short story that I let people read if they get insistent and I did let people read one after I submitted it to a writing contest.

I've got three series done and ready for editing and working on the fourth and I've never let a soul see them. When someone comes into my office, I immediately minimize the screen and I never leave it up on the screen when I leave the room.
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html

Post by Skillian »

Khudecek you're going to be one of those super awesome authors that isn't famous until after they die. haha When who ever you leave your stuff to inherits it.... that is if they can guess your password. haha.
I love LOVE. <3
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html

Post by khudecek »

I don't know if I'll be famous or not and as lame as this is going to sound, I don't really care. I write because I love it. :)

My kids are going to have a great time going through my computer after I die. They're going to find out that Mom had some passion in her, lol.
Carla Hurst-Chandler

khudecek wrote:I don't know if I'll be famous or not and as lame as this is going to sound, I don't really care. I write because I love it. :)

My kids are going to have a great time going through my computer after I die. They're going to find out that Mom had some passion in her, lol.
Not lame at all. Understand completely :D Not everything is about fame or money. My first book was written for my kids (and now my grandkids.) I am thrilled that others bought it, but I would have been just as happy if no one had ever read it except them. :D
Indhira_Me
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indhira-me.html

Post by Indhira_Me »

I have written a nice story - just bits and pieces but never showed it to anyone else than my little sister. She said it was very imaginative, but I still don't know whether she said it out of love for me or if she really meant it.

Return to “Writing Discussion”