An Ordinary Tale

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
6Anna9
Bookshelf Size: 0

An Ordinary Tale

Post by 6Anna9 »

This is for Dori who asked about my writing. This is the beginning of a small piece I have begun to write. Hope you like it. Anna :oops:

BEGINNING

Lest anyone should say that even from childhood great things were expected from us, I will tell you different. It seems all those years that would later cause us pain and struggle have now been long forgotten or become a myth. In our childhood we were as all children should be; loud, obnoxious and innocent of mind. Although age hinders me I still remember those young faces of my friends; all whom are now dead. Forsynthia’s was always acting the oldest even though she was younger in her years then many of the boys in our notorious group. The ‘Winged’ we used to call ourselves. To think of such a name now I can only shake my head with mirth. We thought ourselves free and boundless. If only we knew what cost that freedom would come at. Freedom was something all of us; my friends, our parents and many of the beings akin to us, aspired to. For freedom was something little know of although at our young age we did not understand that.

We are usually not noticeable to the human race although there are some exceptions. My best friend Forsythia Craven was one of those exceptions. While I, as a child, had red, unruly, curly hair and bright blue eyes, Forsythia had leaf green, long, matted hair and acid green eyes. Even I, as cultured as I thought I was, was shocked to see someone of green hair and bark-like skin. For Forsynthia is indeed a Dyrad; a tree-like being who can shape-shift into the form of a specific tree. I say a specific tree as I had only ever seen Forsynthia take the form of a willow tree. ‘A creature’ you would call her. I was no creature but nor was I human.

As a babe I grew up in northern England, in a small village with my parents and many humans. At birth no difference between species can be seen however the appearance of a newborn babe is like water, continuously changing. Although Synthia’s changes would have been apparent almost after two weeks, no differences were seen in me until I was of the age of 6. For although we are not unlike humans, elementals always acquire a trait that is select to our species. Those traits can vary whether it is an odd coloured fleck in the eye, obscure mark on the skin or a streak in the hair.

I acquired the obscure mark that might have looked similar to a humans ‘birthmark’. The same mark is still with me now on the left blade of my shoulder. I have always mused over how alike it is in appearance to that of the humans ‘five-fold mark’. I believe it originated from the celts.

Unlike myself, Magna Le Vander, the third female member of the ‘Winged’ group and another very good friend of mine, had obtained that streak in her hair. If it had only been a strange colour I would have wondered why she was refused by many of the families who came to the orphanage, to adopt a child. However, unfortunately for Magna her streak was an alive, silvery ribbon of water that rippled down the left side of her head.

I mentioned that we were elementals and since you humans may not understand this term I will try and explain it to you. Elementals are beings who retain the power to manipulate elements or objects. As you would say in your language we possess ‘supernatural powers’. Although my parents were naïve enough to believe I would not possess this power, I was very slow in showing any ability.

~~~~~~PAST~~~~~~~~~~~

“Synthia?!” A small, chubby, six year old Alexia yelled as she ran about a small clearing in the woods, searching for her best friend. Growing anxious and cross Alexia ran once more about the edges of the clearing. She was far too frightened to wonder the woods be herself; with Synthia she felt safe. But Synthia had not come out from hiding despite Alexia’s shouts. Two little, fat tears dribbled down her cheeks. The fun of searching for her friend, as they played hide and seek had long since gone as the sky above darkened. It was still the afternoon but lately the black night had been creeping up earlier and earlier to rob the sun of her light.
“SYN-THIA?!” Alexia yelled louder, chocking on her tears.

Not far off, one of the small willows came to life as it staggered up from the creeks edge. Shaking herself off and picking out the leaves in her hair, Forsynthia wobbled towards the clearing where she had heard Alex crying for her. Coming into clear view of the clearing and a distraught Alex, Synthia grinned wickedly.
“I thought you had given up on me?” she said trying to look as innocent as possible. Alex gave an angry yell and pounced on her friend.
“I hate you, I hate you!” Alex growled hitting Synthia with her small fists. Synthia, who despite being no older than Alex, was quite taller and was able to push Alex off her. “Okay I give up!” she laughed, “Will you forgive me for worrying you?”
Alex sat trying to wipe away the tear stains on her cheeks. She hiccupped and stood up, “You didn’t worry me, I was just...” she stopped and quickly changed tactics, “Let’s go before Xvin is sent out to find us and we get into real trouble.”
Forsynthia smiled and got up off the ground moving to follow Alex.
Hurriedly the two girls ran back towards the larger clearing where their parents and friends had set up camp. “Any plans for tonight?” Synthia said trying to breathe steadily. Alex glanced across at her and grinned impishly before bellowing out their war cry.

“Nos pugna pro Licentia!”*

END

* We fight for Liberty
Dori

Post by Dori »

Well, thanks for sharing that with us. I enjoyed it and I'm eager to see more.
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
Overeating

Post by Overeating »

We are usually not noticeable to the human race although there are some exceptions. My best friend Forsythia Craven was one of those exceptions. While I, as a child, had red, unruly, curly hair and bright blue eyes, Forsythia had leaf green, long, matted hair and acid green eyes. Even I, as cultured as I thought I was, was shocked to see someone of green hair and bark-like skin.

Return to “Writing Discussion”