Tell me what you think of the Preface please. =]

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Phobophobia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Tell me what you think of the Preface please. =]

Post by Phobophobia »

Hey guys. I'm writing my first story, so I need some tips and advice. What do you think of this so far?

Preface:
It took sheer will, something she knew all too well, to crawl her frail body over to the scale, just three feet away. All that Liz wanted was to see the printout read 69 pounds. It was the only solution to her problems, the only exit to her emotional struggles, and her only entrance to pure bliss and contentment.
She pushed herself over the edge, and flexed every weak muscle in her body in order to stay upright. She felt the ice cold of the smooth metal on the soles of her feet. It sent a chill down her spine. She hesitantly glanced over the digital read, half expecting it to erupt in her face. Punishment.
This was a matter of life or death. Two digits that would push her over the edge; the edge that led to a long and painful drop into a black hole. The magnetic poles were pulling her in, grasping the last sense of control she had left, and trying to pull it overboard – like everything else in her life. Everything that had fallen into the black hole. Liz wasn’t ready to feed her soul and body into something so pure and evil, something so heart wrenching. The wrath of death.
A permanent solution. Forever stays, never smudges, like a jet black Sharpie.
Liz never thought she was fat. Not then, and not now.
All she ever wanted was to be in control.

One year earlier...

Chapter 1:
Liz beamed at the reflecting image of herself in the mirror. It was the first day of freshman year, and she wanted to look perfect. She woke up at the crack of dawn to straighten her hair, and she had finally decided to wear her super dark wash skinny jeans, a slouchy charcoal grey cardigan, and a black sequin tank underneath. Liz made it her personal mission to express herself through clothing, as fashion had always been her prime interest. Today she felt on top of the world, and she was amplifying that through her clothing.
Liz ran over to the mirror and slicked on a coat of peachy lipgloss, and checked her appearance one last time before she would be implicating first impressions on everyone.
Perfect.
Phobophobia

Post by Phobophobia »

Bump.
cbcorysgirl

Post by cbcorysgirl »

Phobophobia, Keep it up I really think you have a good start!
Kitten

Post by Kitten »

I'm definately want to know more about this girl.
star8837

Post by star8837 »

I thought it a very interesting read it got my attention , lots of feelings pouring through the words, wouldnt mind reading a book like this , Thumbs up :D
saisai81

Post by saisai81 »

it's good.. looking forward to read the whole story.. great one ..
gemmie1

Post by gemmie1 »

Is this a first draft?

Ph/ph ... Please bear in mind this is JMO ... I can see you are on to something but I would not read any further because it is too wordy and a little too emotive. I prefer to have some thinking to be done while I read, rather than have the author tell me everything.

Writing is like sculpting from a raw block of wood. Respect to you for having made a good start.
booklover2016
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover2016.html

Post by booklover2016 »

reveal more please!
willow23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willow23.html

Post by willow23 »

wow that was good i am hooked would love to read more.

Return to “Writing Discussion”