How to get started as a freelance writer?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
MiriamReads
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriamreads.html

How to get started as a freelance writer?

Post by MiriamReads »

I have a website and some pieces in my portfolio.I currently work for an agency but the pay isn't great.
How do you find clients?
I am now trying to find a niche, I enjoy digital marketing and psychology.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I recently signed up on the website Upwork. It helps connect you with people in need of writing services. I am not as active on it as I should be, so I haven't gotten any work yet, but I'm still trying because I'd really like to work as a freelance writer.
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

I'm on Upwork as well, and it's been my experience that it takes a bit to get some traction. If you've got good credentials and you can be quick about turnaround time, I think Upwork is the place to start, but maybe spread the word on other social media and writing websites? A bit of research into how others have gotten started might be worth a shot, too. I'm about where you are in terms of just starting out, so hopefully we'll both be pros at this one day! :)
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
boesbadwolf
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by boesbadwolf »

I got started on Fiverr. It's similar to Upwork in that it can be difficult to start out; there are so many people offering freelance writing services. However, after that first review, work has been coming in for me fairly consistently.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I think the best way to find clients is through social media. just make a big audience to you in whatever the social media you use and through that you can advertise your work freely and find clients easily
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”