Are There Any Good Writing Schools Online?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
jhmende
Currently Reading: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhmende.html
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.

Are There Any Good Writing Schools Online?

Post by jhmende »

I'm an aspiring author who's trying to look into a writing career. Right now, I've been researching different online writing classes that I can take to help further my skill level. I've looked at places like "Gotham Writers" and "Writer's Village University." I just wanted to know: are there any of you who have taken online writing classes? And can you tell me which ones you like or dislike? Which are good, which are not so good?
Latest Review: "Blowing Sandstorm" by Horace Crenshaw, Jr.
Booknutz
Currently Reading: Not-So-Secret Secrets of Success
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booknutz.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Booknutz »

I haven't found any "writing schools" per say, but I have found several writing courses on Skillshare. I have found them to be very helpful in planning and executing the start of my first book. I especially found the course in Writing a Character Study priceless. I will be checking back on this conversation, because I would be interested, as well in writing schools.
Renee24
Currently Reading: The Heist
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee24.html

Post by Renee24 »

I'm actually going back to school and studying Creative Writing in Fiction. I'm going to SNHU. It is an online University. It might be expensive but you can get financial aid. You might want to try your local library, mine has lots of classes on writing and such. Good luck!
Renee
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I am definitely going to keep an eye on this post because I have been trying to find some classes myself. I have heard of SNHU so please let me know how that goes! Thank you Booknutz for saying that about Skillshare. As soon as I am done here, I am going to check that out.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Renee24

Post by Renee24 »

Your welcome, I don't start for another couple of weeks, but so far they have been very helpful compared to the other ones I tried. I think one was a scam, she just wanted more clients instead of helping the client she had. lol
Good luck!
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

For me, I think that the best writing school on the internet is the internet itself. Find a bunch of sites that have ways to submit stories, and post as many as you can. Ask for criticism, ideas, and anything else people have to offer. Then wait for the comments to show up. It might take while, so keep writing while you wait. Once you have a few comments, see what the people say. You might have a few junk comments, or people discouraging you or saying that you're a bad writer. But there should be a few people with actual constructive criticism. Those are the ones you pay attention to. Read them, take the advice to heart. See what works and what doesn't work. Like this, you will inevitably become a better writer.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Renee24

Post by Renee24 »

Really? I never thought about that, I should google that, thanks for the tip! I've always taken bad criticism as a way to learn what needs work, since I know I'm rusty these days. lol
Immaculata Uduma
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculata-uduma.html

Post by Immaculata Uduma »

For quiet sometiime now,i have been searching to get one but to no avail.The best wrting school so far is research on already written work.Read what has been written and get the method and pattern of writing.Thank you.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I heard about a school but for children writers. It was called Children Institute or something like that. I was going to try for it but I changed my mind. Its so hard to trust a lot of the stuff that is online.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Writer's Digest University is amazing, I have taken several courses through them. They offer specialized courses based on the genre you're interested in, be it romance, suspense, playwriting, poetry, etc. They also provide information on how to get published, post articles related to writing, and offer several writing prompts, challenges, and contests.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I haven't tried any. So I don't know. But there are apps that you can use to improve and correct your writing such as whitesmoke, grammarly etc.
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Writing Discussion”