Is seclusion important for creative writing

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Is seclusion important for creative writing

Post by sourav15 »

So, a lot of ideas come from day to day life itself but there's a chaotic factor involved. Do seclusion or isolation help? To let the mind wander, do we need physical space along with a wide mind space?
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Central
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-central.html

Post by Central »

It'll depend on the person. Some people write well when people are around, others are better off by themselves.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Yes, when I write I have to be completely alone or I find that I cant concentrate on my work. I need to be alone and I can't hear any sounds because it will distract me as well. Basically I become a total recluse.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

For me, inspiration comes when I am with people and when I am without; I get ideas from everything, but to actually write it all down, I need to be alone. My friends usually know when I am working on something because they will not hear from me while I'm working on a piece. If I get into a groove, I have to keep working on it every day and don't like to be distracted.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

I think the key is distraction. Do people distract you? Write alone. Is it more distracting to be alone? Then write with your friends. Does music take you out of the words? Then silence is golden. Is it impossible to focus without music? Then get your headphones ready and write to whatever tune you like.

Not only that, but you might be feeling a different environment at different times. A quiet, isolated location might be best one day, but the next you might feel better with a populated area with music playing. It all depends on your personality, and what you're feeling at any given time.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I think Randomgold made a very sagacious comment. Personally, I find that lines come to me spontaneously and then I have to quickly write them down. I like to write with music on and maybe even while reading other people's work to draw inspiration from their words. So, I would have to say that for me seclusion is not necessary but I think it can be helpful if you want to develop your own voice, i.e, your very own style of writing that is unbiased by the distractions of life.
Selena Marie price

Post by Selena Marie price »

yeah i agree with you all it dose depend on the person and everyone has different ideas on writing a book and if they really love to write books or stories and if the person is really in the writing they are doing and if you don't enjoy doing it the story will turn out bad and no one wants to read it i enjoy writing stories and i even enjoy when people enjoys reading it
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336

Post by katiestardis »

I think it really depends on the person. Personally, I don't require absolute seclusion when writing because I have the ability to escape within myself. When I start writing, I cease to hear anything going on around me in reality. The only thing with that is that I also need to leave my personal writing world every few minutes to make sure things are still alright in the real world. haha.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

katiestardis wrote:I think it really depends on the person. Personally, I don't require absolute seclusion when writing because I have the ability to escape within myself. When I start writing, I cease to hear anything going on around me in reality. The only thing with that is that I also need to leave my personal writing world every few minutes to make sure things are still alright in the real world. haha.
Goodness! I just imagined you with your nose stuck in a laptop while everyone else in the cafe is evacuating from fire/zombies/mutant bugs/etc! :lol2:
katiestardis
Currently Reading: Just Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 336

Post by katiestardis »

katiesquilts wrote:
katiestardis wrote:I think it really depends on the person. Personally, I don't require absolute seclusion when writing because I have the ability to escape within myself. When I start writing, I cease to hear anything going on around me in reality. The only thing with that is that I also need to leave my personal writing world every few minutes to make sure things are still alright in the real world. haha.
Goodness! I just imagined you with your nose stuck in a laptop while everyone else in the cafe is evacuating from fire/zombies/mutant bugs/etc! :lol2:
Haha! Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

I mostly write alone because then I'm not distracted. I think that it is best to write when one is alone and can focus on the task at hand, but after that I think the writing process becomes much more about including others. Your writing space and atmosphere is yours to establish, but a group of friends, colleagues, or even relatives is good to have once the written work is done.

Plus, I've found you need all the support you can get once revision time comes around . . .
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Rattusv

Post by Rattusv »

The world around us is the well spring for our creativity. Seclusion isn't important for my creative writing. Isolation on the other hand helps keep me focused when channeling my creativity.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

For me it is. I guess it's important to hear your own thoughts, and to focus on what and how you feel. Seclusion isn't necessarily what a writer needs, maybe just silence will do.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
morde
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morde.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by morde »

For deep concentration a silent place is more conducive. I prefer sitting around silent people doing my staff, their presence is a motivating factor.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

I prefer to be alone. If there are people around me I will zone into their conversations and can't "hear myself think".

Return to “Writing Discussion”