Writing Samples (for possible job)

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Mys
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys.html

Writing Samples (for possible job)

Post by Mys »

Hello Readers,

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate any help with this.

Till this point writing has been a hobby, and I decided to take a step into a writing career in the form of freelance.

All the jobs I am looking at require writing samples. Most of what I have written are background information in relation to stories, or character profiles. I haven’t written any essays or anything in a while.

I am curious if anyone has submitted writing samples before: What did you submit? How long was? And anything else that might be helpful.

Thank you everyone!
mhawki36
Currently Reading: Doing Time
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhawki36.html

Post by mhawki36 »

I actually had to submit a writing sample for a freelance job a few days ago! I personally was going for a job writing articles, so I thought it was fitting to use a research paper I did as my sample. It was small for a research paper; about four or five pages. I think the best thing you can do is see what would fit well with the job you are applying for. If it is a lot of editing, I would go for a piece with very good grammar and form. For a very general job such as writing an occasional pop culture article, I would probably compile a set of a few pieces that show your craft. I wouldn't go over five (double spaced) pages myself, but I would try to submit something that shows my flexibility and skill in relation to the job I am applying for.

Return to “Writing Discussion”