I want to create my own Manga

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
poetrythanki
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrythanki.html
Latest Review: "Anchor of Hope" by Kiah Stephens

I want to create my own Manga

Post by poetrythanki »

I love writing and aspire to be an author some day. I mostly write paranormal/fantasy for the young and new adult. But recently I've been very intrigued by Manga/Anime and I want to make/write my own thing someday.

If you've heard about Fairy Tail, my plot is a bit similar to it. Instead of magic, I want to write about a guild/organization who takes job request from various mythical creatures. There's this amateur team of young people who tries to help a banshee but they screw up which results into a catastrophe where mythical fairy queen wants to annihilate the humans.

(The story would fall under Humor & Fantasy)

I'm so enthusiastic about my plot which I think would be good as a manga but the problem is I can't draw. I have zero talent when it comes to painting or drawing something. And I'm too busy writing, I don't want to spend the time learning how to draw because art is not my thing.

What to do? Should I hire an artist? Or just write a novel instead?
ShayRedd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ShayRedd »

I have had similar dilemmas in the past, and I have to tell you, an important aspect of being a sucessful mangaka is being a decent artist. If you have enough of a plot line, and enough deviations from Fairy Tail to make it your own story, go ahead and hire an artist, or find a like-minded friend who can draw and is willing to go into business with you. If it were me, however, I would go ahead and turn it into a novel. This is primarily because it would allow your story to have complete creative riegn without being bound by your artistic shortcomings or the hired artist's idea. Plus, in my opinion, novels allow you to explore a characters thoughts in ways a manga can never do, meaning it can potentially carry a lot more depth.
Hope this advise helped
-SHAY (artist & writer btw)
poetrythanki
Currently Reading: A Court of Mist and Fury
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poetrythanki.html

Post by poetrythanki »

ShayRedd wrote:I have had similar dilemmas in the past, and I have to tell you, an important aspect of being a sucessful mangaka is being a decent artist. If you have enough of a plot line, and enough deviations from Fairy Tail to make it your own story, go ahead and hire an artist, or find a like-minded friend who can draw and is willing to go into business with you. If it were me, however, I would go ahead and turn it into a novel. This is primarily because it would allow your story to have complete creative riegn without being bound by your artistic shortcomings or the hired artist's idea. Plus, in my opinion, novels allow you to explore a characters thoughts in ways a manga can never do, meaning it can potentially carry a lot more depth.
Hope this advise helped
-SHAY (artist & writer btw)
Thanks a lot, Shay. You're right. Maybe I'll turn it into a novel. Writing it would be more fun, I guess. Thanks a lot :D
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

These days, there's a surprising amount of overlap between then two. There are a lot of Japanese web and light novels being turning into manga, and I'd imagine the inverse is happening as somewhere or other. After all, Western comics have novels, and movies get turned into books all the time, so why not manga?
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I say go for it! Just remember that even Japanese manga is not drawn by just one person. There are usually 2~4 assistants for every mangaka, each of whom specializes in a specific aspect of drawing manga (such as inking, applying screentone, etc.)
If you're going to draw your own manga, you either have to do ALL of it yourself, or you'll have to find someone to help you. Either way, good luck! It sounds like an interesting storyline. :D
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

If drawing is something you're interested in and think you have a talent for, you can try drawing a few panels vs. writing a few pages in novel format and see which one calls out to you more. You may find one becomes the planning/growth tool for the other, or you may even wind up doing both simultaneously (kind of like a light novel vs. a manga). You won't know until you try, and your storyline sounds fascinating. Now it's just a matter of working out what platform suits it and you more, and then what/who you need to make it happen.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Also, you should search for manga contests online! You don't have to create an entire book, just submit a completed chapter or two for a chance to have it actually published! There are a couple different contests, just be sure you read and follow the rules carefully!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Ahh... a fellow manga fan! I love graphic novels and I also want to write my own someday too. Especially since comics and graphic novels have become more popular in the last few years. I've read books on the craft but it just still seemed so complicated to me. I'm sure someday, we'll both get into the business :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Writing Discussion”