Best Way to Enter in Freelance Writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
mhem36
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhem36.html

Best Way to Enter in Freelance Writing?

Post by mhem36 »

Hi writers! I am brand new to the forums and thought this would be an appropriate place to get some great feedback. I am looking into getting into freelance works, specifically with writing, reading, or content production. I was curious as to what people have had success with in the beginning.

I do not have a degree in English or journalism, so I've been finding it difficult to find a job that will give me a shot. I have considered doing book reviews, which is how I ended up on this site, editing, blog writing (centered around books and tea), or doing videos on YouTube (again, centered around books and tea). Just looking for a side job right now that encompasses my love of reading and writing, but having difficulty picking the best option. Any suggestions would be great!
Jvt-booklover
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvt-booklover.html

Post by Jvt-booklover »

What a great topic. I'm interested in this too. Hope you get some great ideas.
AMagnificentAmberson
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by AMagnificentAmberson »

I have been working as a freelancer for several years. A degree isn't necessary, though it does make you much more competitive.

You just need to get your foot in the door, give people a chance to see what you can do. I started on Textbroker because my aunt was excited about it as a way to make extra money. I wouldn't recommend it as a main source but it can help you hone some basic skills, like meeting people's demands and improving your grammar, and you'll get paid a little to do practice. The pay is okay only if you focus on short pieces like product descriptions or anything you can crank out with little to no research.

I then moved on to oDesk and Elance. Both are gone now because they merged into Upwork. Many, many people recommend avoiding "content mills" like these, while others love them. I loved Elance. oDesk and Upwork haven't worked for me because I keep getting horrible clients that are ruining my reputation. They try to do something sketchy so I complain and I end up with bad feedback. :(

So, my advice from what I have already done and what I think I could have improved... Try more than one thing.

First thing: Browse some content mills to see if there is one or more you like. You can get quality, steady work on content mills if you wade through all the people expecting you to work for pittance. Guru looks legit, but I haven't really tried it out. I just found out about Copywriter because I'm managing some writers from that platform for a web design guy's clients. Can't say what they're like except they seem to be considerate of their writers(based on the things they tell buyers). ...They make it known that perfection is not their specialty... Many people seem to do fine on Upwork, so I won't rule it out for you based on my experience.

Second thing: go ahead and start making yourself a presence outside of a content mill. Create a blog, share content on places like Huffington Post, who take submissions from anyone if they like their work. This way you can get your name out there. Create a website or LinkedIn profile for people to contact you about work.

Whether you have a degree or not, people will pay you to write for them if they like your work. You can show them your style, prove you have the English cred they're looking for, and know how to get your site or profile ranking on Google(SEO), and they're set.

Tips:
-Look for writers whose writing style, brand, and career choices you admire and try to mimic them(I wish I had thought of this sooner).
-Get on some newsletters or follow social media profiles about the type of writing you're interested in so you get a constant education.
-Use keywords in your LinkedIn profile(and everywhere else). Somebody contacted me about a job within days of updating my LinkedIn profile.
-Create a brand for yourself, meaning, very simply, that you should decide what you offer that no one else does and craft your website, LinkedIn profile, social media, and job pitches around this idea.
-Charge a median rate, so people see your value, but you don't run people off taking a risk on you when you're new.

Feel free to ask me questions.
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

Really very conducive as I am very knew in this field but I am very happy to know that this is the right place to resume my work.
Rasidat
Currently Reading: What is left of what is right?
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rasidat »

The best way to enter into freelancing?
I got some tips for you.

-Identify your niche in writing.
- Create a professional website.
- Create your professional e-mail address.
- Write some posts, at most ten posts.
- Pitch some great websites to gain the social proof.
- Cold- pitch clients and use the social proofs you got to send them an email offering to write contents for them.

With these I believe you'll recieve emails from those clients asking for your rates.

Try it out.

Return to “Writing Discussion”